News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Offensive and Defensive Prospects who fit the Giants Paradigm in Rounds 1 and 2

Started by RoadtoGlory, March 28, 2017, 05:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoadtoGlory

OFFENSE:
---------------
QB:

Mahomes: if Mahomes is there at 23, he might be the Trump card. I think the Giants and MacAdoo see a liitle Aaron Rogers at Cal in him. And MacAdoo could be smitten

RB:

Christian McCaffery: Absolute do it all RB. On the high end he could be Marshall Faulk/Leveon Bell type which would do wonders for the offense that MacAdoo is trying to run. Only RB in my opinion worth our #1 pick that has a chance to make it to 23. Interesting to see what they do if he is there at 23 (even with Vareen still on the team).

WR:

Zay Jones: When all is said and done I think he could end up being the best WR in this entire draft. Thats how good I think this kid is. He was the MVP of the entire Senior bowl. He had 6 catches 68 yards and 1TD with another 2 big catches called back that would have put him over 100 yards and 2TDs and that's not playing the entire game either. Amazing hands ,decent size (6'2), and good route runner (who can get even better in this area). A ridiculous 158 catches last year. Because this is not necessarily a high need this is the only WR I'd consider at 23 especially with the value elsewhere.

Cooper Kupp: This kid is not far behind Zay for my next favorite receiver. If there is one thing Reese puts an emphasis on with receivers he drafts it's elite route running ability. And he has been extremely successful in the top 2 rounds with this philosophy (OBJ, Nicks, Steve Smith,Sterling Shephard). Cooper looked nearly uncoverable in the Senior Bowl and is just so good at gaining quick separation which is essential in the offense we run. I don't think he'd be in consideration at 23, but I would be all over him in round 2.

TE:
------

OJ Howard: A 2 way monster at the position who also flashed at the senior bowl. Day 1 starter at the position and could have a Shockey like impact. Shockey was excellent in Fassel's system.

Njoku: A little more raw but just as much upside.

OT:
--------

*I write OT and not OG/OL because I think this team is pretty stocked at OG compared to OT. Unless Flowers takes a quantum leap next year at LT this position could be the biggest weakness on the team.

Garret Bolles: Unfortunately in this draft there is only one guy in my opinion who has elite LT ability who isn't a long term project. He has a nasty demeanor and tested off the charts in the combine. Excellent ,excellent feet as seen on tape and a 7.3 3-cone (Giants value 3 cone highly for certain positions like LT,WR,DE) . 4.95 40 at 295 lbs is also excellent. He still needs better functional strenght but a year in an NFl strenght and conditioning program should do wonders. He could still likely start day 1 at LT and be better than anything we have right now and allow the 3 of Jerry,Fluker and Flowers to battle it out for RG,RT.

DEFENSE:
----------------

Pass rush:
---------------
Malik McDowell: if the supposed character issues check out, he could be a steal at 23. Was pretty much the entire Dline for Mich St. playing up and down the line and looking at times absolutely unblockable. Constantly doubled and even triple teamed and still made many plays. Technique was a little sloppy but could be due to playing all over the line. Another freak size/speed guy 6'6, 290,4.85 40, long arms ,angular, quick twitch but still stout at POA. Basically could be all what we wanted Chris Canty to be when he signed on here. Would potentially be incredible with Snacks next to him occupying double teams and freeing him up to just beat a single blocker on the way to destroying the QB.

Derek Rivers: 6
"He who knew no sin became sin so we could become the righteousness of God"  ---https://www.gotquestions.org/how-can-I-be-saved.html

MightyGiants

Very good list and I agree with much of it.

I will say I would be very surprised in the Giants take a WR in day one or day two

I will also add that while the interior of the offensive line may be stacked now, it's possible the team is unable to hold on to both Pugh and Richburg (which makes drafting someone like Lamp attractive).   Mara admits the salary cap next season will be tighter for the team.

Obi Melifonwu is an interesting thought.  Although the Giants seem pretty good at safety.  Perhaps the team could project him to LB.

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

RoadtoGlory

Quote from: MightyGiants on March 28, 2017, 05:15:55 PM
Very good list and I agree with much of it.

I will say I would be very surprised in the Giants take a WR in day one or day two

I will also add that while the interior of the offensive line may be stacked now, it's possible the team is unable to hold on to both Pugh and Richburg (which makes drafting someone like Lamp attractive).   Mara admits the salary cap next season will be tighter for the team.

Obi Melifonwu is an interesting thought.  Although the Giants seem pretty good at safety.  Perhaps the team could project him to LB.
Thanks Mighty. Agree on WR , I just love those two as the really pop on tape and are pretty good to excellent route runners which is one of the top criteria for Reese in evaluating a wide out.

Obi could be a Kam Chancellor or hybrid type. He could even be an interesting deep third guy. The ultra creative Spags could move him all over the place in different packages.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

"He who knew no sin became sin so we could become the righteousness of God"  ---https://www.gotquestions.org/how-can-I-be-saved.html

beaugestus

UKGiantsFan

Welcome!

Like your list - have many of them on my own - but anything other than 'clean' takes a player off the Giants list in the 1st round.

The last player the Giants took with 'football character' questions was Damontre Moore and he was a massive disappointment. Can't see the uber talented McDowell on our shortlist for that reason. This is the guy who told the assembled media at the Combine that his coaches took a while to adjust to him and whose effort wained as the losses mounted!

We have reverted to hitting for the cycle 'size, athletic ability production and upside'. No need to take chances on athletic traits over football skills or ignoring obvious injury or OTF issues when we're so close to putting a Championship team on the field once again.

Ramczyk and Bolles are less clear cut. Bolles sounds like his life has done a 180 degree spin. Ramczyk I have less of a feel for. We'll doubtless invite them in before a decision is made on them.

RoadtoGlory

Thanks UK. You are absolutely right about the clean prospect. Perhaps the flags are too big with him. Pity because he could be the most talented guy outside of Garret.

Bolles ran a 4.95, 7.26 3-cone and a 4.55 shuttle. 6'5, 34 inch arms. Love this guys agility numbers. He has elite LT potential.Not sure what to think of Ramczyk either with the injury and no agility numbers though the tape is very promising for a guy with limited experience at the position. Next guy with top LT potential would be Davenport IMO but hes more developmental. Im not totally sold on Garcia but he might be a decent one with LT ability as well.

Bob In PA

Hi Road: Nice post, nice picks. 

I have a difficult question to ask:

If all of the players you mentioned were all available at pick 23, which one would you take for the Giants, considering overall ability (of course) plus best fit for the team?

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

RoadtoGlory

Bob
Great question. I'll try to surmise my thinking and then what I could see Giants doing:

Though I love those 2 WRs , I dont think we should take one there at 23. I believe as Reese says you match value with need. The eexception really would be if they were glaring BPA but if ALL the guys on the list were available they would not be. And its not a huge need if we expect continued growth from Shephard and Marshall to be kind of like fine wine like Larry Fitzgerald has been.

The biggest need by far IMO is an OT with elite LT potential. And not just any mammoth tackle with long arms but questionable short area quickness, feet and technique like Cam Robinson. We have tended to fall in love with those types. I want one with the rare measurables and triangle numbers. Thats Bolles and no one else. He has comparable numbers to Clady, Tyron Smith (though not his sheer size/strength), Solder. Yes he has to add functional strength but he plays with a mean streak and I beleive if Floweres keeps floundering at LT. He could be an improvement over him by midseason.

Malik McDowell is an absolute stud talent wise and if the brain-motivation factor check out he would be a wreaking ball you could line up anywhere one the DL. He could take our DL from excellent but questionable depth to ferocious with better depth. Problem is as UK alluded to he is not a clean player and I think the character flags may be too risky. The others are tempting but I belive we the incredible depth at this position we can get a very high caliber DE in round 2 or maybe 3.

Ive heard some people say that the Giants may see a little Aaron Rogers at Cal in Mahomes . And honestly I could see MacAdoo wanting to stamp his legacy on this team with his own QB handpicked for the offense he wants to run. Eli was handpicked by TC because of the highly cerebral and complex streak read based offense he wanted to run which Kurt warner even struggled with. The modified WCO if you will, that Ben runs does not require a 'chess-master' brain child at Qb to run. If Mahomes is there Im not syaing Id take him but I believe the giants would.

For me it would come down to Cunningham,Bolles ,McAffery, Obi.

Though their overall grades are similar in my book, I think the order would be:

Bolles
Cunningham
Obi
McAffery

Based on the need/impact for the team next year and beyond.

Bob In PA

Quote from: RoadtoGlory on March 29, 2017, 10:42:50 AM

For me it would come down to Cunningham,Bolles ,McAffery, Obi.

Though their overall grades are similar in my book, I think the order would be:

Bolles
Cunningham
Obi
McAffery

Based on the need/impact for the team next year and beyond.

R2G: You've got a lot of good stuff in that answer.  Hope you don't mind, but I'm going to transplant your thoughts about McAdoo and QB's to a separate thread; they should generate a good discussion.

My answer to my question is: McCaffrey (playmaker), Obi (likely playmaker), Howard (bulldozer and possible playmaker) and Cunningham (solid TE coverage and very good blitzer).

Despite the need for an offensive tackle (and/or a bulldozing right guard), I'm not impressed with any of the supposedly top players. IMO, this year, a team like the Giants desperate for OL help has as good a chance to find it in a late round as in the first round (with less cash at risk).  IMO, they should use their 3rd or 4th pick (AND their 5th or 6th pick) and grab the two best offensive linemen still available at those times.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

RoadtoGlory

Bob

Please do! The ideal QB for our offense and MacAdoo stamping his identity on this team would be a great topic for discussion in its own thread.

No reservations with your list or rankings as its a good one. I guess Im just higher on Bolles than you are. I really believe he could be a Staley, Solder type and perhaps be ready to step in by mid year. Hes the only one Id consider at 23. Too much value elsewhere to even think about a Gaurd (and we are pretty good at OG).

As far as OL past round 1. Davenport fits the elite size/agilty/arm length measurables the Giants covet to a T. We also have reported high interest there. I could see him as early as round 2 because potential LTs are drafted higher because of criticality of that position. Garcia also has LT potential but not the elite upside of Davenport. Possibly a rd 2-3  guy as well.

My ultimate concern is if the combo of Fluker,Flowers, Hart dont pan out we may again have the worst tackle combo in the entire NFL. We have plenty of guys already to play  OG (including Fluker and even Flowers). OT is our biggest concern unless you truly believe Flowers takes a quantum leap in year 3.

RoadtoGlory

Quote from: RoadtoGlory on March 28, 2017, 05:04:44 PM
OFFENSE:
---------------
QB:

Mahomes: if Mahomes is there at 23, he might be the Trump card. I think the Giants and MacAdoo see a liitle Aaron Rogers at Cal in him. And MacAdoo could be smitten

RB:

Christian McCaffery: Absolute do it all RB. On the high end he could be Marshall Faulk/Leveon Bell type which would do wonders for the offense that MacAdoo is trying to run. Only RB in my opinion worth our #1 pick that has a chance to make it to 23. Interesting to see what they do if he is there at 23 (even with Vareen still on the team).

WR:

Zay Jones: When all is said and done I think he could end up being the best WR in this entire draft. Thats how good I think this kid is. He was the MVP of the entire Senior bowl. He had 6 catches 68 yards and 1TD with another 2 big catches called back that would have put him over 100 yards and 2TDs and that's not playing the entire game either. Amazing hands ,decent size (6'2), and good route runner (who can get even better in this area). A ridiculous 158 catches last year. Because this is not necessarily a high need this is the only WR I'd consider at 23 especially with the value elsewhere.

Cooper Kupp: This kid is not far behind Zay for my next favorite receiver. If there is one thing Reese puts an emphasis on with receivers he drafts it's elite route running ability. And he has been extremely successful in the top 2 rounds with this philosophy (OBJ, Nicks, Steve Smith,Sterling Shephard). Cooper looked nearly uncoverable in the Senior Bowl and is just so good at gaining quick separation which is essential in the offense we run. I don't think he'd be in consideration at 23, but I would be all over him in round 2.

TE:
------

OJ Howard: A 2 way monster at the position who also flashed at the senior bowl. Day 1 starter at the position and could have a Shockey like impact. Shockey was excellent in Fassel's system.

Njoku: A little more raw but just as much upside.

OT:
--------

*I write OT and not OG/OL because I think this team is pretty stocked at OG compared to OT. Unless Flowers takes a quantum leap next year at LT this position could be the biggest weakness on the team.

Garret Bolles: Unfortunately in this draft there is only one guy in my opinion who has elite LT ability who isn't a long term project. He has a nasty demeanor and tested off the charts in the combine. Excellent ,excellent feet as seen on tape and a 7.3 3-cone (Giants value 3 cone highly for certain positions like LT,WR,DE) . 4.95 40 at 295 lbs is also excellent. He still needs better functional strenght but a year in an NFl strenght and conditioning program should do wonders. He could still likely start day 1 at LT and be better than anything we have right now and allow the 3 of Jerry,Fluker and Flowers to battle it out for RG,RT.

DEFENSE:
----------------

Pass rush:
---------------
Malik McDowell: if the supposed character issues check out, he could be a steal at 23. Was pretty much the entire Dline for Mich St. playing up and down the line and looking at times absolutely unblockable. Constantly doubled and even triple teamed and still made many plays. Technique was a little sloppy but could be due to playing all over the line. Another freak size/speed guy 6'6, 290,4.85 40, long arms ,angular, quick twitch but still stout at POA. Basically could be all what we wanted Chris Canty to be when he signed on here. Would potentially be incredible with Snacks next to him occupying double teams and freeing him up to just beat a single blocker on the way to destroying the QB.

Derek Rivers: 6