News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Trading draft picks

Started by LennG, March 13, 2017, 06:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Granted #1's are valuable, but back in the 'old days' as some were referring, we had, what, 17 picks? So trading away a few wasn't as meaningful as it might be today.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Giant Jim

If they keep their defense in tact, feel Eli still has it, and a left tackle and TE would push them deep into the playoffs, why not trade some future to fill 2 gaps? The salary cap would make it difficult for any team to trade too many picks.

Bill Parcells signed Curtis Martin to the Jets, but sent a #1 to New England. He said, "think of Martin as our 1st round pick. That worked out well for the Jets.

Well Mara traded picks & youth in 1961 to boost their aging team. It got them to 3 championship games before most of those players ran out of gas. Was it worth it? Most people think so. The team started sinking to all time lows in 1964, but could've dug themselves out in a few years if they drafted right the years following the trades. No matter what, they would've sunk some after having so many starters retire in a 2 or 3 year span.

andrew_nyGiants

Quote from: files58 on March 13, 2017, 11:47:53 PM
It may be ancient history but in 1971 the Giants traded their #1 to the Bears for C Bob Hyland and CB Bennie MaCrae. The Giants were 4-10, and the Bears with the #3 took OT Lionel Antoine who played 6 seasons. They also traded a #1 to Dallas for QB Craig Morton. That overall #1 turned into the HOF Manster DT Randy White.

It doesn't matter how many times I read this story I am always equally angry and sick each time.

Imagine giving up a #1 overall for Craig Morton. I know he was a good QB in his prime but he was pretty much done when we got him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From Simms to Eli (with an assist from Hoss) our Super Bowl Quarterbacks. Great defense and clutch QB performances...NY Giants Championship football.

I have an old profile still floating around: andrew_nyg....I am one and the same!

AZGiantFan

The value of draft picks increased significantly with the addition of the rookie cap.  Parcell's comment made sense then, but not so much now. 
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll