News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Anyone up for trading up for OJ Howard?

Started by MP21WAYS2PAY, April 13, 2017, 10:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MP21WAYS2PAY

If OJ makes it down to 10 at Buffalo that could be a spot to trade up for him.  Probably we would be looking at our 1st and 2nd round pick this year and next years 3rd rounder.  OJ Howard looks like one of the elite offensive players of this draft, and the best TE prospect since Tony Gonzalez.  An elite TE would help Eli as he gets older as a reliable short/intermediate range target, and should be a dominant red zone threat.  It is pricey move, but possibly a low risk one, and could be the type of all in move that puts in the super bowl.  I doubt there is anyway Tennessee passes on him at 5, but if he drops a bit, it sure is tempting.

MightyGiants

Quote from: MP21WAYS2PAY on April 13, 2017, 10:49:57 AM
If OJ makes it down to 10 at Buffalo that could be a spot to trade up for him.  Probably we would be looking at our 1st and 2nd round pick this year and next years 3rd rounder.  OJ Howard looks like one of the elite offensive players of this draft, and the best TE prospect since Tony Gonzalez.  An elite TE would help Eli as he gets older as a reliable short/intermediate range target, and should be a dominant red zone threat.  It is pricey move, but possibly a low risk one, and could be the type of all in move that puts in the super bowl.  I doubt there is anyway Tennessee passes on him at 5, but if he drops a bit, it sure is tempting.

I looked at the draft value chart.  The 10th pick is worth 1300 points.   The Giants 23rd pick is worth 760 points.    The Giants 55th pick is worth 350 points.   The Giants 3rd rounder this season (which is worth more than a pick next year) is worth 155 points.  So adding up all three picks you only get 1265 points.   The Bills would have little incentive to trade down in that scenario and even less inclined with the 3rd rounder being from next year's draft.

Here's one of the draft trading charts

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/draft/draft-trade-chart/

To answer the original question, assuming the Bills would take our 1, 2 and 3 picks for their first rounder-  No I wouldn't ...  I think the team can have a greater impact drafting 3 players in the first 3 rounds. 
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

UKGiantsFan

Too rich at #10 for my blood. According to the NFL Draft Trade Value chart we could get up to #14 for our 2nd round pick. Or up to #18 for our 3rd round pick.

Not too keen on losing our 2nd but I'd consider it. Giving up our 3rd? I'd snap someone's arm off pulling that trade so quick!

Hadron

For a TE? No.

For a higher impact position (in a better year with better premium position players) such a QB, LT or elite DE/CB? Probably yes.

uconnjack8

Too many other TE's to be had in the 2nd and 3rd round to trade up IMHO.

Bob In PA

Quote from: MP21WAYS2PAY on April 13, 2017, 10:49:57 AM

MP: I will assume the Giants believe Howard is a potentially great TE (not just a very good one) and they believe he makes the difference between a potential Super Bowl team and a team like last year.

Even in that scenario, I think trading up from 23 to 10 (your example) is too far to move.

My plan would be to hope he falls to 15, which would allow me to offer my 2nd-round pick this year to move up.  That is the very most I would do. I don't see Tony Gonzalez, but I see a top-notch starter.

Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

bamagiantfan

I've seen a lot of Howard so let me just put this out there. He wasn't the favorite target for any QB at Alabama, ever. Would you want to spend a 1st Round pick, and another pick to trade up for a guy that should be great someday? 11 TEs had more yards than he had last season. 13 had more receptions. Does that sound like a 1st round pick to you?

Give me the guy who is great now.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Philosophers

Now that is really good insight.  Wonder if any team has spoken to Lane about it in their evaluation of Howard.

MP21WAYS2PAY

I don't disagree on your takes, its a pricey venture.  It could prove to be a Julio Jones type trade though, expensive but worth every penny. 

Quote from: bamagiantfan on April 13, 2017, 12:16:54 PM
I've seen a lot of Howard so let me just put this out there. He wasn't the favorite target for any QB at Alabama, ever. Would you want to spend a 1st Round pick, and another pick to trade up for a guy that should be great someday? 11 TEs had more yards than he had last season. 13 had more receptions. Does that sound like a 1st round pick to you?

Its a good point, do you think his production was due to limited ability, not system?  He has to be one of the most freakish athletes ever at the position.

MightyGiants

Quote from: MP21WAYS2PAY on April 13, 2017, 12:30:48 PM
I don't disagree on your takes, its a pricey venture.  It could prove to be a Julio Jones type trade though, expensive but worth every penny. 

Its a good point, do you think his production was due to limited ability, not system?  He has to be one of the most freakish athletes ever at the position.

Adrien Robinson was a freakishly athletic TE who Reese mistakenly thought was the victim of a TE unfriendly system.....
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Cid in Dupont

Quote from: bamagiantfan on April 13, 2017, 12:16:54 PM

Give me the guy who is great now.

I too watch SEC football alot, (Arkansas fan) & I'm in the same camp with Bama on this.  He is a class guy, on a perrenial National championship team, but not worth the trade up unless it is for our 3rd or less.  I'd sooner pick up Kittle or Culkin on the 3rd day before doing this.

We have too many OL holes to fill, and other pressing needs that are higher IMHO...DL, CB, RB, LB & QB.  If we're going to make a run at the title, which is going to be harder than last year.

Howard, wouldn't put us over the top IMHO.

Cid
Even a fool when he holds his peace is considered wise; when he closes his lips he is esteemed a man of understanding.

bamagiantfan

Quote from: MP21WAYS2PAY on April 13, 2017, 12:30:48 PM

His production was inflated due to the system, in my opinion. Hurts was a young QB. His designed throws were primarily to big targets, in the 15 yard area, or roll outs on double moves.

OJ Howard is a good player and could be an all-pro in the right system. I simply don't see the Giants drafting him or any other TE in Round 1 to be the 4th option for the next two seasons, if he can get on the field.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Philosophers

You're rolling Bama as you are right that he is probably a 4th or at best 3rd option.  Why trade up and lose a pick for that? 

jerseyguy

three picks is way too high for a player who may or may not work out.

todge

I agree.  Besides there is no chance the Giants sacrifice their Draft for a luxury position like another TE.