News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Dalvin Cook Demonstrates the Importance of the Combine

Started by MightyGiants, March 26, 2017, 10:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

It's funny I have heard and seen incorrect assessments of the Combine in both directions.  Some greatly undervalue it with catch phrases like, "the underwear Olympics" to others that ignore production on the field in favor of an all numbers approach to scouting. 

As often is the case, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.   The Combine is a tool to help scout players better.  It can point out deficiencies to be double checked or confirm suspicions.

This article perfectly demonstrates how the Combine is used (or should be used)

http://insidethepylon.com/film-study/film-study-u/offense-film-study-u/2017/03/20/dalvin-cook-demonstrates-combine/
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

beaugestus

Good stuff Rich. I sometimes look at college games and see holes made by the better OLs a truck could drive through. Giving the RB a huge amount of yardage where he's untouched until he is hit in the defensive backfield.

MightyGiants

Quote from: beaugestus on March 27, 2017, 07:20:37 AM
Good stuff Rich. I sometimes look at college games and see holes made by the better OLs a truck could drive through. Giving the RB a huge amount of yardage where he's untouched until he is hit in the defensive backfield.

That is perhaps the biggest challenge in scouting.  It's not about just watching players and the ones that do best are the ones you pick.  You need to look at what they are doing in a significantly different game with lesser players around them and try to project that to the NFL level.   A defensive lineman who gets by bull rushing weaker college competition suddenly finds that NFL offensive linemen are as strong or stronger than they are. 

The other thing that I have learned recently was Mike Lombardi says one film against top notch college competition is worth 4 or more tapes against lesser teams.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

PSUBeirut

I can't wait for you guys to get a good, long look at PSU's Saquon Barkley.  Obviously, as a PSU guy I watch every game- and this guy is the best RB prospect I've seen since Ki-Jana Carter out of PSU.  He is the total package of strength, speed, agility, vision, pass-catching, blocking, and passion for the game.  Put up 200+ as a true freshman against the national championship Ohio State team (in their house).  He's a human highlight reel and the hardest worker on the team. 

I pray he does not get injured so his career can be what it should be.   :D