Author Topic: Giants interest in Mangold?  (Read 393 times)

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 489
    • View Profile
Giants interest in Mangold?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 09:12:08 AM »
Vette-

You and Mighty have solid points (although I did read a report that said his ex teammate Colon is hearing rumblings that he's headed to the Giants): http://jetswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/19/2017-nfl-free-agency-is-nick-mangold-on-his-way-to-giants-too/

G and C appear to be somewhat covered (though I'm not sold on the starting talent at G) so the idea that there isn't real interest would make sense.

However, IF they are considering him, I find it very interesting as it relates to how they would shuffle the line.

So, if he did come on board, what would be a couple of scenarios? I can see, Pugh, mangold, Richburg, Fluker, Flowers or Flowers-Fluker. I'm no draftnik by any stretch of the imagination but the OT class looks like there isn't a day one starter where the Giants pick from. Btw, your link is broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 920
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
Re: Giants interest in Mangold?
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 09:13:39 AM »
To have a good offensive line, it is super advantageous to be able to keep fresh bodies across the whole line. Not to mention, there are injuries and if you have no depth, it shows up very quickly. Just imagine what happens when Pugh gets clipped in the knee and is out for a couple of weeks, or Richburg gets a shoulder injury. Even so, being able to insert a quality lineman for a couple of plays to allow a breather for one of the starters is a good thing to have. I agree that the emphasis should be on putting 5 quality starters across the line, but you still have to account for injuries, sickness, and occasional rotation. Therein lies the value of Mangold...IMHO

That is why the team has Brett Jones on the roster.  As he continues to grow and develop.  The Giants have two free agents in Richburg and Pugh next offseason.  It's possible Jones could replace one of these two if the Giants can't re-sign both. 
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Philosophers

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 09:18:55 AM »
My presumption in him being a backup was because I thought someone had previously said he would be willing to be a backup.  I am not sure if at this point in his career, he'd be the best OL on the Giants. Certainly when he was in his prime.

I like Mangold a lot, however, not sure what he has left in tank.  If somehow he and Richburg can both play and be effective, then I am in, however, we continue to have the GIANT problem of our OT play (and less in the interior of the line).  DJ Fluker has not solved the outside problem of our OL.  We need to pay more attention there IMHO, however

Jolly Blue Giant

• All-Pro
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 69
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 09:26:55 AM »
I think Mangold would be a plus addition. Not so much as he would unseat a starter (although, he might just unseat Jerry or Fluker as a RG), but as a mentor. The offensive linemen tend to be a little private club amongst themselves. They become pals and share information back and forth about certain players they've faced, little nuances that help them take a player out of play, etc. The chemistry between them is an all-important factor and Mangold's experience and past success has a value all its own. Right now, our primary backups are Hart, Gettis, Jones, Beatty, and Halapio. Mangold would be an upgrade IMO.

jerseyguy

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 65
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 10:38:21 AM »
 we need one or 2 OTs and I'm not sure how Mangold fits in there, I like him but not sure where he fits...

andrew_nyGiants

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 109
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 10:52:54 AM »
we need one or 2 OTs and I'm not sure how Mangold fits in there, I like him but not sure where he fits...

This is exactly how I feel Jersey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cid in Dupont

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 80
  • Best SB ever!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 11:35:14 AM »
Because he's 33, and nearing the end of his career and he wants to retire having played on a team that demands winning. He stays at the same stadium, his same home, etc. The only change is moving to a culture of winning. Makes sense to me.

I agree.  If he wants a shot at a ring then moving his locker to a different room in the stadium is his best chance w/o upsetting his personal life too much (kid's school, wife's commitments, family, etc.)

Personally if he signs and improves our line in any way I'd be ecstatic!  IMHO, our line needs some serious help and some veteran depth too.

Cid
Even a fool when he holds his peace is considered wise; when he closes his lips he is esteemed a man of understanding.

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 920
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 11:50:46 AM »
Nick Mangold | Center | #74
Team:    Unsigned Free Agent
Age / DOB:     (33) / 1/13/1984
Ht / Wt:     6'4' / 307
College:    Ohio State
Drafted:    2006 / Rd. 1 (29) / NYJ

ESPN's Dan Graziano reports teams that have expressed interest in free agent C Nick Mangold have asked if he'd be willing to move to guard.
Mangold has never played guard, and so far he's rebuffed teams that have asked him. His play has fallen off the past two seasons, but at 33, Mangold should have another year or two left as an average-to-plus starter. Mar 6 - 11:39 AM
Source: ESPN.com

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3647/nick-mangold
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"