News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Some Basics of the 4-3 Defense

Started by vette5573, February 16, 2008, 07:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vette5573

As we all do, I have football as a hobby to pass some of my down time and to break up all that goes on in my everyday life. One of the books I have read is "Coaching the multiple 4-3 Defense" by Dennis Harris. This book is intended for developing the system in high school and college ranks, but the information is universal to the concept and provides knowledge of the fundamentals of the game. I wrote a short essay to share some of this information with all of you, in this terrific forum provided by Rich ( MightyGiants) called Chalk Talk.

The more we explore the game of Football together, the more we understand and appreciate the complexity and the science of this great game. One of the reasons I love this game so much is because it challenges the mind and the learning process never ends. I hope I explained the information clearly and that you enjoy the subject matter. I felt it necessary to start off with some related information.

The Hashmarks
On an NFL field, the distance from sideline to sideline is 53.3 yards or 160 feet. The hashmarks are 70.9 feet from each sideline. The distance between the hashmarks is 18.2 feet on center, which is the same as the distance between the goal posts. This is different than high school or college dimensions.

The Strong Side
The strong side of the field is the side of the ball on the line that the offense has more players lined up with. The common answer is the side the TE lines up, but it

MightyGiants

Good stuff Ed, very well written. :ok:
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

vette5573

Thanks Rich.                                             

Painter

Wow! That's a tremendous resource you have provided for us Xs & Os junkies, vette.  However much we may, or may not, be capable of fully understanding all the details, it does establish just how much more complex the game really is than we so often assume it to be.

I was especially pleased to see it mentioned at the very beginning that The strong side of the field is the side of the ball on the line that the offense has more players lined up with. The common answer is the side the TE lines up, but it

vette5573

Thanks Painter, I'm looking forward to that Linebacker report.