Author Topic: The latest numbers being reported for the JPP signing- signed officially  (Read 376 times)

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 920
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
Art Stapleton  @art_stapleton
39s
Jason Pierre-Paul has officially signed his contract with #Giants

Ian Rapoport  @RapSheet
1m
On his 4-yr, $62M deal worth up to $66M, #Giants star JPP has a $20M signing bonus. He earns $34M within 11 mos & $49.5M over the 1st 3 yrs

Mike Garafolo  @MikeGarafolo
1m
North of $15m per year. The Giants really came up to make this happen and knew what it would take after $17m tag.

Tom Rock  @TomRock_Newsday
30s
$116 million in guaranteed money to JPP, OV, Snacks.

Ralph Vacchiano  @RVacchianoSNY
1m
That deal, by the way, averages $15.5M (base) and up to $16.5M ... So, as John Mara promised, less than his franchise tag ($16.9M).

ProFootballTalk  @ProFootballTalk
13s
Agent confirms Jason Pierre-Paul has signed with the Giants wp.me/p14QSB-agLZ
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 02:54:18 PM by MightyGiants »
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Dumpster Dan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 179
    • View Profile
And even these numbers are not "official"--they are the beat reporters numbers

But it is sounding better and better as we go along  as the knowledgeable Ed tried to tell us to cool it

DD

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
From JPP's Instagram Account

5m
iamjasonpierrepaulFirst and foremost, I would like to thank God for all my blessings because I know without him nothing is possible, thank you Lord. I also want to thank all the people that are closest to me and that support me, even if I wasn't playing football. You know who you are. I don't have to say any names because you KNOW WHO YOU ARE! I would like to thank Mr. Mara and Mr. Tisch for their commitment and belief in me. I look forward to helping you guys get back to the SB soon. I would like to thank the rest of the NY Giants organization for trusting in me for another 4yrs and to be part of this great franchise. S/O to all my fans that's 💯 with yah boy. That's all I have to say and let's go get them "D"

"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

ViewFromSection129

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 23
    • View Profile
And even these numbers are not "official"--they are the beat reporters numbers

But it is sounding better and better as we go along  as the knowledgeable Ed tried to tell us to cool it

DD

How much are we cooling down though?  Contract is $15.5MM a year and maybe up to $16.5MM.  It still is very hefty.  Happy it is a little less than originally reported though.

The Chief

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 31
    • View Profile
Well, he looks happy.

I'm a tad pessimistic about this deal.  I hope it translates into 15 sacks and many hits this year.

jerseyguy

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 65
    • View Profile
how does this contract help the team with the cap for this year?

jimv

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 424
    • View Profile
Well, he looks happy.

I'm a tad pessimistic about this deal.  I hope it translates into 15 sacks and many hits this year.

I'm not pessimistic, Burt.  JPP is the "new Michael."  He is both a pass rusher & a run stuffer.

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 489
    • View Profile

I'm not pessimistic, Burt.  JPP is the "new Michael."  He is both a pass rusher & a run stuffer.

If they get a good 3 Technique DT to push the pocket, he'll get his sacks.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jaime

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 197
    • View Profile
Horrible contract. :Faint: Giants staff involved in this deal should be fired ASAP.we r  giving this amount of guaranteed money to an oft injured player with half a hand. Oh brother. :jawdrop:

beaugestus

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 56
    • View Profile
Jaime, I guess we just have to believe that the team has a better idea than we do about JPP going forward. Hope he stays healthy.

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
To expound on Jamie's comments.  We talked yesterday about the contract.  While the numbers are not in, the early indications is that this contract was back loaded and the Giants gave up the ability to bail early on the contract or a lower pay rate than Vernon.  In other words the Giants are banking on JPP staying hungry and healthy for the next 4 years.

Hadron

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 43
    • View Profile
If they get a good 3 Technique DT to push the pocket, he'll get his sacks.

Fix this and JPP AND Vernon will hit double digit sacks.

Jaime

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
beaugestus, we forfeited all of our Leverage. I just am aghast at how trusting this contract forces us to be. A couple years from now what's our leverage to motivate jpp to train hard and play hard?
This is an oft injured player with half a hand. We're not getting the very best, but we're sure paying like it. In his Last truncated season, five of his sacks were vs. The two worst Teams in the NFL. I just don't get it. ~X(

Hadron

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 43
    • View Profile
beaugestus, we forfeited all of our Leverage. I just am aghast at how trusting this contract forces us to be. A couple years from now what's our leverage to motivate jpp to train hard and play hard?
This is an oft injured player with half a hand. We're not getting the very best, but we're sure paying like it. In his Last truncated season, five of his sacks were vs. The two worst Teams in the NFL. I just don't get it. ~X(

Sacks aren't the only statistic that matters. If you look at the hurries:

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/defensive-hurries/2016/

Rank   Player   Team   Pos   Games Played   Hurries
1   Brandon GrahamPHI   DE   16   40
2   Olivier Vernon   NYG   DE   16   37
3   Geno Atkins   CIN   DT   16   36
4   Aaron Donald   LA   DT   16   31
5   Vic Beasley Jr.   ATL   LB   16   30
6   Von Miller           DEN   LB   16   29
7   Melvin Ingram   SD   LB   16   29
8   Carlos Dunlap   CIN   DE   16   29
9   Jerry Hughes   BUF   LB   16   29
10   Y-Ngakoue           JAX   DE   16   28
11   Chris Long           NE   DE   16   27
12   Everson Griffen   MIN   DE   16   26
13   Khalil Mack   OAK   DE   16   25
14   Cameron Wake   MIA   DE   16   24
15   JPP                NYG   DE   12   24

Basically, look at the link since I don't feel like fiddling with the table. Long story short, JPP put up 24 pressures in 12 games which took other players well into 16 games to accomplish. If he played the full 16 games (which is valid criticism), he would've likely broken the top 10. If the Giants had some form of a pass rush up the middle? All of his pass rushing stats would see a boost. Ditto for Vernon.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 03:33:04 PM by Hadron »

Jaime

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Hadron, appreciate the post there bro.  Hurries do matter, they generate incompletions and Picks.
I'm at a loss for words. I mean, I  thought they might sign him, but to this kind of a contract?
 I never saw this coming. :o