News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Is a 1st Round TE off the table?

Started by MP21WAYS2PAY, March 15, 2017, 08:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MP21WAYS2PAY

Quote from: Jaime on March 16, 2017, 10:33:29 PM
G.B.G., congrats on Apple. I had him on my radar, but I just didn't pull the trigger.
As for Butt, his knee gives me reason to pause. :suspious:
How bout some Tex-Mex? I'll have a Taco thank you.

I think Jake Butt has torn ACLs in both knees.  Yikes!  Might need a fact check there.  Its definitely looking like defense is more likely, Im thinking Jordan Willis or Hasaan Reddick, or after the visit, Cunningham.  Taco seems to lack athleticism for a 4-3 DE.

TONKA56

No mention of Adam Shaheen in round 2 or 3?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ed Vette

Quote from: Painter on March 16, 2017, 09:45:02 PM
The addition of a big 6'4/ 230lb, topnotch "go across the middle", and red zone/ end zone receiver in Brandon Marshall and a very solid blocker and outlet receiving FB/HBack in Rhett Ellison strikes me as a predetermined plan which diminishes the likelihood that the Giants will draft a TE in Round 1.
Cheers!

That's how I see it too.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: MP21WAYS2PAY on March 17, 2017, 06:06:42 AM
I think Jake Butt has torn ACLs in both knees.  Yikes!  Might need a fact check there.  Its definitely looking like defense is more likely, Im thinking Jordan Willis or Hasaan Reddick, or after the visit, Cunningham.  Taco seems to lack athleticism for a 4-3 DE.

Depending on who your read, his knees are or are not and issue. The Giants brought him in (as well as Bucky Hodges). I just have this gut feeling that the Giants will take him in the 3rd round. Doesn't mean anything, just this premonition that sticks in the back of my head and won't go away.

I always knew I'd get old. How fast
it happened is a surprise, though  :crazy:

MightyGiants

This is just me, but I would never draft a player with two torn ACLs.  You have to think his body is prone to that type of injury, plus you have to think that 2 such injuries has at least robbed him of some of the  athletasism that made him special.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Philosophers

Keep in mind with Butt that he won the Mackey Award as the nation's best TE after one of those ACL injuries plus he was twice the Big 10 TE of the year.  His first ACL was in 2014.  His second was in the most recent bowl game which he chose to play in rather than sit out like Fournette did. 

I don't believe he is more susceptible to an ACL injury than another player.  You get hit a certain way and any player will tear it.  That said, I do agree with you that all things being equal, I prefer players who have not sustained major injuries.  Keep in mind that the rehab time for ACL injuries continues to get reduced as technology improves.

todge

I am not so sure the Giants were ever in the mix for a first Round TE.  Unless of course, Howard somehow miraculously fell to them.  The Giants know full well that his Draft is loaded with TEs - so they could go into the 3rd Round and find an instant starter.   I don't think the signing of Marshall or Ellison has anything to do with them drafting a TE.  Tight End is a different position than Wide Receiver.  Ellison was signed to be a blocker.

Painter

It used to be a different position but it is becoming much less so.  A bigger receiver, sure, slot, split, flexed, but hardly tight anymore. Eli needed a big red zone/ end zone pass catcher whether from a WR or TE.  They got it for him when the signed Marshall as fast as they could.

Cheers!

MP21WAYS2PAY

Looks like DE is off the table....whats left?

Ed Vette

Quote from: MP21WAYS2PAY on March 17, 2017, 03:31:31 PM
Looks like DE is off the table....whats left?

Best Player Available. There are no guarantees in life and in football. I can see them picking a OT, DB, WR...but DT would make the most sense if the player was a starting caliber 3T.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

ViewFromSection129

Quote from: Vette on March 17, 2017, 03:39:29 PM
Best Player Available. There are no guarantees in life and in football. I can see them picking a OT, DB, WR...but DT would make the most sense if the player was a starting caliber 3T.

Agreed.  Because there are no major holes in the roster now except for DT, I can see them going anywhere in Round 1.  That is why filling major holes in free agency is so important... it allows us to draft for value and not need.

coggs

I don't think it is off the table.  They still need a TE who will be a real threat in the passing game.

jerseyguy

I know the talent is not what we would like to see in round 1 but we cannot forget the need on the O line at OT, if we don't fix the poor blocking we are set to play at the same level as last season, disastrous..

Hadron

Reaching for need is not the best approach.

AZGiantFan

Quote from: jerseyguy on March 17, 2017, 04:26:18 PM
I know the talent is not what we would like to see in round 1 but we cannot forget the need on the O line at OT, if we don't fix the poor blocking we are set to play at the same level as last season, disastrous..

I think I am with you if either of the top 2 OTs is there at 23.  If not, BPA without excluding any positions.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll