Author Topic: Could this be the year Reese drafts a LB in round one?  (Read 810 times)

todge

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 185
    • View Profile
Re: Could this be the year Reese drafts a LB in round one?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 12:07:59 PM »
Do you think Jerry Reese went to Nashville, Tennessee because he is fond of Country music?   

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/51154/giants-gm-jerry-reese-checks-out-vanderbilt-lb-zach-cunningham-at-pro-day

You know Rich that visiting players on Pro Day or bringing them in for a personal visit has no correlation with actually being drafted.  The Giants will tell you they are completing Draft grades.

JR likes Country Music?  ;)

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 978
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 12:18:58 PM »
You know Rich that visiting players on Pro Day or bringing them in for a personal visit has no correlation with actually being drafted.  The Giants will tell you they are completing Draft grades.

JR likes Country Music?  ;)

Ted,

You're correct about team visits.  Players brought in for visits are usually there because the team still has some questions or blanks that need to be filled in.  Between the Senior Bowl, college Pro Days and the Combine most prospects have been interviewed and scouted pretty well. 

On the other hand, where Jerry Reese decides to visit may be more telling.   This time of year Jerry Reese is a busy man and travel takes time out of that busy schedule.   When this former scout decides to go to a college to get a first-hand view, one can assume the team has more than a casual interest.  That's assuming Jerry isn't playing games and making decoy visits in an attempt to put up a smoke screen as to the team's intentions. 

Jerry Reese when they drafted Ereck Flowers

Q: Did you go check him out personally at his pro day? What did you see when you were down there?
A: I did go to the pro day and I saw a big guy. There were 32 teams there and probably 10-12 offensive line coaches, and they put him through a lot of drills. It was hot down there and he stayed out there and he went through every drill and never complained a bit. He did an outstanding job down there.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 02:10:43 PM by MightyGiants »
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

UKGiantsFan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 210
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 12:57:58 PM »
I do kot think ZC plays like LF ever did in college.  He may be interested in Zach but for different reason she

Size, speed and ability to stick with TE's down the field. We likely won't have Robinson back so no one to play that nickel LB role. Remember, we're in nickel 60% of the time anyway so it's pretty much a starters workload as a rookie and a year later Casillas is a UFA so WLB is open

todge

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 02:05:48 PM »
Ted,

You're correct about team visits.  Players brought in for visits are usually there because the team still has some questions or blanks that need to be filled in.  Between the Senior Bowl, college Pro Days and the Combine most prospects have been interviewed and scouted pretty well. 

On the other hand, where Jerry Reese decides to visit may be more tell.   This time of year Jerry Reese is a busy man and travel takes time out of that busy schedule.   When this former scout decides to go to a college to get a first-hand view, one can assume the team has more than a casual interest.  That's assuming Jerry isn't playing games and making decoy visits in an attempt to put up a smoke screen as to the team's intentions. 

Jerry Reese when they drafted Ereck Flowers

Q: Did you go check him out personally at his pro day? What did you see when you were down there?
A: I did go to the pro day and I saw a big guy. There were 32 teams there and probably 10-12 offensive line coaches, and they put him through a lot of drills. It was hot down there and he stayed out there and he went through every drill and never complained a bit. He did an outstanding job down there.

What I was saying is that just because the team has more than a casual interest does not mean they are going to Draft him.

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 978
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 02:12:28 PM »
What I was saying is that just because the team has more than a casual interest does not mean they are going to Draft him.

Ted,

Last year Jerry went out to see Leonard Floyd personally.  Do you think if the Bears hadn't traded up to draft him right before the Giants, he would have been the Giants first round pick? 
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Shoelessjoe

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 46
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 02:54:33 PM »
Bob, could you be talking about Mr. Peppers from Michigan?  If so, you are talking more then just a LB.  The kid is like a Swiss Army knife.  He can also play RB and QB in a wildcat if you like.

todge

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 05:12:10 PM »
Ted,

Last year Jerry went out to see Leonard Floyd personally.  Do you think if the Bears hadn't traded up to draft him right before the Giants, he would have been the Giants first round pick?

No I don't think so.  The Giants lost how many games that year due to pathetic secondary play?  They really needed to shore up the secondary and the Draft depth at CB was weak that year.

todge

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 05:16:41 PM »
Size, speed and ability to stick with TE's down the field. We likely won't have Robinson back so no one to play that nickel LB role. Remember, we're in nickel 60% of the time anyway so it's pretty much a starters workload as a rookie and a year later Casillas is a UFA so WLB is open

Ceri - the Giants have traditionally stayed away from "run and chase" LBers.  The Greg Jones 2011 selection burned them pretty badly.  It looks like the Giants may have a size requirement for their LBs, so I am wondering if they are going to change their ways and look at kids like Cunningham.  Thoughts?

LennG

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 626
  • My Man YA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2017, 05:43:24 PM »
If there is no sure fire OL there, when we pick, the Giants go to BPA and that could very well be a LB. Boy, that would be a blessing in disguise. We have a great front 4, and a very good back 4 but we are sub par in the middle 3, so drafting a good LB would help this defense out.

I like it.   :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

UKGiantsFan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 210
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2017, 04:56:25 AM »
Ceri - the Giants have traditionally stayed away from "run and chase" LBers.  The Greg Jones 2011 selection burned them pretty badly.  It looks like the Giants may have a size requirement for their LBs, so I am wondering if they are going to change their ways and look at kids like Cunningham.  Thoughts?

I'm not a big Cunningham fan but can see how some of his athletic attributes mesh with those of Leonard Floyd who Reese also went to see. We normally lean towards guys who offer something as pass rushers and I prefer Haason Reddick anyway. That said, we do like our LB's bigger than Reddick...

So who else fits? Well, lazy analysts have lumped Houston OLB Tyrus Bowrus into the 3-4 only rush LB category but if you watch him play he has a real all around game and if you saw him move at the Combine you'll understand why I think he can play in the 4-3. He's very smooth in reverse and a menace as a blitzed. He checks all the boxes for me but with Robinson now returning I'm not sure LB is as big a need as it looked yesterday.

PSUBeirut

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 26
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2017, 12:00:03 PM »
If you're playing "Giants drafting a Linebacker in the 1st round" bingo at home, go ahead and cover up:

-Carl Banks
-Run and Chase
-Rush Only Backer
-Greg Jones

Stay tuned for
-Too small
-Too big
-Wrong scheme
-Clint Sintim

Bob In PA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 311
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2017, 12:05:06 PM »
Bob, could you be talking about Mr. Peppers from Michigan?  If so, you are talking more then just a LB.  The kid is like a Swiss Army knife.  He can also play RB and QB in a wildcat if you like.

Joe: I like Peppers a lot, but I'm having trouble deciding if (and how) he might fit into the Giants' defense (i.e., Spag's defense).  What do you think?  Bob
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 01:11:08 PM by Bob In PA »

terrymeisner

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 90
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2017, 12:41:13 PM »
Bob, could you be talking about Mr. Peppers from Michigan?
-----------------------------------------------

Frank.....isn't peppers a safety?......go Giants!!!!!

from gbn......

The big news in Mayock’s rating today, though, is that he has moved Michigan’s Jabrill Peppers to the top slot at safety ahead of LSU’s Jamal Adams and Malik Hooker of Ohio State. Peppers had a really solid combine performance earlier this month, whereas Adams only ran okay, while Hooker is out for a while with an injury.

bamagiantfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 212
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2017, 03:50:49 PM »
Frank.....isn't peppers a safety?......go Giants!!!!!

So was Ulracher, and he turned out okay.
Go Giants!

Hadron

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2017, 03:55:17 PM »
Mark Barron is also a converted safety. He's no Urlacher but he's played LB better than safety.

Deone Buchanan in AZ is another converted safety.