News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is a 1st Round TE off the table?

Started by MP21WAYS2PAY, March 15, 2017, 08:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hadron

I think the Giants go D-Lineman in the first round. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see them grab two d-linemen in the first three rounds.

MightyGiants

Quote from: Hadron on March 15, 2017, 09:49:31 PM
I think the Giants go D-Lineman in the first round. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see them grab two d-linemen in the first three rounds.

I am not seeing Hankins replacement falling to the Giants at 23.  In fact I have yet to see a DT that is at all exciting. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

They better address O Linemen and not D Linemen in the first three rounds if they want to be a better team in 2017.  I don't care if it's via FA, the draft or trades, but that is the hole and it is pretty damn clear. 

MP21WAYS2PAY

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 16, 2017, 07:09:42 AM
I am not seeing Hankins replacement falling to the Giants at 23.  In fact I have yet to see a DT that is at all exciting.

Montravious Adams is interesting in Round 2.

Hadron

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 16, 2017, 07:09:42 AM

D lineman could be a DE as well in preparation of JPP being gone if a long term contract is unobtainable. I'm not saying I agree with the idea.

Keep in mind that this is the same organization that drafted Wilson/Randle when they had no olinemen left after the sb46 run.

MightyGiants

Quote from: MP21WAYS2PAY on March 16, 2017, 11:04:41 AM
Montravious Adams is interesting in Round 2.

I see him more of a round 3 or 4 type pick
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

jerseyguy

Quote from: Philosophers on March 16, 2017, 09:58:23 AM
They better address O Linemen and not D Linemen in the first three rounds if they want to be a better team in 2017.  I don't care if it's via FA, the draft or trades, but that is the hole and it is pretty damn clear.
I don't know how anyone could see it any other way.....

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: jerseyguy on March 16, 2017, 04:14:40 PM
I don't know how anyone could see it any other way.....

One way it could be seen is if the Giants tire of the cat and mouse game and cut loose Hankins and JPP. Then the defensive line becomes vitally important to restock with players who can play soon. Even if we end up signing both, I wouldn't be a bit surprised we'd pick up a d-lineman at some point in the first 3 rounds.

I'm sure the Giants will address the O-line in the first three rounds, but I wouldn't get my hopes up that the player drafted will be playing a whole lot in the first year or two. At best, they get some playing time throughout the season to get a taste of the NFL. I don't think there are game changing linemen in this draft that will beat out Jerry or even Fluker. We definitely need to be grooming some players for depth and the future, but I don't think we are going to be able to upgrade the line to the top of the heap with this draft. Conklin and Tunsil were game changers and what I wouldn't do to find another Conklin in this year's draft. But the draft is a crap shoot and even more so with offensive linemen. Maybe we'll strike gold this year and hit big on a lineman who can automatically give the line a big bump in protecting Eli as well as blowing open holes for our ground game.
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

jerseyguy

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on March 16, 2017, 05:09:13 PM
One way it could be seen is if the Giants tire of the cat and mouse game and cut loose Hankins and JPP. Then the defensive line becomes vitally important to restock with players who can play soon. Even if we end up signing both, I wouldn't be a bit surprised we'd pick up a d-lineman at some point in the first 3 rounds.

I'm sure the Giants will address the O-line in the first three rounds, but I wouldn't get my hopes up that the player drafted will be playing a whole lot in the first year or two. At best, they get some playing time throughout the season to get a taste of the NFL. I don't think there are game changing linemen in this draft that will beat out Jerry or even Fluker. We definitely need to be grooming some players for depth and the future, but I don't think we are going to be able to upgrade the line to the top of the heap with this draft. Conklin and Tunsil were game changers and what I wouldn't do to find another Conklin in this year's draft. But the draft is a crap shoot and even more so with offensive linemen. Maybe we'll strike gold this year and hit big on a lineman who can automatically give the line a big bump in protecting Eli as well as blowing open holes for our ground game.

maybe all we need to do is to draft the people who draft for the Patriots  :)

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: jerseyguy on March 16, 2017, 05:16:59 PM

From all I can tell (for what it's worth), it's all about Belichick and his football mind developing strategies to beat other teams. He studies all the competition and designs plans that will give him the tools to exploit the "enemy". So instead of looking for chess pieces that are rated high according to analysts and fans, he looks for a specific kind of player for the coming season's grand plan. And every year it's different. He simply understands how to exploit other teams and build a team with specific kinds of players who fit his secret strategy buried deep in the back of his head. He's super competitive and it's like he's playing 3D chess while the rest of us are studying a 2D chess board wondering how to put the highest rated player in each spot. Or maybe a better analogy is we play checkers while he's playing chess.

Bottom line: I don't think it's possible to figure out BB's drafting strategy or any part of his strategy to win that next Super Bowl. It gave me great pleasure to see him refuse to show the class to shake hands with TC and sulk off the field in his hoodie the first time a Coughlin led team beat his ass  :P

Painter

The addition of a big 6'4/ 230lb, topnotch "go across the middle", and red zone/ end zone receiver in Brandon Marshall and a very solid blocker and outlet receiving FB/HBack in Rhett Ellison strikes me as a predetermined plan which  diminishes the likelihood that the Giants will draft a TE in Round 1.

If he is there at 23, I don't see them passing on Ramczyk to play OLT. He won't be. He reminds me of Nate Solder, who was on the Giants radar back in 2011. But the Pats jumped up two slots ahead and grabbed him. He's been a fixture for them ever since. The Giants took the Prince at 19 and, of course, he's no longer with them. Indeed, none of the Giants picks in 2011 are still with the team. And yet, against all odds and with David Diehl at OLT, the Giants swept through the playoffs and beat The Pats and Solder for their second Lombardi in 4 years. There are a lot of reasons why I avoid predictions, and that's one of them.

If not a TE, and I think not, and if not  Ramczyk (or Bolles?), I wouldn't be surprised if they took a RB, Cook or Fournette if either was available. Probably won't be.  Otherwise, it would seem likely that they will go for the other side. They might shock us by drafting a MLB. Wowee! A LB in Round 1? If so, it would be Zach Cunningham, no doubt.

Still, it's hard to talk about surprises when no one gets this stuff right at anytime. When it comes to matching players to teams, no one in the world gets it more than 25% right. And as most of the correct guesses occur in the first 10 picks;  we aren't likely to do any better than we did last year with Eli Apple or with Flowers, the year before, or with OBJ in '14 or Pugh in'13. 

Whomever it is, and however it turns out overall, please let us not have a repeat of the 2011 Draft; that is unless it means we get  to beat the Pats in the Super Bowl again.

Cheers!

Jolly Blue Giant

I have to brag about last year's prognostication. I picked Apple as the Giants' pick a couple of weeks before the draft. I was skewered on another board and ridiculed beyond belief. I believe I am the only person on any board that thought the Giants were going to take Apple.

What I can't brag about, is that is about the ONLY pick in round one that I got right. I wanted Jack Conklin, but surmised he would be off the board and I was right, so there's that.

This year I don't have a gut feel for where the Giants will go with their first pick. I will throw my guess out there in the weeks leading up to the draft.

todge

Quote from: jerseyguy on March 16, 2017, 05:16:59 PM

If you log onto Draft history.com - you will see that the Pats have been no better and perhaps arguably worse than the Giants when it comes to the Draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jolly Blue Giant

As an addendum to my previous post (boast)...one guess that I can throw out there is that I believe when the dust settles on day 2 of the draft, Jake Butt will be a Giant. Just a gut feeling. If right, we won't be taking a TE in the first round.

Jaime

G.B.G., congrats on Apple. I had him on my radar, but I just didn't pull the trigger.
As for Butt, his knee gives me reason to pause. :suspious:
How bout some Tex-Mex? I'll have a Taco thank you.