Author Topic: Giants Officially Sign QB Geno Smith  (Read 611 times)

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 1075
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
Giants Officially Sign QB Geno Smith
« on: March 20, 2017, 02:58:56 PM »
 <:-P

Ian Rapoport  @RapSheet
Former #Jets QB Geno Smith has passed his physical and is signing with the #Giants, source said. It's a 1-year deal worth $2M total.

Seriously, I can think of worse signings.   A change of scenery might just be what Geno needs.  Beyond that, the market for solid backup QBs seems to have been stripped bare.  Unless you count Fitzpatrick who seems to have made himself less than wanted by the hijinks he engaged in last season (along with less than stellar play).

Mike Garafolo  @MikeGarafolo
2m
Once again proving that "passing a physical" is subjective. He'll be limited in his return but NYG hopeful it'll be a smooth recovery.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 03:00:28 PM by MightyGiants »
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

bamagiantfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 265
    • View Profile
Re: Giants Officially Sign QB Geno Smith
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 03:09:32 PM »
Good.
Go Giants!

President Rick

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 82
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 03:25:26 PM »
fitzpatrick would want a LOT more $$ than smith.   foles got, what $7 or 8 mil. a year???? 

let smith and johnson compete for that clipboard.  Go Giants.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 05:50:39 PM »
"I think the opportunity to learn from (quarterbacks) coach (Frank) Cignetti, coach (Ben) McAdoo, and to be alongside Eli (Manning) and learn from him, a two-time Super Bowl champion and, in my opinion, a Hall of Fame quarterback, I think it will work out tremendously for me," Smith said in a statement released by the Giants. "And it's also an opportunity to be on a real good team, a winning team, get healthy. It's just a perfect scenario for me. I couldn't have written it up any better myself."

https://www.sny.tv/giants/news/geno-smith-says-giants-are-perfect-scenario-for-him/220145430
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

joeyfootball

• Mod Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 07:37:11 PM »
I am happy geo is a giant, for he is only 26 years of age, and has play in the league.

Josh Johnson is a backup in case all goes wrong. Better to have 3 qbs. in case/

GiantFan67

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 08:09:55 PM »
Wow-An earth shattering move?  /sarcasm/ /sarcasm/ /sarcasm/

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 461
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 09:03:53 PM »
Ok, so let's hope he comes back for camp and doesn't waste a year. The upside is that they can set up some plays for him and we can see how this offense works with an agile QB in the preseason so it can be decided which direction they can move in the post Eli era. Let's hope he never has to play in a game that counts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

BlueMoshik

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 72
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 10:05:05 AM »
Excellent move. I suspect that Geno Smith will benefit greatly from leaving the Jets, and he might turn out to be better - much better - than any of us currently think.

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 03:46:49 PM »
Here is a pretty good interview Geno had back in February.  Imagine if the Geno starts a couple of games and does well.  If another team signs him for big money next year, the Giants could be due a nice comp pick.   

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000788166/article/geno-smith-being-a-backup-qb-is-not-my-goal

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 461
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 04:31:46 PM »
Is he the first Black QB on a Giant's roster that's not going to move back and forth from the practice squad?

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

bamagiantfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 05:34:57 PM »
Is he the first Black QB on a Giant's roster that's not going to move back and forth from the practice squad?

I had to think about that one for a second, but I believe you are right. There was a QB from Kentucky a few years ago, but I can't remember if he was rostered consistently or not.
Go Giants!

joeyfootball

• Mod Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 112
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 06:29:31 PM »
here is your answer.

2007 -  anthony wright - use to qb dallas and cinncy.

2008 andre woodson - went to kentucky.

both were black qbs.

bamagiantfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 09:08:43 AM »
Woodson was the guy I was thinking of.
Go Giants!

TDToomer

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 11:10:28 AM »
I am a big fan of this signing.  I don't see him as a threat to Eli but as a more capable backup than Nassib or Johnson who has been poorly coached by a lousy organization for 4 years.  I almost wish the contract was a year or 2 longer to see if he could be the heir apparent to Eli.  But since he could be gone in 1 year we still need to draft a QB early.     
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

Bob In PA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 421
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 11:16:09 AM »
I am a big fan of this signing.  I don't see him as a threat to Eli but as a more capable backup than Nassib or Johnson who has been poorly coached by a lousy organization for 4 years.  I almost wish the contract was a year or 2 longer to see if he could be the heir apparent to Eli.  But since he could be gone in 1 year we still need to draft a QB early.     

TD: Sometimes, a change of offensive scheme can make a difference; it really DOES matter which team you're on; and talent CAN be stifled in the wrong situation. Bob