Author Topic: If you could get him for a reasonable price  (Read 759 times)

andrew_nyGiants

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 128
    • View Profile
If you could get him for a reasonable price
« on: March 20, 2017, 09:02:01 AM »
would you open a conversation with Revis about a move to Free Safety?

It could make our very good secondary that much better (and deeper).

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 510
    • View Profile
Re: If you could get him for a reasonable price
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 09:05:56 AM »
would you open a conversation with Revis about a move to Free Safety?

It could make our very good secondary that much better (and deeper).
Definitely if there was cap space. That would be a great move for a season in a one year deal. What's his asking price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

andrew_nyGiants

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 09:07:55 AM »
Definitely if there was cap space. That would be a great move for a season in a one year deal. What's his asking price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea  :D

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 1175
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 09:11:54 AM »
Having listened to Andrew Bryant (former Green Bay front office guy) I can't help but remember the message he has repeated over and over again.  As you know, Green Bay is all about building through the draft.   When you sign an aging veteran like Revis and put him on the field you are retarding the growth/development of your own home grown drafted talent.   In this case, the Giants had a promising rookie Darian Thompson who's broken foot derailed the rest of his rookie season.   I would rather continue to see Thompson grow into the FS role, rather than add someone like Revis who would be a stopgap at best and a guy who is all about the money. 
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

andrew_nyGiants

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 09:14:25 AM »
Having listened to Andrew Bryant (former Green Bay front office guy) I can't help but remember the message he has repeated over and over again.  As you know, Green Bay is all about building through the draft.   When you sign an aging veteran like Revis and put him on the field you are retarding the growth/development of your own home grown drafted talent.   In this case, the Giants had a promising rookie Darian Thompson who's broken foot derailed the rest of his rookie season.   I would rather continue to see Thompson grow into the FS role, rather than add someone like Revis who would be a stopgap at best and a guy who is all about the money.

But what if his main responsibility was as a mentor and a back up to Thompson and the rest of the secondary?

Philosophers

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 155
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 09:15:07 AM »
Why?  We already have a FS in Thompson and in less than a full season, he already looks to be a good one.  Why pay up for a former great player (on the decline) to shift him to a new position?  Makes no sense to me.

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 09:18:27 AM »
But what if his main responsibility was as a mentor and a back up to Thompson and the rest of the secondary?

Andrew,

I don't think Revis is ready for or would be satisfied with a backup role.  I would expect what Revis will do is keep himself in shape and wait for a starting CB to get hurt in a PS game or early in the season and then sign.   He would get to start, miss training camp and still make a few million.   
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

andrew_nyGiants

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 09:21:08 AM »
Why?  We already have a FS in Thompson and in less than a full season, he already looks to be a good one.  Why pay up for a former great player (on the decline) to shift him to a new position?  Makes no sense to me.

There have been a handful of great cover corners who have spent their latter years as very effective FS. I also qualified my idea with a reasonable price.

Thompson looks very good, no doubt. But how many times have we been teased with great talent only to have that light flicker due to injury? As far as I can see, we don't have good talent as depth at FS.

Which is why I started the thread. Just trying to keep things lively.  ;)

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 09:37:36 AM »
There have been a handful of great cover corners who have spent their latter years as very effective FS. I also qualified my idea with a reasonable price.

Thompson looks very good, no doubt. But how many times have we been teased with great talent only to have that light flicker due to injury? As far as I can see, we don't have good talent as depth at FS.

Which is why I started the thread. Just trying to keep things lively.  ;)

The Giants used Leon Hall as the third Safety/Corner and Revis would be an upgrade no doubt. Thompson to me is still an unproven commodity and I still see him having a role if Revis is signed. Again a one year deal would work for me. It's not a bad idea if the numbers work.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Hadron

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 09:53:25 AM »
Adam's wasn't awful last year and he's young?

umassgrad

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 43
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 09:56:21 AM »
As stated before, getting Thompson back healthy is like adding another 3rd round pick to this year's draft. Let's hope he stays healthy, but I would agree with Rich, Thompson should get the majority of snaps next season.

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 10:11:02 AM »
The thing to keep in mind is that Revis got 6MM severance from the Jets and he gets that sitting on the couch. Why wold he sign for less to still get that money. As I understand it, if a team signs him to a 1MM contract, the Jets pay 5mm. He was out of shape last season. Realistically, it shouldn't happen here in NY. If he wants to keep his career going, he signs somewhere. I read Pittsburgh or NE.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2017-pittsburgh-steelers-free-agency-news-rumors/2017/3/18/14964392/3-reasons-why-darrelle-revis-going-to-the-steelers-makes-sense-cornerback-free-agent-rumors

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 10:11:09 AM »
Adam's wasn't awful last year and he's young?

Yes Adams was a rookie out of CT who looked pretty good when pressed into a starter role.   Throw in Berhe and they seem pretty set at the position.

Hadron

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 10:14:38 AM »
Yes Adams was a rookie out of CT who looked pretty good when pressed into a starter role.   Throw in Berhe and they seem pretty set at the position.

Never been a fan of Berhe.  He's a less impressive version of Merriweather. If anything, it might be time to look at another mid-late round safety to compete with Berhe.

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 10:31:45 AM »
Never been a fan of Berhe.  He's a less impressive version of Merriweather. If anything, it might be time to look at another mid-late round safety to compete with Berhe.

How many concussions has he had? He can't stay on the field and I wouldn't be surprised if he's cut.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin