News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

McShay's mock 3.0

Started by MightyGiants, March 15, 2017, 10:51:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

He has the Giants going:

23. New York Giants

Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin

With Eli Manning turning 36, don't be surprised if the Giants draft a QB at some point in this draft. But that's more likely to come in the middle rounds. Ramczyk is dealing with a hip injury, so the medical recheck in April will factor into where he's selected. But if everything comes up good, Ramczyk has the length and mirroring ability to finally answer the Giants' problems at left tackle.

http://insider.espn.com/nfl/draft2017/insider/story/_/id/18907045/todd-mcshay-2017-nfl-mock-draft-30
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Cid in Dupont

If this came true, I would be doing cartwheels in my living room.  I really hope, but seriously doubt he will be there @ 23.

Cid
Even a fool when he holds his peace is considered wise; when he closes his lips he is esteemed a man of understanding.

WheresDayne

I've heard mixed reviews on Ramczyk.  Is he just the best of a poor class or would he fare just as well in an OL stacked draft.

Either way, I'd be fine with this selection, just not doing cartwheels.

UncannyGfan

If he's there, the Giants have to take him.  If not, I'm leaning towards TE, Engram included.  The 1st round TE talent could completely change how other teams will defend the Giants offense.  A good pass blocking running back later in the draft or FA is a must.  Teams will then blitz at their own risk. 

While the offensive line was the weakest team link, Manning still managed to get ride of the ball super fast, limiting his hits and sacks.  Replacing Tye and Cruz with Howard/Njoku/Engram and Marshall will go a long way.  Maybe Fluker offers an improvement over Hart.  A rookie Guard in the 2nd or 3rd will also add competition.  Flowers, Richburg, and Pugh are young and hopefully improve next season.

Unless Ramczyk falls to #23, I don't think a new addition will solve their OT issues this season.   

Dumpster Dan

Quote from: WheresDayne on March 15, 2017, 01:05:37 PM
I've heard mixed reviews on Ramczyk.  Is he just the best of a poor class or would he fare just as well in an OL stacked draft.

I feel the same way--He has a pretty sketchy resume--He has played 1 year of college ball at a high level..Did he play in the Senior Bowl? Anyone??

DD

MightyGiants

Quote from: Dumpster Dan on March 15, 2017, 04:19:00 PM
I feel the same way--He has a pretty sketchy resume--He has played 1 year of college ball at a high level..Did he play in the Senior Bowl? Anyone??

DD

No, his hip surgery precluded that.    I watched some film on him and I was impressed at how sound his technique is.  His technique was better than most of the college offensive linemen I look at, so I am not too worried about his body of work.

My only two issues with him are my questions about his passion for football and the medical on his hip.   With his technique I see him starting sooner rather than later.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

todge

Every potential Draftee has mixed reviews Dayne.  Furthermore, Chiefs, Jaguars and Eagles fans were doing cartwheels during the 2013 Draft. OLTs Fisher, Joekel went 1st and 2nd overall, Johnson was selected 4th overall and Warmack and Fluker were taken 10th and 11th overall.  Draft pundits were stating that this Draft was the best for OL they have ever seen in the history of the Draft.  Well ... how did that turn out?  None of these guys have lived up to expectations.  I suppose Fisher has done alright, but he is nothing to write home about.

So I wouldn't put too much stock in this  "poor OL Draft class" stuff especially when the 2013 class was touted as the greatest ever with all of those guys dubbed "can't miss prospects". Ramczyk may very well turn out to be a stud ... or perhaps a dud. 

WheresDayne

I agree Todge, which is why I can't get too excited about this pick...not yet anyway.  I know that any player can be boom or bust but is it me or is this most evident with OLinemen?

Bob In PA

Ramczyk is a decent player.

Could go either way in the pros.

IMO.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

kingm56

Quote from: Bob In PA on March 18, 2017, 12:15:33 AM
Ramczyk is a decent player.

Could go either way in the pros.

IMO.

Bob

True for every player available via the draft; even the so called 'can't miss' players have bombed...

Jaime

Take either Ramczyk or Bolles @ # 23 overall & we have upgraded both Tackle positions.
Totally believe Right now as I'm writing this,  both Ramczyk and Bolles are better Left Tackles than Flowers. :goteam:

UncannyGfan

Quote from: Jaime on March 18, 2017, 12:24:45 AM
Take either Ramczyk or Bolles @ # 23 overall & we have upgraded both Tackle positions.
Totally believe Right now as I'm writing this,  both Ramczyk and Bolles are better Left Tackles than Flowers. :goteam:

What are your thoughts of Pugh as a left tackle?

DanUK

I think he's a late second rounder in an stacked OL class. I suspect given the premium people put on tackles he'll be gone by 23.

With the signing of JPP, we need to go DT in the first round IMO.

londonblue

My cousin Danny is an ESPN analytics geek and he keeps saying Garcia or Lamp are the ones he'd take. When he first said this to me Garcia was R4 and Lamp R2 now they are projected to R2 and R1 respectively reflecting the NFL scout buzz. He likes Magnuson as a mid round T and Asiata and Siracusa as mid round guards. Of all the TEs he likes Engram best and Leggett in the mid rounds. Interesting to see how they stack up in Ceri's analysis when he does his review.
If you live your life as a pessimist you never really live your life at all.

Jaime

Uncanny, I see Pugh as an upgrade over Flowers. But not significant enough to force our hand. Pugh to me is a better G than T currently. That said, I don't see it being difficult to replace Pugh at Guard if we acted quickly before the Draft.  :ok: