News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

A great article on the different attributes needed to play guard versus tackle

Started by MightyGiants, March 15, 2017, 11:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

With all the talk of offensive linemen, I thought this article would be of interest.

http://grantland.com/features/guard-tackle-interior-offensive-linemen-nfl/

Note:  I first posted the link on the Justin Pugh thread
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

I read the article in the other thread, but I think the subject matter (Tackle vs. Guard) should have it's own thread.

Anyway, there's been comments on other threads about tackles washing out, and finding playing guard working out for them. On the other hand, our own Fluker graded out much better as a tackle than after he moved to guard.

I think (for what it's worth) that a LT has to be more athletic...or at least more nimble on his feet and as someone pointed out earlier, be a dancer. And the physical makeup of a player does tend to send a player to a pre-chosen position such as "short arms" (the "T-Rex Syndrome") or shorter height is automatically slated for guard. I also think finding hidden gems in a draft for a guard can be found in the list of centers. Hence, I am high on Pat Elflein out of Ohio State for a 2nd day pick. Unless some team is looking specifically for a center, he should be available after round one. I believe a center already has a feel for the guard position as center plays like a guard once the ball is hiked. I tend to think Elflein might be better than Lamp, yet Lamp will be drafted at least a round earlier that Elflein.
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

MightyGiants

I think this part explains the Giants reluctance to move Flowers and why Flowers would be a bad fit at Guard

QuoteThe goal is habit creation and muscle memory. These days, Birk talks like a man who recently retired from football. He tosses around plenty of golf references, and learning to play inside, he says, is like a golf swing. There are dozens of tiny movements, each of which is capable of throwing off the complete motion when improperly executed. But at the highest level, they come together without having to consider a single one individually.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Ed Vette

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 15, 2017, 05:25:50 PM
I forget where I heard it (but I am pretty sure it was a former NFL GM or scout) but I heard something that sounded the struck me as a good point when it comes to the measurables issues for prospects.  I will paraphrase,  when it comes to measurables of prospects there are going to be some that will beat the odds and play even without the desired measurables.  However, with the draft already a gamble why decrease your odds?

That's why it takes film study however some of these players don't play in an NFL ready system or Offense. Here's what I do know...After two years at LT, should a player know how to get the feet and hands correctly? Same with a Guard. John Jerry is never gonna be a good Run Blocking Guard because his reflexes are too slow. It appears that Flowers is going to get a third year to prove he has the head and the motivation to get the mechanics of the position down.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

AZGiantFan

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 15, 2017, 12:17:49 PM
I think this part explains the Giants reluctance to move Flowers and why Flowers would be a bad fit at Guard

That quote would support a point you have made in the past, to wit, the reduction in practice time under the CBA has played a role in overall oline play declining across the league.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll