Author Topic: Giants interest in Mangold?  (Read 394 times)

andrew_nyGiants

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 109
    • View Profile
Giants interest in Mangold?
« on: March 19, 2017, 03:04:10 PM »
While I LOVE him as a player and would really love to have him on the roster I don't understand how he fits.

Is their interest in him at G or C?

Would he replace Richburg at Center or Jerry at G?

If he replaces Richburg could Richburg replace Jerry?

How does any of this address the issues at Tackle?

Love quality players, just confused as to how they make it work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanUK

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
Re: Giants interest in Mangold?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 03:14:42 PM »
Nope. Because 1) we have Richburg at C, and Jerry/Fluker at RG/RT and 2) we have a chunk of money taken up by JPP's new contract...

Jolly Blue Giant

• All-Pro
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 69
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 03:22:23 PM »
He says he would play guard and/or backup center if needed.

andrew_nyGiants

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 03:38:07 PM »
Nope. Because 1) we have Richburg at C, and Jerry/Fluker at RG/RT and 2) we have a chunk of money taken up by JPP's new contract...

So you're saying they have no interest? That would make sense. I've been reading that they are showing interest which is why I posted the thread.

afan56

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 05:02:30 PM »
If they keep signing Gang Green players to Big Blue...will this become the Big Teal Huddle?
 :what:

DanUK

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 51
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 05:06:41 PM »
So you're saying they have no interest? That would make sense. I've been reading that they are showing interest which is why I posted the thread.

I don't blame you at all for posting the thread ;) it's worthy of discussion - but there's also a lot of smoke and mirrors in everything that's mentioned in public at times like this.

I just feel that we've had a tendency of getting our free agency work done early and given JPP's contract I don't think we're in a position to get him.

joeyfootball

• Mod Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 96
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 05:17:55 PM »
reason why these jets wish to be giants for the jets' organization isn't as solid as the giants are, and they wish to win a super bowl title.

these guys see the giants want to win, so whyn't go there, it is the same stadium.

Jolly Blue Giant

• All-Pro
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 05:48:00 PM »
reason why these jets wish to be giants for the jets' organization isn't as solid as the giants are, and they wish to win a super bowl title.

these guys see the giants want to win, so whyn't go there, it is the same stadium.

That's a good point that effect our first three free agents....they wanted to play on a team where winning is expected from day one. Winning is a culture on a team. With the Giants, winning is expected - period, end of story. The Jets have a defeated culture before the season even starts and they can't get a QB to save their ass. They have some very good, high quality players that are just sick and tired of losing on a team where losing is a foregone conclusion. It effected Fluker who said that same thing about the Chargers and that he wanted to be with a winner and apparently, Rhett Ellison's father Riki wrote an article about the bad vibes, confusion, and troubles with the Vikings causing Rhett to want to jump ship where he could get a legitimate shot at playing to his ability on a team that not only expects to win, but demands to win.

Philosophers

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 11:18:18 PM »
Why would he leave to be a backup and get a backups pay when he could have done presumably with the Jets?

Jolly Blue Giant

• All-Pro
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 08:29:49 AM »
Why would he leave to be a backup and get a backups pay when he could have done presumably with the Jets?

Because he's 33, and nearing the end of his career and he wants to retire having played on a team that demands winning. He stays at the same stadium, his same home, etc. The only change is moving to a culture of winning. Makes sense to me.

andrew_nyGiants

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 08:41:19 AM »

Why would anyone assume that he would be a back-up? If the Giants signed him he would immediately become the best offensive lineman on the roster (IMHO). So at that point, it's a question of shuffling the line-up.

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 920
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 08:47:27 AM »
To answer the original question I have heard no reports saying the Giants are interested or might be interested.   What I have heard was speculation (at least by Ralph V) that the Giants could or should have interest.    From there, the fans took it and ran with it.

I see little to no reason why the Giants would want to sign Mangold.   While he would be a nice leader, he is an aging center who brings little to the table as a center and even less as a guard. 
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 489
    • View Profile
Giants interest in Mangold?
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 08:49:34 AM »
Andrew, the Giants are stocked at Center and Guard. I think Richburg is permanently implanted at Center and it's his best position. Has Mangold played Guard and does anyone know for certain at his age how much of an improvement he would be over Jerry or Jones. I think Fluker is the RT. So, it would mean moving Pugh and if Pugh is moved I don't see Flowers on the bench.

I think you have to go through all your progressions to see what scenario would fit here.

If Jerry wasn't resigned, perhaps. Just my take.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

andrew_nyGiants

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 08:57:52 AM »
Vette-

You and Mighty have solid points (although I did read a report that said his ex teammate Colon is hearing rumblings that he's headed to the Giants): http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/19/2017-nfl-free-agency-is-nick-mangold-on-his-way-to-giants-too/

G and C appear to be somewhat covered (though I'm not sold on the starting talent at G) so the idea that there isn't real interest would make sense.

However, IF they are considering him, I find it very interesting as it relates to how they would shuffle the line.

Jolly Blue Giant

• All-Pro
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 09:11:18 AM »
To have a good offensive line, it is super advantageous to be able to keep fresh bodies across the whole line. Not to mention, there are injuries and if you have no depth, it shows up very quickly. Just imagine what happens when Pugh gets clipped in the knee and is out for a couple of weeks, or Richburg gets a shoulder injury. Even so, being able to insert a quality lineman for a couple of plays to allow a breather for one of the starters is a good thing to have. I agree that the emphasis should be on putting 5 quality starters across the line, but you still have to account for injuries, sickness, and occasional rotation. Therein lies the value of Mangold...IMHO