Author Topic: Could this be the year Reese drafts a LB in round one?  (Read 1042 times)

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 1077
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
Could this be the year Reese drafts a LB in round one?
« on: March 20, 2017, 09:01:30 AM »
There are three potential targets at 23 for the Giants to draft and there are reasons for all three:

1)  LB Jarrad Davis, Florida (6' 1" 238 lb)-   You want a solid cover LB to cover all those TEs coming out in the draft?  This is your guy.  Could be a Will or Mike LB.

2) LB Zach Cunningham, Vanderbilt (6' 3" 234 lb)-  Last year it was reported the Giants were interested in Leonard Floyd only to see the Bears trade up and take him right before the Giants drafted.  Well Cunningham is the closest thing to Floyd in this year's draft

3)  LB Haason Reddick, Temple (6' 1" 237 lb)-  A college DE who is being projected to LB due to his size and the fact that he extremely athletic.  Could play Mike or Sam and rotate to the D-line in a NASCAR package.  Was a star at the Senior Bowl and the Combine

So could this be the year the "Jerry Reese doesn't draft LBs in round one" rule is broken?   
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 464
    • View Profile
Re: Could this be the year Reese drafts a LB in round one?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 09:19:06 AM »
At 23 it's very possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 214
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 09:20:46 AM »
Just based on the Giants' history, I doubt it. Also, the defense was very solid last year and is mostly left intact. Our offense stunk up the joint and at times we looked pitiful in trying to get down the field. I have to believe the Giants are thinking offense in round one. But on the other hand, the draft always surprises so who knows. I don't know if T.J. Watts will be available in the 2nd round when it's our turn, but that seems more likely. My bet is that they go for an offensive lineman (Ramcyzk, Lamp, etc.) or a RB (Cook or McCaffrey) or a TE (Howard or Njoku). I will be shocked if the Giants tab a LB in the first.

Philosophers

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 137
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 09:25:25 AM »
I do not believe the Giants love 6'1" LBs (as high draft picks) as I think they believe that it limits their ability to add sufficient weight yet maintain their speed.  The comparisons with Floyd are silly.  Floyd was a clear pass rushing LB in college more than other responsibilities plus Floyd is 6'5" or 6'6" so he is tall like a DE. 

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 09:47:57 AM »
I do not believe the Giants love 6'1" LBs (as high draft picks) as I think they believe that it limits their ability to add sufficient weight yet maintain their speed.  The comparisons with Floyd are silly.  Floyd was a clear pass rushing LB in college more than other responsibilities plus Floyd is 6'5" or 6'6" so he is tall like a DE.

Do you think Jerry Reese went to Nashville, Tennessee because he is fond of Country music?   

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/51154/giants-gm-jerry-reese-checks-out-vanderbilt-lb-zach-cunningham-at-pro-day
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

PSUBeirut

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 30
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 09:53:23 AM »
To be fair, it's not just Reese.  The last 1st rounder was Carl Banks.   =))

And, in a short answer- I WISH.  But highly doubtful.

Hadron

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 10:12:31 AM »
TBH, I think the Giants are looking at a potential O/D linemen in the first round. Not going to pigeonhole them into just the "oline" category.

bamagiantfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 265
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 10:22:21 AM »
The Giants have done so poorly in the 3rd Round I would be happy to see them package their first and third (and any other later picks they wish to part with) and move up a couple of spots and go get who they want.

Its not like they have done even remotely well in Rounds 3-7 in the last decade, so the value of the picks to someone else would likely be higher than their value to the team. It hurts to say that, but the history is pretty bad.  :(
Go Giants!

jerseyguy

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 10:33:33 AM »
I would love a top LBer in round one but Reese has shown that he wouldn't ...

Bob In PA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 421
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 10:37:43 AM »
A first-round linebacker for the Giants is a possibility this year.

I don't even want to say the guy's name because it will jinx the idea.

If that happens, the Giants will certainly not pass him up.

Bob

PS. He's not on Rich's list.

jerseyguy

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 10:40:19 AM »
A first-round linebacker for the Giants is a possibility this year.

I don't even want to say the guy's name because it will jinx the idea.

If that happens, the Giants will certainly not pass him up.

Bob

PS. He's not on Rich's list.

Bob, my problem with this idea is that it doesn't fix an ineffective offense or build Eli's self confidence back .

Philosophers

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 10:55:23 AM »
Mighty - Zach Cunninghal is not a 6'1" LB but is 6'3" and more typical of what they want.  My comment was about the other LBs, Davis and Reddick who were mentioned so no he wasnt there for country music.

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 11:03:09 AM »
Mighty - Zach Cunninghal is not a 6'1" LB but is 6'3" and more typical of what they want.  My comment was about the other LBs, Davis and Reddick who were mentioned so no he wasnt there for country music.

I only compared Cunningham to Floyd, the other prospects had their own reasons for being on the list. 

Cid in Dupont

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 108
  • Best SB ever!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 11:40:15 AM »
I will go on record now...as long as Reese is at the helm, the Giants won't draft a LB in the 1st round.  I simply don't believe that he thinks it is one of the "key" positions on the field, and his FA and drafting moves have proven this out.

Our best bet is for him to resign Keenan Robinson for a 2-3 year deal.  But I'm not sure he'll even do that.

FTR, I'd love to see him draft a true difference maker at LB, but outside of the kid from Vandy, I don't see anyone that could be that.

Cid
Even a fool when he holds his peace is considered wise; when he closes his lips he is esteemed a man of understanding.

Philosophers

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 11:52:36 AM »
I do kot think ZC plays like LF ever did in college.  He may be interested in Zach but for different reason she