News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

After talking to "sources" Raanan predicts the Giants grab Cunningham

Started by MightyGiants, March 27, 2017, 10:10:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZGiantFan

Or maybe the Giants learned, from past years, and are using disinformation to avoid having someone they really want snatched away by someone trading up ahead of them.

Hey, a guy can dream.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll

Bob In PA

Quote from: COGiantFan on March 27, 2017, 02:40:56 PM
Or maybe the Giants learned, from past years, and are using disinformation to avoid having someone they really want snatched away by someone trading up ahead of them.

Hey, a guy can dream.

CO: You and me both.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

MP21WAYS2PAY

Maybe after years of having telegraphed their  player targets and watching teams swoop in front of them to take their players, the Giants have gotten smart snd started blowing smoke.

todge

Quote from: MP21WAYS2PAY on March 27, 2017, 04:33:08 PM
Maybe after years of having telegraphed their  player targets and watching teams swoop in front of them to take their players, the Giants have gotten smart snd started blowing smoke.

I am curious.  What have the Giants done or said that would be considered "telegraphing"?  About 100% of the media stuff surrounding Draft picks are articles like Ranaan's.
If you read the article closely, Jordan is basing his so-called "prediction" on two things: Reese was at his Pro Day and talks with league sources.  There is no "inside" leak from anyone in the Giants' organization that he has referred to.  Besides, what scout would spill the beans to a reporter like Ranaan that they are focusing in on Cunningham?

As others have alluded to - this is just one of many predictions that will be focusing on who the Giants might draft.  But if the truth be told, Ranaan doesn't know anymore about who the Giants are going to draft than anyone on this Board.

Ed Vette

Quote from: todge on March 27, 2017, 05:11:44 PM
I am curious.  What have the Giants done or said that would be considered "telegraphing"?  About 100% of the media stuff surrounding Draft picks are articles like Ranaan's.
If you read the article closely, Jordan is basing his so-called "prediction" on two things: Reese was at his Pro Day and talks with league sources.  There is no "inside" leak from anyone in the Giants' organization that he has referred to.  Besides, what scout would spill the beans to a reporter like Ranaan that they are focusing in on Cunningham?

As others have alluded to - this is just one of many predictions that will be focusing on who the Giants might draft.  But if the truth be told, Ranaan doesn't know anymore about who the Giants are going to draft than anyone on this Board.

Yes and they don't even know yet.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jaime

MP21WAYS2PAY

Quote from: COGiantFan on March 27, 2017, 02:40:56 PM

Hey, a guy can dream.

CO, somehow I missed your post and Bob's respose and wrote the same thing.  We must share the same conspiratorial mindset.

Quote from: todge on March 27, 2017, 05:11:44 PM
I am curious.  What have the Giants done or said that would be considered "telegraphing"? 

Titans trade up to 8 to take Conklin
Bears trade up to 9 to take Floyd
Giants take Apple at 10

49ers trade up to 18 to take Eric Reid
Giants pick Pugh at 19

Bucs trade up to 31 to take Doug Martin
Giants draft David Wilson at 32

The clearest example here is the Bears, who were at 11, and moved up to 9.  The only reason for them to move up was to get in front of the Giants, therefore, they knew the Giants would select Floyd.  Did they know that because Jerry Reese was drooling on his shoes at Floyds pro day?  I don't know.  But the Bears were convinced enough by something to give up their 4th round pick.  The case of Doug Martin may have been due to Mike Sullivan joining Tampa before the draft and spilling the beans. 

Telegraphing may be as basic as the GM as tracking the GMs visits.  It was well documented that Reese only attends a hand full of pro days, and last year that included Floyds, the year before was Flowers.  It is not unreasonable to expect the Giants realized that gives other teams a clear indication of who the team is targeting, and this year they decided to throw everyone off the scent by feigning interest in another player.

UKGiantsFan

Quote from: MP21WAYS2PAY on March 28, 2017, 06:37:02 AM
CO, somehow I missed your post and Bob's respose and wrote the same thing.  We must share the same conspiratorial mindset.

Giants take Apple at 10

Giants pick Pugh at 19

The clearest example here is the Bears, who were at 11, and moved up to 9.  The only reason for them to move up was to get in front of the Giants, therefore, they knew the Giants would select Floyd.  Did they know that because Jerry Reese was drooling on his shoes at Floyds pro day?  I don't know.  But the Bears were convinced enough by something to give up their 4th round pick.  The case of Doug Martin may have been due to Mike Sullivan joining Tampa before the draft and spilling the beans. 

Telegraphing may be as basic as the GM as tracking the GMs visits.  It was well documented that Reese only attends a hand full of pro days, and last year that included Floyds, the year before was Flowers.  It is not unreasonable to expect the Giants realized that gives other teams a clear indication of who the team is targeting, and this year they decided to throw everyone off the scent by feigning interest in another player.

I'm partially in agreement but feel the higher we pick the harder it is to mask our intentions - after all, picking 10th a good guess as to at least 7-8 off the board could be had and some positions we had no needs at thrown out of the remaining equation leaving 2 + 2 = 4 and a bulls-eye drawn around our top targets at positions of priority need. Everyone knew, not just a few of the NFL teams picking after us! It's once both were taken that most draft prognasticators screwed up. I can't remember which but one of Reese/Ross was at Ohio State but not at Florida. We weren't taking VHIII - too short, bottom end of the minimum speed filter for the position, too polished - but people assumed we were looking at someone other than Apple at Ohio State!

This year picking lower it should be harder to pinpoint our interest, though the fact we have fewer priority needs makes it easier to narrow the field by position. Even then with so many channels (NFL .com, NFL Network, various TV personalities and lots of independent websites/writers doing their own mocks) it is virtually impossible for someone not to have already correctly predicted who we will be selecting in the 1st round. Off-hand over the past two months I can think of 4 different OL's, 2 DE's, 2 TE's, a DT and an RB we've been 'linked to'...  and they're all good players (though some don't 'fit' with us)

The presence of Reese travelling around the South at various BBQ stops whilst Ross pops up here there and everywhere is likely to be by design to create subterfuge as to who we are strongly considering for the first pick. I don't think we'd be that obvious again and it may be a case of where they don't go rather than where they do that pinpoints our top 3-4 realistic targets. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks!

What I found interesting is that this year some of the position Coaches have been spotted out there too - Patrick Graham was at Michigan for instance - and there may well have been others in attendance elsewhere, just that people don't necessarily know what they look like so their attendance has gone under the media radar. This time last year they were all hard at work on playbooks and none attended any Pro Days. With a larger number of good players who could realistically end up as our top pick and many Pro Days on the same day we're now getting more 'sighters' in.

NB: I'm not so sure we would have taken Doug Martin. The Giants practically wet themselves in trying to trade up (unsuccessfully) for CJ Spiller the previous year and were infatuated with Wilson for the same reasons. They were clearly wrong on both counts which is why I don't think they will be that interested in taking McCaffrey in the 1st round this year even though I think he's better than either ever looked like they'd be...

LarryD

Good point. It be interesting to know of the last 10 first round picks how many were players which Reese had visits with.

todge

Giants take Apple at 10

Giants pick Pugh at 19

What the Giants do is no different than what any other team does. Teams know what players the Giants are interested in as any junior GM can figure that out. There is no mystery to team's weaknesses and players they would be interested in to fill those gaps.

Do you really think that JR flew to Vanderbilt to create a "smokescreen"? Quite the stretch ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

todge

Quote from: LarryD on March 28, 2017, 07:55:48 AM
Good point. It be interesting to know of the last 10 first round picks how many were players which Reese had visits with.

Amukamara stated that he never heard or met with anyone from the Giants. So in that case, the team didn't bother with extensive due diligence because they thought he would be a Top 10 pick.

In another regime - Phillips also stated he never heard from the Giants either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jerseyguy

if the Giants really do draft BPA then its impossible to predict anything accurately, sports writers are just doing their jobs by writing things that grab fans interest and accuracy is secondary ...

RoadtoGlory

Gleaning all the clues up until this point my guess at the top 5:

1.Mahomes
2.Cunningham
3.Bolles
4.McCaffery
5.Robinson
"He who knew no sin became sin so we could become the righteousness of God"  ---https://www.gotquestions.org/how-can-I-be-saved.html

4thand17

Telegraphing?
Didn't we all know the Giants needed tackles last year. If we know it, the other teams know it too.

When the tackles were gone, didn't we know we needed someone to cover the tight end (which had been killing us for years.) The other team know these things - they play us.

jerseyguy

Quote from: 4thand17 on March 29, 2017, 03:48:49 PM
Telegraphing?
Didn't we all know the Giants needed tackles last year. If we know it, the other teams know it too.

When the tackles were gone, didn't we know we needed someone to cover the tight end (which had been killing us for years.) The other team know these things - they play us.
so are you saying that other teams would draft just to stop us?  just asking...