News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

After talking to "sources" Raanan predicts the Giants grab Cunningham

Started by MightyGiants, March 27, 2017, 10:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

QuoteWith the 23rd overall selection in the first round of the 2017 NFL draft, the New York Giants select
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Rich:  If true, I wonder whether the Giants might not want to play him on the outside (i.e., cover the TE, rush the passer from the flanks).  Bob

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MightyGiants

Quote from: Bob In PA on March 27, 2017, 10:37:46 AM
Rich:  If true, I wonder whether the Giants might not want to play him on the outside (i.e., cover the TE, rush the passer from the flanks).  Bob

Bob,

For the Giants, he could be an outstanding Will Backer (although a bit awkward when you defensive captain is the starting Will).   I would see him being the sort of playmaking LB the Giants have lacked since Jessie Armstead departed. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

WheresDayne

I would have said no way the Giants pick an LB #1 but after hearing the love John Mara has for Flowers, LB may be their No. 1 priority   :surprise:

Ed Vette

Quote from: WheresDayne on March 27, 2017, 10:48:42 AM
I would have said no way the Giants pick an LB #1 but after hearing the love John Mara has for Flowers, LB may be their No. 1 priority   :surprise:

Yeah, I don't get this either. I would expect seven other positions picked before Linebacker. Do any of you draftnics have Cunningham ahead of McCaffrey or Garett Bolles in your First Round Grades?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

Quote from: Vette on March 27, 2017, 10:56:57 AM
Yeah, I don't get this either. I would expect seven other positions picked before Linebacker. Do any of you draftnics have Cunningham ahead of McCaffrey or Garett Bolles in your First Round Grades?

Ed: I'm no draftnik, but in my book McCaffrey is far ahead of Cunningham and Bolles.  He's a PLAYER.  IMO there will be stiff competition for his services on draft day, and maybe some intrigue and skulduggery, too.  I think the Patriots and the Packers both want him big-time (and maybe McAdoo too?  Who knows!).  Bob

MightyGiants

Here are the number grades from NFL.com (I think they do a pretty good job on their grades and scouting reports) on the three players Ed mentioned.

LB Cunningham, Zach  5.9
RB McCaffrey, Christian 5.9
OT Bolles, Garett  6.1
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

WheresDayne

when I look at what Dallas did with Elliot, I can see McCaffery.  When I look at our OL, I can see Bolles.  When I look at this list of 3 players, I just don't see Cunningham, especially if the other 2 are available as well.

MightyGiants

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the McCaffery pick.   What does McCaffery bring to the team that isn't already covered by Vereen and Perkins?
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Bob In PA

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 27, 2017, 11:52:30 AM
I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the McCaffery pick.   What does McCaffery bring to the team that isn't already covered by Vereen and Perkins?

Rich: IMO, if he is still there at pick 23, he will be the best player available (because the few whom I believe are better players will be long gone).

He can run, he can block, he can catch, he is smart, he is tough, he is strong, he knows the route-tree, he can get open . . . and most importantly he makes plays. 

I would take him over all but a very small handful of players who are available for the NFL draft this season, and with a much higher pick.

Bob

ViewFromSection129

Ten different analysts will have ten different picks for the Giants.  And Jerry is going to multiple pro days.  I can post something too that says that my "sources" suggest the Giants will pick _____. 

Maybe he will be right in the end, but 33 years of drafts with no 1st round LB and the Giants' preference for DE and CB suggests he will not be correct.  Besides, who knows of someone of interest will slide to 23 and throw off the entire assumption he has. 

todge

I agree.  Three different east/west RBs with the addition of MCaffery?  The Giants need a north/south, run-between-the-tackles guy to compliment Vereen and Perkins.  The signing of Perkins probably resulted in McCaffery being off the Giants' Board.

As to Cunningham - he would be a fine addition as a pass rushing Will. But that would also mean the Giants are handing the starting OLT job to Flowers in hopes he will rub a genie's bottle and miraculously be endowed with quick, nimble feet and lateral agility. They could go into the 2nd and 3rd Round to grab some depth at OLT, but I don't see anyone who would be nothing more than a developmental guy at that ledger.

todge

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 27, 2017, 10:10:30 AM
http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/51267/zach-cunningham-would-be-fine-selection-for-giants-in-nfl-draft

There were 60 scouts representing 26 teams at his Pro Day.  So does that mean that all 26 teams would like to draft Cunningham?  Jordan - being at a Pro Day means there is interest in learning more about the prospect. But it has little correlation with that player actually being drafted. 1st Rounders Amukumara and Phillips have stated that they never once heard from any rep from the Giants.

Doc16LT56

McCaffrey is a good player but he's being overrated by a lot of Giants fans.

Vereen will get hurt at some point and McCaffrey can step into that role, but is that where you should be investing a first round pick?

MightyGiants

Patricia Traina?Verified account @Patricia_Traina  41m41 minutes ago
More
Patricia Traina Retweeted CBQUE94
I'm locked in right now on Zach Cunningham if he falls to No. 23.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE