Author Topic: Chris Simms says dad Phil was blindsided by CBS hiring Romo  (Read 821 times)

LennG

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 626
  • My Man YA
    • View Profile
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/chris-simms-says-dad-phil-was-blindsided-by-cbs-hiring-romo/ar-BBzuuEi?li=BBnb7Kz

Phil Simms is being replaced by Tony Romo as a member of CBS’s top NFL broadcast duo next season, and apparently he never saw it coming.
While speaking about the situation on his Bleacher Report podcast Thursday, Simms’ son Chris revealed that CBS officials did not inform Phil that they intended to remove him as Jim Nantz’s on-air partner. Instead, Chris was made aware of the impending Romo hire by an NFL insider, and he passed the information along to his father while Phil was on vacation.

Personally, I always enjoyed listening to Phil, but he did get a bit 'tiring' after a while. He never criticized anyone when the need to do so was glaring. And again, for me, to hire a guy right off the street, basically, and make him #1, well-another Cowpuke color man to listen to. What does Jerrah have over the networks, first Aikman and now Romo, EVERY WEEK.   B OOOOOOOOO
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Hadron

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 47
    • View Profile
Re: Chris Simms says dad Phil was blindsided by CBS hiring Romo
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 04:24:25 PM »
Living in Dallas (God help me), the local station both questioned Romo's readiness and floated an idea that I've been wondering myself: is Simms suffering from CTE or related injury? When you start compiling some of Phil's...Philsms in recent years, you have to wonder.

Philosophers

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 104
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2017, 09:50:01 PM »
Simms was one announcer I never really heard anyone complain consistently about which tells me he did a good job.  I was blindsided as well.  It's not like he was being replaced by someone in the business who's a rising star and who has demonstrated it.  Romo is a complete unknown in this area.  Shocking. 

todge

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 177
    • View Profile
Chris Simms says dad Phil was blindsided by CBS hiring Romo
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 10:49:28 PM »
Eventually everyone is replaced. Billy Packer and John  Madden are just two that come to mind. Romo has undergone a lot of refinement and coaching during his development for this job. CBS knows what they are doing as they would never insert someone into such a high profile job if he didn't demonstrate talent for this position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sem

• Mod Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 11:36:24 PM »
Eventually everyone is replaced. Billy Packer and John  Madden are just two that come to mind.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Todge, even though it's another sport I'm still waiting for Dick Vitale to be replaced. He makes watching an ACC game insufferable.

I liked Simms a lot as a QB. Not so much as an announcer.

Jaime

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 176
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 11:59:05 PM »
In this age of instantaneous media and leaks Galore, how could Simms not have an inkling of this happenstance? Redfaced

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 956
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2017, 10:43:33 AM »
Did CBS mistreat Phil Simms by replacing him with Tony Romo without giving him any notice? Phil’s son Chris Simms seems to think so. But Phil Simms knows something about broadcasters changing jobs without any notice — because he did it to ESPN at the outset of his career.

Immediately after he retired from the Giants, Simms was hired as a studio analyst by ESPN. He was shaky and visibly nervous on air at first, but he grew into the role, and ESPN had plans for him. Although he hadn’t signed a contract beyond the 1994 NFL season, ESPN said it had an assurance from Simms’ agent that he would be back at ESPN, unless an opportunity arose for him to return to the NFL as a player.

The next thing ESPN knew, Simms was appearing on NBC, which made the surprise announcement that Simms had been added to its No. 1 broadcasting team for the AFC Sunday afternoon package. Simms had never called a game before, and now he was thrust into the top commentator job for AFC games — sound familiar?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/07/cbs-is-treating-phil-simms-the-way-phil-simms-treated-espn/
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Bob In PA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 294
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 10:54:23 AM »
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/chris-simms-says-dad-phil-was-blindsided-by-cbs-hiring-romo/ar-BBzuuEi?li=BBnb7Kz

Personally, I always enjoyed listening to Phil, but he did get a bit 'tiring' after a while. He never criticized anyone when the need to do so was glaring. And again, for me, to hire a guy right off the street, basically, and make him #1, well-another Cowpuke color man to listen to. What does Jerrah have over the networks, first Aikman and now Romo, EVERY WEEK.   B OOOOOOOOO

Len:  Yeah, Simms got tiring, but no more than the other "color men" (like Collinsworth, uhg!!!).

Aikman's success has nothing to do with Jerry Jones. 

He's a good broadcaster, IMO, who takes his job seriously and makes a minimal number of mistakes.

Bob

Uni

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2017, 11:39:54 AM »
I know a lot of people bag on Collinsworth, but he notices everything going on in the game and gives you some good insights. He is frequently ahead of the refs. Simms was behind the game all the time. He was frequently wrong with his replay analysis, figuring out the flag on the field, and generally not giving you anything you didn't see for yourself. I don't think replacing him with a greenhorn was the best solution, but I can't argue with releasing Simms from the #1 color role.

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 956
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2017, 11:51:29 AM »
I know a lot of people bag on Collinsworth, but he notices everything going on in the game and gives you some good insights. He is frequently ahead of the refs. Simms was behind the game all the time. He was frequently wrong with his replay analysis, figuring out the flag on the field, and generally not giving you anything you didn't see for yourself. I don't think replacing him with a greenhorn was the best solution, but I can't argue with releasing Simms from the #1 color role.

I always found fan reaction to Collingsworth to be a great case study on human/fan nature.   As you said, Chris is outstanding in his observations and prep, yet he has many strong critics.   The reason for this, in my opinion, is he shares both negative and positive observations and stories and that upsets many fans.   If you want to be popular better to tell people what they want to hear rather than what is the truth.
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

COGiantFan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 319
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2017, 12:37:36 PM »
I wonder if I am the only one who thinks Jerry's finger was somehow in the deal.  Retirement was obviously what he wanted Romo to do.  Did he somehow broker a deal to get Tony the #1 broadcasting spot, which was enough to decide him to go the retire route?

I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist

todge

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 177
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2017, 12:41:07 PM »
I wonder if I am the only one who thinks Jerry's finger was somehow in the deal.  Retirement was obviously what he wanted Romo to do.  Did he somehow broker a deal to get Tony the #1 broadcasting spot, which was enough to decide him to go the retire route?

Why would CBS give in to Jerry Jones? Do you really think they would go ahead and make Romo a broadcaster because of pressure from Jerrah?  Romo was being groomed for a broadcast career over a year ago, well before retirement was even being considered.

COGiantFan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 319
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 12:57:20 PM »
Why would CBS give in to Jerry Jones? Do you really think they would go ahead and make Romo a broadcaster because of pressure from Jerrah?  Romo was being groomed for a broadcast career over a year ago, well before retirement was even being considered.

Jerry is one of the most influential owners and, I believe, has been heavily involved with TV negotiations.  So if my theory is correct, CBS would be currying favor, not giving in.

As to Romo's plans to get into broadcasting, sure- but I doubt he was planning on having the second best color slot (#1 NFC spot being the best, IMO) in all of football handed to him on a silver platter.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist

BlueMoshik

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 63
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 10:05:48 PM »
I love Phil Simms. He was my favorite player.

Phil Simms is a terrible broadcaster. Just awful. He doesn't have CTE. He has always been that way. Entirely predictable, never criticizes, sticks with his story line, basically talks 90% of the time about the QB. He makes mistakes, things always happen the opposite of what he says will, and doesn't STOP TALKING FOR EVEN ONE SECOND.

Collinsworth has an annoying voice and he can be smug. BUT his analysis is simply spot-on. The best in the biz as far as I'm concerned.

I never had a problem with Aikman, he does not root for the Cowboys contrary to what many seem to believe, and has good insight into the passing game. He actually seems to have a bit of a soft spot for Eli and the Giants. He has not been a big Romo fan over the years.

Sem

• Mod Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 12:30:37 AM »
Blue, that pretty much sums up my feelings on all three as well.