Author Topic: Free Agent Comings and Goings in the rest of the NFC East  (Read 470 times)

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 1079
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
Free Agent Comings and Goings in the rest of the NFC East
« on: March 19, 2017, 10:21:47 AM »
DALLAS COWBOYS

Coming: DT Stephen Paea (from Washington), CB Nolan Caroll (from Philadelphia), DE Damontre Moore (from Seattle)
Going: S Barry Church (to Jacksonville), G Ronald Leary (to Denver), DT Terrell McLain (to Washington), DT Jack Crawford (to Atlanta), CB Brandon Carr (to Baltimore), CB Morris Claiborne (to NY Jets), RB Lance Dunbar (to Los Angeles), DE Ryan Davis (to Buffalo), S J.J. Wilcox (to Tampa Bay)
Staying: RB Darren McFadden, WR Brice Butler, WR Terrance Williams, G Jonathan Cooper

WASHINGTON REDSKINS

Coming: DT Terrell McLain (from Dallas), DL Stacy McGee (from Oakland), Safety D.J. Swearinger (from Arizona), WR Terrelle Pryor (from Cleveland)
Going: WR DeSean Jackson (to Tampa Bay), WR Pierre Garcon (to San Francisco), DE Chris Baker (to Tampa Bay), DT Stephen Paea (to Dallas) DE Ricky Jean Francois (released)
Staying: TE Vernon Davis, DE Ziggy Hood, OL Vinston Painter, QB Kirk Cousins (exclusive franchise tag)

PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

Coming: WR Alshon Jeffrey (from Chicago), WR Torrey Smith (from San Francisco), G Chance Warmack (from Tennessee), QB Nick Foles (from Kansas City)
Going: DE Connor Barwin (released), QB Chase Daniel (released), CB Nolan Carroll (to Dallas)
Staying: LB Najee Goode, G/C Stefen Wisniewski

MORE

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/NFC-East-Roundup-Free-Agent-comings-and-goings/9c3aee38-82e2-4e6b-8897-47a06963f6b9
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 467
    • View Profile
Re: Free Agent Comings and Goings in the rest of the NFC East
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 10:29:26 AM »
The NFC East is also at the bottom of the league in available Cap Space with a couple of team now over the cap.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

WheresDayne

• All-Pro
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 47
    • View Profile
    • Phil Simms
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 10:35:27 AM »
Looks like Philly did well / Washington was a wash (pun  :P) / and Dallas got worse (but I expect they'll receive some comp picks next year)

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 1079
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 10:37:25 AM »
Looks like Philly did well / Washington was a wash (pun  :P) / and Dallas got worse (but I expect they'll receive some comp picks next year)

I suspect Dallas feels they have one of the great DCs who's defensive system is plug and play.  They feel they can get a solid defense with less than ideal talent.
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Shoelessjoe

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 05:16:22 PM »
Dallas lost 4 DB's (2 safeties and 2 CB's).  I don't know how you replace an entire defensive backfield without having a precipitous drop in performance.  I don't care who your DC is.

Uni

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 95
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 05:44:34 PM »
That already shaky defensive backfield in Dallas got dismantled in free agency. Is there any starter left?

kingm56

• Starter
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 11:37:51 PM »
Dallas lost 4 DB's (2 safeties and 2 CB's).  I don't know how you replace an entire defensive backfield without having a precipitous drop in performance.  I don't care who your DC is.

The problem is compounded by the lack a legit pass rush; I expect Dallas to take a step back this year....

EDjohnst1981

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 04:00:58 AM »
The problem is compounded by the lack a legit pass rush; I expect Dallas to take a step back this year....

I tend to agree. Especially with a whole year of film on Dak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zombo

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 07:34:54 AM »
Agree with prior two Dallas posts...

Dak had a magic year...and I like the kid...now we find out if he's the real deal or
not...not last year...and he needs to be really good to cover for that D...

Having a weak pass rush coupled with a weak secondary seems like a blueprint to
fail...but they are so good on Oline and running game they will be tough..but I
don't see another 13-3....

Lets see what draft brings to them and NYG before any further assessments...

WheresDayne

• All-Pro
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 47
    • View Profile
    • Phil Simms
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 08:16:48 AM »
Their O-Line is very good, but that too took a hit in free agency.  An injury here or a poor performance there and things could be very different than they were last year!

President Rick

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 83
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 09:56:35 AM »
skins are a mess.  cousins the bright spot but weak cast and feud with mgt.

iggles are in rebuild mode and spent DE $ on a backup qb.  yikes.

cows have lost some players and have not added much.  zeke is imploding, witten has to retire to canton soon, and zak can't play much better than in '16, so....

that leaves one other nfc east team, and IMO we didn't lose much in FA and gained some good players in positions of need.  Hopefully, Go Giants.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

COGiantFan

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 360
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 11:52:25 AM »
We shouldn't get too xxxxy, because unlike our situation, the Dallas holes are in the positions this draft is stacked at.  It is a good year for re-tooling a defensive backfield.  And there are a lot of edge rushers as well.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist

pagan43

• Mod Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 12:56:19 PM »
The Boyz lost Ron Leary to Denver and are rumored to be losing Doug Free to retirement (with a year remaining on his contract).

Even though most Dallas fans will argue that they still have a reserve in La'el Collins picked up off of the scrap heap, the superb O-Line that allowed two rookies (Elliot and Prescott) to light up the rest of the league (ah-hum... everyone except the Giants of course) may not be as solid this season.

Add to that, the Boys are in only slightly better cap space position than the Giants: They can't drop serious coin without shedding people or restructuring. So, it's not any more likely that they can replace lost talent on their awesome O-Line than it is for the Giants to improve their much less awesome Line.

Without the luxury of their massive studs up front, it's not unreasonable to question the effectiveness of those same rookies in the upcoming season.

In the meantime of course, they took such a free agency beating on the defensive side of the ball, they may have no choice but to plug some retreads and rookies into the O-Line while they devote the lions share of their draft to repopulating the D-Line and backfield.

Like Spags said; "You can't put a steak on every plate."

pagan43

Shoelessjoe

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 03:25:25 PM »
Dave, Like Spags said; "You can't put a steak on every plate." just make sure you put one on my plate.

pagan43

• Mod Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2017, 09:03:46 AM »
Surf & Turf for you, Frank.

Spare no expense.

pagan43