Author Topic: Chris Simms says dad Phil was blindsided by CBS hiring Romo  (Read 1086 times)

Jaime

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 193
    • View Profile
Re: Chris Simms says dad Phil was blindsided by CBS hiring Romo
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 12:35:25 AM »
Has anybody come across any screen tests of Romo doing his announcing gig? I'd be real curious to see how he cues up? ;)

Painter

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 238
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2017, 12:56:20 AM »
How about the auditions of the plethora of mediocrities? Are we interested in those? Do we have some standard in mind? There is no reason to expect Romo to be any worse than Phil or most of the "analysts" who don't get to do much analyzing lest it be a distraction to the average viewer. When it comes to broadcasts, there has been more hate than love around here; think Buck and Collinsworth. And other than that. can anyone be worse than Dierdorf, or Myers and Ryan,  for me personally, Tirico and Gruden?

Cheers!

kingm56

• Starter
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2017, 04:01:59 AM »
Jerry is one of the most influential owners and, I believe, has been heavily involved with TV negotiations.  So if my theory is correct, CBS would be currying favor, not giving in.

As to Romo's plans to get into broadcasting, sure- but I doubt he was planning on having the second best color slot (#1 NFC spot being the best, IMO) in all of football handed to him on a silver platter.

Funny, over at 'The Ranch' they claim Mara has too much influence over the league; in fact, most directly blame him for the 'favorable' calls the Giants receive.  They also believe he was solely responsible for slapping the Boys with the salary cap fine a few years ago.

Sem

• Mod Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 136
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2017, 10:15:58 AM »
Funny, over at 'The Ranch' they claim Mara has too much influence over the league; in fact, most directly blame him for the 'favorable' calls the Giants receive.  They also believe he was solely responsible for slapping the Boys with the salary cap fine a few years ago.
I've read similar comments by Cowboy fans on other sites as well. But in fairness they may be the same core group occasionally coming up from the cellar for some fresh air.

Painter

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 238
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2017, 11:04:25 AM »
The local media doesn't share that notion. They often make reference to just how influential Jerrah has become within the League. The latest example is his lobbying to have the NFL Draft held in Frisco which is not in California but just north of Dallas. That's where he has built The Star, his 91 acre Cowboys World Headquarters, and training facility

The Maras would have nothing to with that sort of egocentric opulence and money grubbing. True, they are highly respected around the League for their dignity and class and for the fact that they were almost singularly responsible for revenue sharing. It is for that reason and length ownership that they have been described as Patriarchs and a stabilizing force of the NFL.

Of course, the denizens of the fetid swamp know as The Ranch wouldn't know or care anything about that. Poor Cowchips, they are such victims.

Come to think of it, I suppose The Ranch will have to change it's name to The Star as it has now become an anachronism. That would at least restore its original derivation although it wouldn't improve its aroma.

And for all of that, I always have wondered why any Giants fan would chose to wade through that slop.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 01:17:19 PM by Painter »

COGiantFan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 359
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2017, 11:27:02 AM »

And they think Troy is biased against the cowboys when he does their games.  The Ranch is a great venue for entertainment - not so much for rationality.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist

LennG

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 493
  • My Man YA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2017, 11:35:15 AM »
I used to hate Collings-un-worth. I think just about everyone thought he was so anti Giants, but now, I really like him. Maybe it's because of the way he gushed (and still does) over OBJ's mind boggling catch, but I enjoy listening to him. He compliments and criticizes when the time is appropriate and he does his homework, something that can't be said for many others. They just show up.

And, personally, I like listening to Gruden. I do believe he falls into the category of just showing up and thinking he can do it all, but to me, he is a sort of breathe of fresh air instead of just hearing XXX'x and OOO's. Maybe he is a John Madden wannabee, but he makes me smile and that is a good thing.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

COGiantFan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 359
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2017, 11:42:16 AM »
Last November I saw a game while in France.  It was in french, of which I only enough to ask pardon when I use my French.

Even though it was in French, I learned more about line play from his telestrator notations on the replays than 40+years watching American commentators.  It was like watching a French Al Derogatis (so?).
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist

Philosophers

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 137
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2017, 01:03:21 PM »
Bonnie Bernstein had a great reply to this hiring when she pointed out two key things.  First, guys like Simms, Gruden, Aikman didn't immediately go to the #1 spot as they were either on lower ranked announcing teams or they joined three person booths in which another analyst was the lead and they were allowed to enter the conversationa/analytical flow more softly.  In Gruden's case, he had Jaws to do the primary analysis and he interjected much less but grew as he gained experience.  Same with Aikman.

In Romo's case, he will have none of that and will be counted immediately to be the lead guy in the lead game. 

jerseyguy

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2017, 04:26:07 PM »
not to be confused with my absolute dislike for the Cowboys but I have always liked Romo and thought he was a decent guy who played well for his team. I also think the sports public will take to Romo as an analyst because his quiet personality and knowledge of the game as a player...

Jaime

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2017, 06:08:18 PM »
Phil, exactly my reason 4 wanting to get a peek at Romo. He'll have no warm up time, he's going to be thrown into the deep end immediately.
Did Simms's quality of broadcast  fall off that sharply, or did Romo hit it out of the park in the interviewing process? Or was it a bit of both? :-??

Messiah717

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 132
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2017, 06:28:06 PM »
How often do you get the chance at getting a 35 year old QB in the booth that if his health cooperated could still be playing?  I think that's a big part of it.  You're plucking a guy right out of the current game and getting a chance for him to give his views in the booth on what's happening on the field.   

Jaime

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2017, 09:02:39 PM »
Yo comprendo. Similar to the attraction of Gruden, whom could be a coach tomorrow if he chose to, being in the booth broadcasting. :yes:

Hadron

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2017, 02:01:32 AM »
While not entirely similar to Romo, Tiki and Strahan both seemed to hit "prime" roles right after retirement. Of course, some people are just "right" for the role. Others flame out. Only time will tell with Romo.

Philosophers

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 137
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2017, 08:31:18 AM »
Honestly, I think it just speaks of desperation of a network trying to turn around the declining trend of TV viewing of NFL games. The data last season was clear that viewership is declining.