Author Topic: Winter Storm Stella  (Read 286 times)

Jolly Blue Giant

• All-Pro
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 69
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Storm Stella
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2017, 07:12:54 PM »
Hey Jolly, watch out what you do with that Troy Built! :yes: :yes: :yes:  Don't cover it too soon like I did. ~X(   As of 6 PM tonight, I'm only a half inch short of 100" for the Season. =D> =D> =D>

Well, it's getting a workout today. Here's a picture of my cars that I haven't bothered to dig out yet, but I've run the snow blower around them several times so I can dig them out when I'm ready. I'm just hoping this is winter's last hurrah.

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 489
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2017, 09:02:20 PM »
JBG, you really got hammered. I have the same amount to clean up with a 100 foot driveway and about 800 Sq ft of Patio. I have pavers and Belgium block borders so I can't trust a plow and I use a two cycle Toro with rubber blades so as not to score the pavers. The thing is that it's got to be pushed and to turn the shoot it's bend over to move it. It's 6.5 HP and it throws about 15 feet but wet snow like this I break out the WD-40 to grease the shoot or it gets clogged up and when it blows back condensation can get in the air intake and it can stall. Still better than shoveling. I did get 17000 steps in today though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Sem

• Mod Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 225
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2017, 09:55:44 PM »
I feel for you JBG. I used to  live in Endicott, my Mom and brother still do. I was talking to my brother a few minutes ago and he said he measured 32 inches at his house at around 7pm.

drakew

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 82
  • ready to rock n roll...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2017, 04:45:02 AM »
My granddaughter's name is Stella, and she is about 30" tall!

Dan my brother is in Marathon, and he has 30"

BTW, the name Stella is part of a marketing technique the Weather Channel has been using:
naming  winter storms like hurricanes
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 04:52:12 AM by drakew »
"The future ain't what it used to be-" Yogi Berra

Jolly Blue Giant

• All-Pro
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2017, 09:40:15 AM »
I spent two hours shoveling and snow blowing this morning and I still have a ways to go, but I needed a break. It's still coming down, but not heavy. We are now getting lake effect snow and the forecast is saying another 8 - 10 inches today. I measured it this morning and we got about 34 inches with some drifts much deeper. So people in my neighborhood are saying they got 40 or more.

I took a couple of pictures as I got started. The path I cut with the snow blower is on a concrete pad (a basketball court in the summer) that was cleared last night around 7:00 so it shows how much we got overnight. The two cars are not on the concrete pad and sit about a foot lower than the pad.

weeze

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 156
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2017, 09:42:24 AM »
Man, I might turn the pool heater on.  :doh:
PORSCHE =there is NO substitute!

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 920
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2017, 10:55:38 AM »
Man, I might turn the pool heater on.  :doh:

:boooo:   :hit:

:laugh:
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

jimv

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 424
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2017, 10:58:38 AM »
Don't overdo the work, Jolly. Take it easy.  I had a total of 17.9" and it's already a memory.

Jolly Blue Giant

• All-Pro
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2017, 11:04:57 AM »
Don't overdo the work, Jolly. Take it easy.  I had a total of 17.9" and it's already a memory.

Thanks for your concern. It's not hard work running the snow blower and in fact, is quite enjoyable when dressed properly and I look like a Ninja with goggles so I stay comfortable even when it's windy and cold out. I take shoveling a lot more seriously concerning my heart. I want to die in bed with a knock out babe some day from over exertion, not in my driveway with a shovel frozen to my dead hand.

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2017, 11:26:13 AM »
I will say this, this storm left a mess.   I didn't hit blacktop until I was on the freeway.

I suspect that was due to the excessive weight, the ridiculous deep freeze last night that minimized the effectiveness of the rocksalt (not supposed to happen in the middle of March) and the long duration of the storm (eventually plow operators need to rest/sleep).
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 489
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2017, 12:01:02 PM »
The uncleared Fire Hydrants are covered in a block of ice.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

• All-Pro
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2017, 12:09:03 PM »
The uncleared Fire Hydrants are covered in a block of ice.

That could become a huge problem if a fire breaks out.

There was a huge fire in the Binghamton area yesterday morning when the storm was at full strength. The Skylark Motel on Vestal Parkway burned and in fact, killed the owner of the establishment. I don't think getting to the hydrants became a problem, but fires in the middle of a blizzard presents its own set of problems. Frozen hydrants just complicate matters even more.

http://www.pressconnects.com/story/news/public-safety/2017/03/15/fatal-fire-victims-id-confirmed-motel-blaze/99205686/

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2017, 12:24:42 PM »
3 things about hydrants

I always make it a point to clear the hydrant near my house (the lazy a-holes that have it in front of their house can't be bothered to do it)

I can tell you from 30 years in emergency services that for some reason many of the big fires I have had to stand by at were on the coldest of days (or nights)

A hydrant that leaks is a hydrant that freezes.  The shut-offs are supposed to be below the frost line.   If they leak though water collects above the frost line and freezes the hydrant.   If you notice a hydrant that is leaking (even a little bit) you should report it.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 12:26:42 PM by MightyGiants »

Sem

• Mod Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 225
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2017, 02:42:57 PM »
That could become a huge problem if a fire breaks out.

There was a huge fire in the Binghamton area yesterday morning when the storm was at full strength. The Skylark Motel on Vestal Parkway burned and in fact, killed the owner of the establishment. I don't think getting to the hydrants became a problem, but fires in the middle of a blizzard presents its own set of problems. Frozen hydrants just complicate matters even more.

http://www.pressconnects.com/story/news/public-safety/2017/03/15/fatal-fire-victims-id-confirmed-motel-blaze/99205686/

They have a small restaurant attached to the front, I've eaten there many times.