Author Topic: I like what Jerry Reese is doing in this free agency period  (Read 379 times)

todge

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 206
    • View Profile
Re: I like what Jerry Reese is doing in this free agency period
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 12:24:06 PM »
I think the Giants could trade down but the fact that they have most positions covered makes me think it's more likely they would trade up (if they think there is a special prospect)..   

I think there is also a chance the Giants do draft a QB in round one.   Jerry Reese, like all GMs, is thinking long term and not just this season.   Franchise QBs are hard to find and if you think you will need one in a year or two you grab him.   That said, I am not sure the Giants see any of these QBs as a franchise QB.   One former scout made a comment that he has yet to hear a scout or GM use the term "love" when it came to a QB prospect (or an OT prospect for that matter).

Josh Brown could be brought back, but it's not like Brown is a young man (he will be 38 years old next month) so I think more than his domestic issues, they will move on from him as a result of his age.     The team does have one Kicker on the roster, they will most likely draft or sign an undrafted rookie.   If neither pans out, they will most likely look to acquire the loser of another team's kicking competition.

A Round One QB?  I would be absolutely stunned if that happened.  The Giants are a win now team. Why would they draft someone to hold a clipboard for several years when they have holes to fill on the OL, RB, TE and LB corps?

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 928
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 12:32:52 PM »
A Round One QB?  I would be absolutely stunned if that happened.  The Giants are a win now team. Why would they draft someone to hold a clipboard for several years when they have holes to fill on the OL, RB, TE and LB corps?

Ted,

The point of my thread was that Reese has effectively eliminated all the "holes" (I am assuming the signing of a 3 tech).  What I would describe those areas you mention now as "areas that can be improved upon".   Also, while fans are "win now", GMs are always thinking long term.
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

andrew_nyGiants

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 110
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 05:56:40 PM »
I think the Giants could trade down but the fact that they have most positions covered makes me think it's more likely they would trade up (if they think there is a special prospect)..   

I think there is also a chance the Giants do draft a QB in round one.   Jerry Reese, like all GMs, is thinking long term and not just this season.   Franchise QBs are hard to find and if you think you will need one in a year or two you grab him.   That said, I am not sure the Giants see any of these QBs as a franchise QB.   One former scout made a comment that he has yet to hear a scout or GM use the term "love" when it came to a QB prospect (or an OT prospect for that matter).

Josh Brown could be brought back, but it's not like Brown is a young man (he will be 38 years old next month) so I think more than his domestic issues, they will move on from him as a result of his age.     The team does have one Kicker on the roster, they will most likely draft or sign an undrafted rookie.   If neither pans out, they will most likely look to acquire the loser of another team's kicking competition.

Speaking of trading down, how about our 1st and 4th round picks for Joe Thomas and one of Clevelands' 2nd rounders?  :D :P
#DEADHORSEBEATEN

uconnjack8

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 118
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 06:56:27 PM »
Rich,

Your points are well taken.  This has been one of JR's M.O.s throughout his tenure.  Sometimes he is more successful than others but the goal always seems to be to not leaving any gaping holes that would force their hands in the draft. 

I think when looking at FA it can not be viewed in a vacuum of "who is available and who did we sign?".  It has to be viewed as part of the greater plan of an offseason strategy. 

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 928
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 07:10:59 PM »
Rich,

Your points are well taken.  This has been one of JR's M.O.s throughout his tenure.  Sometimes he is more successful than others but the goal always seems to be to not leaving any gaping holes that would force their hands in the draft. 

I think when looking at FA it can not be viewed in a vacuum of "who is available and who did we sign?".  It has to be viewed as part of the greater plan of an offseason strategy.
Absolutely Uconn,  you nailed it.  Right after the season teams will self scout.  They decide who to keep and who to let go.  Then they develop a free agency plan in conjunction with what they anticipate from the draft.  It all fits together

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"