Author Topic: If you could get him for a reasonable price  (Read 697 times)

jerseyguy

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 68
    • View Profile
Re: If you could get him for a reasonable price
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 10:35:27 AM »
signing Revis might just be making another aging veteran richer.

Hadron

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 10:36:41 AM »
How many concussions has he had? He can't stay on the field and I wouldn't be surprised if he's cut.

My thoughts exactly. The dude is a human missile which means injury prone and a short career.

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 1077
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2017, 10:40:17 AM »
Ed and Hadron,

You guys make valid points about Berhe.   That whole human missile act has got to go.

"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2017, 10:42:50 AM »
Darrelle Revis - DB - Free Agent
Patriots coach Bill Belichick reportedly told Darrelle Revis "a few years ago" that Revis' skill set wouldn't translate to safety.
Per the Boston Herald, the topic of Revis eventually converting to safety came up the last time the Patriots and Revis had contract talks. Belichick "shot it down because he didn’t think Revis’ skills translated to the position." Still, buzz is growing of Revis resurfacing in Foxboro, where he would likely play cornerback if Malcolm Butler gets dealt. Revis' biggest obstacle is his physical conditioning, which caused his 2016 downturn with the Jets.
Related: Patriots
Source: Boston Herald Mar 20 - 10:34 AM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4155/darrelle-revis
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

bighitterdalama

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2017, 11:08:26 AM »
How many concussions has he had? He can't stay on the field and I wouldn't be surprised if he's cut.

Ed, I too expect Behre to ultimately be let go. In fact, on my own personal "Big Hitter's Guess" roster board, I have both Behre and Mykkele Thompson getting cut. That said, the Giants, who played most of 2016 with only two healthy safeties, need to add at least one more player to position. I suspect that they will use a late round pick at safety.

Big Hitter

gambit_1

• Reserve
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2017, 11:11:55 AM »
Two in the same season last year

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Webster29

• Mod Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2017, 11:13:35 AM »
The subject of Revis moving to safety came up for discussion on Sirius the other day and the talking heads (can't remember who) seemed to agree with Belichick's assessment that Revis would not be a good fit at safety.  In addition to his skill set he doesn't have the body to play safety.   I would pass on taking him.  Seems to me the money being as tight as it is could be better spent in other areas.

COGiantFan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 359
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2017, 11:41:28 AM »
With some of our biggest young stars coming up for free agency in the next couple of years, the last thing I want to introduce to the locker room is a "show me the money" hired gun mentality.  So no, not at a reasonable price, nor any price.  I also don't want to mess with the chemistry of a defense that has the potential of being the best in the league.  And, IMO, WAS the best defense in the league last year if we consider they were the second best overall scoring defense, they were regularly put into bad situations by the offense, and were on the field for more plays than all but 5 team's.

Nope, don't need him, don't want him.  Spend the available money on a 3T tackle instead, or the offense, IMO.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist

andrew_nyGiants

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 115
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2017, 11:54:41 AM »
With some of our biggest young stars coming up for free agency in the next couple of years, the last thing I want to introduce to the locker room is a "show me the money" hired gun mentality.  So no, not at a reasonable price, nor any price.  I also don't want to mess with the chemistry of a defense that has the potential of being the best in the league.  And, IMO, WAS the best defense in the league last year if we consider they were the second best overall scoring defense, they were regularly put into bad situations by the offense, and were on the field for more plays than all but 5 team's.

Nope, don't need him, don't want him.  Spend the available money on a 3T tackle instead, or the offense, IMO.

You convinced me on your position. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2017, 02:46:15 PM »
Darrelle Revis - DB - Free Agent
According to The Ringer's Mike Lombardi, free agent Darrelle Revis remains unsigned because Revis "has not really taken care of his body" and "looked slow" on game tape last season.
Lombardi pointed to 38-year-old Terence Newman as a cornerback who has taken care of himself late in his career, whereas 31-year-old Revis has not. "He played slow. He looked slow," said Lombardi. "Players that gain weight during their career fall off the Earth." Also noting Revis had "two massages a week" during his time in New England, Lombardi believes "no one is going to take the $6 million burden off the Jets," referring to Revis' $6 million in offset guarantees. "I think Revis is begging for a job."
Related: Jets
Source: Mike Lombardi Podcast Mar 20 - 2:42 PM

Philosophers

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 137
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2017, 05:00:21 PM »
I hate to see the growth of promising young guys get stymied because of the signing of a vet likely to be here for 1 year.  I wonder if SS will experience this with the signing of Marshall.  OBJ will scream for the ball.  Marshall will scream louder.  SS may likely see much less. 

andrew_nyGiants

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 115
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2017, 05:16:40 PM »
I hate to see the growth of promising young guys get stymied because of the signing of a vet likely to be here for 1 year.  I wonder if SS will experience this with the signing of Marshall.  OBJ will scream for the ball.  Marshall will scream louder.  SS may likely see much less.

I don't think that Marshall will take opportunities from Shepherd as much as I think a big TE with good hands will....and to be honest, in that case I want the TE to get more looks.