Author Topic: Winter Storm Stella  (Read 379 times)

Jolly Blue Giant

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 106
    • View Profile
Winter Storm Stella
« on: March 14, 2017, 01:32:55 PM »
I don't know about everyone else, but I am buried in snow. I went out and cleared the driveway with the snowblower early this morning and again around noon and it's already snowed in.

Virtual ban on all driving in Broome County, only emergency vehicles allowed in Cortland County (I live near the county line of both) yet a UPS truck stopped on the road and trudged up the driveway to deliver a package for me - a wooden spatula carved to work good for making a roux. Couldn't believe it. I certainly could've lived a couple days without a wooden spoon and certainly no reason for a driver to risk his life to get it to me.

So far, I'd say we are short of 2 feet of snow, but it's still coming down with no relief in sight

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 956
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
Re: Winter Storm Stella
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 01:40:56 PM »
I am near the stadium and I am seeing more sleet than snow.  Haven't been outside but I suspect it's pretty heavy even if the total inches are not that great.
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

gary_mitchell31

• All-Pro
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 01:43:28 PM »
Over where I'm at it's barely 6 inches but those plow trucks was coming through 👍

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 01:44:15 PM »
I don't know about everyone else, but I am buried in snow. I went out and cleared the driveway with the snowblower early this morning and again around noon and it's already snowed in.

Virtual ban on all driving in Broome County, only emergency vehicles allowed in Cortland County (I live near the county line of both) yet a UPS truck stopped on the road and trudged up the driveway to deliver a package for me - a wooden spatula carved to work good for making a roux. Couldn't believe it. I certainly could've lived a couple days without a wooden spoon and certainly no reason for a driver to risk his life to get it to me.

So far, I'd say we are short of 2 feet of snow, but it's still coming down with no relief in sight

Stay safe
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Jolly Blue Giant

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 01:47:42 PM »
Stay safe

Thanks. I am not going out on the road today - period. The snowplows have been unable to keep up with the snow and the roads are a mess...not to mention, driving is banned for the day.

Seems to me the storm shifted north as it moved west and just enough to paralyze my region while only skirting NYC and Jersey.

This news article shows how the storm shifted and I am getting what you guys in NYC and Jersey were supposed to get. http://auburnpub.com/blogs/eye_on_ny/ny-redeploying-national-guard-plows-to-broome-county-epicenter-of/article_d827f2aa-08bc-11e7-9bc7-8b4a7fa2641f.html

Looking out my back door:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 02:15:24 PM by Jolly Blue Giant »

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 02:47:44 PM »
I'm in Northern Bergen County and we got about 8 inches by 9am and then the sleet came and made it heavy so it took time to clear it. It's the kind of storm here that you have to stay on top of. It's windy and cold and still sleeting. Got another inch or two of sleet. I'll go back out at around 3:30 so I don't have a sheet of ice tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

gary_mitchell31

• All-Pro
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 02:49:47 PM »
This is how my street looks right now I live in Essex County

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

jimv

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 362
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 04:41:27 PM »
Up here in southern Maine, I had 8.7" of snow at 4 PM & it's still snowing.  Rain & sleet really suck in winter storms.  Keep safe, guys.

jimv

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 04:42:45 PM »
BTW, what's with this name "Stella?" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Jolly Blue Giant

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2017, 05:20:21 PM »
I just came in from snowblowing the driveway for the third time today. It's far too cold for rain and the snow has actually picked up. We are over 2 feet and it just keeps on coming down hard. Unfortunately, the wind is picking up so drifting is a problem. All the roads in my county and surrounding counties are still closed. Route 81 has been closed to trucks since 10 AM and closed to all vehicles since 2 PM.

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2017, 05:31:19 PM »
I got in for nearly 2 hours of cleaning.  the stuff isn't all that deep for me, but it's heavy as anything.   Nasty cold etc

Jolly Blue Giant

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 06:09:31 PM »
I got in for nearly 2 hours of cleaning.  the stuff isn't all that deep for me, but it's heavy as anything.   Nasty cold etc

Yeah, heavy wet snow is a bitch to shovel and plugs up snow blowers. The stuff we have isn't wet, just deep. The wind has picked up so it's really nasty work. I wear my ski bibs, ski masks, goggles, and the whole works and I still freeze. I have the biggest snow blower made (well, by Troy-bilt - a special order) which has heated grips and can easily blow snow 20 feet, but when it comes right back at you it sucks. I have a little joy stick to control the shoot, but whenever I change directions, there's that single second that buries me in snow. I can't imagine trying to shovel this crap. At my age I'd be a candidate for a heart attack if I tried shoveling anything more than 15 minutes digging out my car. My driveway is 80' long and the parking lot is 60' X 40' so without a snow blower I'd be screwed. Or I'd pay my buddy a 100.00 to plow it and leave enough snow that I still have to shovel for a half hour cleaning it up. After spending 800 - 1000 bucks a year for plowing, I broke down and got the snow blower. Weather has been so nice up to now that I thought it was a waste of money. Really glad I got it now

weeze

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 149
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 06:35:03 PM »
all I got was some big thunder boomers last night and a couple inchs of rain. nothing stuck!  :ok:
PORSCHE =there is NO substitute!

Jolly Blue Giant

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 06:41:02 PM »
all I got was some big thunder boomers last night and a couple inchs of rain. nothing stuck!  :ok:

Lucky you. I have more than 2 feet and the snow is coming down at 6:30 PM heavier than it has all day. Route 11 (a major highway in front of my house) is unrecognizable as a road and every road (major and minor) is closed in my county and surrounding every county that borders mine. Luckily, we haven't lost power (knock on wood), but I have the generator in place and gassed up just in case. This is the storm that was supposed to hit Northern NJ and NYC, but it decided to go north on its way east and clobbered us in the Southern Tier of Upstate New York. It's incredible how much snow we've gotten and how much is still coming down.

jimv

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2017, 07:03:53 PM »
Hey Jolly, watch out what you do with that Troy Built! :yes: :yes: :yes:  Don't cover it too soon like I did. ~X(   As of 6 PM tonight, I'm only a half inch short of 100" for the Season. =D> =D> =D>