Author Topic: Pre-Draft 3/19/17, the Elephant in the room  (Read 458 times)

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 489
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-Draft 3/19/17, the Elephant in the room
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 03:41:30 PM »
Isn't it logic that he can't and won't?  They tried him at right tackle and after a less than mediocre stint there, they moved him to guard. So, in the eyes of the organization, if they deemed him not a right tackle, then why would they move him to left tackle which is an even more demanding position?

Show me one bit of evidence or verbiage that the Giants are considering moving Pugh to left tackle.  It is apparent that the team is going to leave him at left guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apparently Jordan Raanan didn't get the memo. http://www.bigblueunbiased.com/new-york-giants-justin-pugh-contingency-plan-left-tackle-report/

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

todge

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 206
    • View Profile
Pre-Draft 3/19/17, the Elephant in the room
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 04:07:54 PM »
"Contingency plan" does not mean they are moving him to left tackle. That potential backup role is in place for now, but will change if/when the Giants draft a left tackle.

Be careful ... you may get what you wish for.  No one believes me - but you will long to have Flowers back if this team moves Pugh to left tackle.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 04:17:17 PM by todge »

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 05:42:59 PM »
"Contingency plan" does not mean they are moving him to left tackle. That potential backup role is in place for now, but will change if/when the Giants draft a left tackle.

Be careful ... you may get what you wish for.  No one believes me - but you will long to have Flowers back if this team moves Pugh to left tackle.

It means a statement like the Giants know he can't play tackle is an opinion and not a fact.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Pre-Draft 3/19/17, the Elephant in the room
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 05:47:39 PM »
It means a statement like the Giants know he can't play tackle is an opinion and not a fact.

And yes, I'm just messing with you. I'm sure the Giants want to leave him at Guard. I wonder though if they don't find competition at both sides if they wait till the regular season to make a switch or bite the bullet again.

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

todge

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2017, 06:21:59 PM »
And yes, I'm just messing with you. I'm sure the Giants want to leave him at Guard. I wonder though if they don't find competition at both sides if they wait till the regular season to make a switch or bite the bullet again.

I know that Ed. It's a lively debate.

COGiantFan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 383
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2017, 10:41:22 PM »
Just curious, what do you think they should do if the best player available is a QB?

If it's Watson, and he is BPA on the Giants board, with no equal value at a more needful position I'd take him.  I see some Eli in Watson.  I'd love to know Ernie Acorsi's take on Watson.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist

todge

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 12:13:25 PM »
If it's Watson, and he is BPA on the Giants board, with no equal value at a more needful position I'd take him.  I see some Eli in Watson.  I'd love to know Ernie Acorsi's take on Watson.

Watson threw 17 interceptions this year.  He has also displayed alarming inaccuracy on short to intermediate throws in the post-season supermarket.  Throw in the fact he is rail thin and subject to injury, I would have a hard time believing the Giants will take another backup QB for their Roster at the expense of getting an immediate starter at a position of need.