Poll

With ten days left, can we predict who the Giants will take?

T Garrett Bolles
4 (6.7%)
OLB Tyus Bowser
1 (1.7%)
DE Taco Charlton
5 (8.3%)
ILB/OLB Jarrad Davis
6 (10%)
TE OJ Howard
1 (1.7%)
RB Christian McCaffrey
4 (6.7%)
TE David Njuko
8 (13.3%)
T Ryan Ramczyk
9 (15%)
ILB/OLB Haason Reddick
1 (1.7%)
T Cam Robinson
9 (15%)
Someone else (name them in your response)
12 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Voting closed: Today at 08:03:56 AM

Author Topic: Ten days until the draft. So who is our 1st round pick?  (Read 1474 times)

UKGiantsFan

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 209
    • View Profile
Ten days until the draft. So who is our 1st round pick?
« on: April 18, 2017, 08:03:56 AM »
List in alphabetical order of surname

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 976
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
Re: Ten days until the draft. So who is our 1st round pick?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 08:05:48 AM »
Somehow Dion Dawkins got left off your list   :suspious:

I don't care what the draft community says, I like him and I think he will be a very good offensive lineman for the Giants who has great versitility
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

UKGiantsFan

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 209
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 08:23:59 AM »
Somehow Dion Dawkins got left off your list   :suspious:

I don't care what the draft community says, I like him and I think he will be a very good offensive lineman for the Giants who has great versitility

:laugh:

I like him too Rich, but he's not on my 1st round wish-list any more than my own OL favourite Taylor Moton is. As soon as the 1st round is over I'll do a similar poll for the second round and provided he's still available you'll see him listed on that!

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 08:30:30 AM »
My thoughts on these selections:

T Garrett Bolles

Why we want him-  He has very good foot movement skills and a nasty on-field attitude.    Could be a good backside pass protector manning the LT position. 

Why we don't-  Will be a 24 year old rookie.   Still has major strength issues (he said his pec was strained so he didn't bench) which is a major red flag when you're an older player.   Has issues with players crossing his face and had 17 penalties in his single season of top end college football.

OLB Tyus Bowser-

Why we like him-  He has nice measurables and there is a belief Jerry Reese likes to have a rush LB type even though the team plays a 4-3 defense.   

Why we don't-  Not a particularly effective pass rusher and only a part time off the ball LB

DE Taco Charlton

Why we like him-  He would be a nice addition to Vernon and JPP sharing many of the same traits.  JPP and Vernon were over worked and adding him would make the NASCAR package go

Why we don't-  After locking up JPP and Vernon long term for big money how do you justify a first round pick on another DE?

ILB/OLB Jarrad Davis-

Why we like him-  A really great off the ball LB who could play Will and Mike positions.   Really athletic and great in coverage

Why we don't-  He is an injury waiting to happen.   Has a poor injury history and struggles to stay on field

TE OJ Howard

Why we like him-  All round great TE

Why we don't-  He will be drafted by another team long before the Giants pick

RB Christian McCaffrey

We we like him-  A small versatile playmaker who can run the ball, play slot and be a return guy.  Tiki Barber with more versatility

Why we don't-  With the exception of returner the Giants already have Perkins and Sheppard who can do what Christian can do

TE David Njuko

Why we like him-  He is an athletic freak who would add a real receiving threat from the TE position

Why we don't-  More potential than production and may not develop into the blocker the Giants like to see in their TEs

T Ryan Ramczyk-  

Why we like him-  Solid LT prospect who could be an instant upgrade over Flowers

Why we don't-  One year wonder, real questions about passion for the game and he hurt his hip requiring surgery after only one season at the top college level

ILB/OLB Haason Reddick

Why we like him-  Very athletic and productive undersized DE who is projected to be a 3-4 rush LB

Why we don't-  Best suited to the 3-4 rush LB role and has no pass coverage experience

T Cam Robinson

Why we like him-  He could be what the Giants hoped they were getting when they drafted Flowers

Why we don't-  He could be what the Giants got when they drafted Flowers
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 09:05:04 AM by MightyGiants »
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Bob In PA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 310
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 09:31:52 AM »
Rich: I'm with you. 

I have no idea who the Giants will take but would be willing to bet Dawkins will be there. 

In addition, I would welcome the selection if the Giants made it, because it would mean they see what I think I see.

Bob

Jolly Blue Giant

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 121
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 09:55:00 AM »
I think the poll would overwhelming be O.J. Howard, but everyone feels it's unrealistic that he'll be there at 23 - probably the same reason Leonard Fournette isn't on the list.

As for me - it would be a no brainer to grab Howard if he fell all the way into our laps. We'd be fools to pass him up...unless of course, the Giants know something about him that we don't

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 09:57:31 AM »
I think the poll would overwhelming be O.J. Howard, but everyone feels it's unrealistic that he'll be there at 23 - probably the same reason Leonard Fournette isn't on the list.

As for me - it would be a no brainer to grab Howard if he fell all the way into our laps. We'd be fools to pass him up...unless of course, the Giants know something about him that we don't

Of course, the other question would be-  Why did 20+ other teams pass on him?

JoeP

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 28
  • I wanted to take a knee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 10:42:21 AM »
Of course, the other question would be-  Why did 20+ other teams pass on him?

News Flash! Whatever player we select at #23 will have had 22 teams pass on him.  >:D

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 10:44:10 AM »
News Flash! Whatever player we select at #23 will have had 22 teams pass on him.  >:D

True, and the usual answer is because there were 22 players that were either better or better fits for the teams drafting ahead of the Giants.   With Howard he is such a talented TE and has the versatility to fit in almost any offense that the question takes on a new meaning.

bamagiantfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 211
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2017, 10:50:41 AM »
It is too soon.  ;)

Seriously though, if McCaffrey is there I believe he will be the choice.

If not, then one of the three OT or Lamp may fall and the Giants will naturally pass up that opportunity and draft Malik McDowell to leave us all scratching our heads.  :-??

I'm actually not trying to be cute here. I simply have no clue what the Giants plan to do but something in my gut tells me they will not draft an Offensive Tackle under any circumstances.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 11:03:47 AM by bamagiantfan »
Go Giants!

AP44

• All-Pro
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2017, 11:10:02 AM »
Picking this late tends for me not to get interested on who will/wont be there. Guys slip and there are always guys with 2nd round grades that go in the first. Plus, there will be a ton of trades as well.

Its better to ask what position do you think the Giants will take - and my guess early is that they will go either CB/DE - whoever is highest rated player of the two.

President Rick

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 69
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2017, 11:22:13 AM »
somehow derek barnett, DE, Tennessee slips to #23 and as the BPA, the Giants take him.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

bamagiantfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 211
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 12:18:44 PM »
somehow derek barnett, DE, Tennessee slips to #23 and as the BPA, the Giants take him.

In my opinion, there are only two positions where the Giants would be nuts to take a player in Round 1;
CB - where Janoris Jenkins and Eli Apple are signed thru 2021
DE - where Vernon and JPP are signed thru 2021

So if the Giants were to select Barnett, where and when is he going to play?
Go Giants!

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 12:19:47 PM »

Barnett is an interesting prospect.  He tested poorly at the Combine but he was highly productive at the highest level of competition.

COGiantFan

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 325
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 12:39:57 PM »
In my opinion, there are only two positions where the Giants would be nuts to take a player in Round 1;
CB - where Janoris Jenkins and Eli Apple are signed thru 2021
DE - where Vernon and JPP are signed thru 2021

So if the Giants were to select Barnett, where and when is he going to play?

Rotationally so OV&JPP don't have to play 90%+ of the snaps.  A new NASCAR package.  I'm sure they would find places.  Whether that translates to a 1st round pick?  Who knows?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist