Poll

With ten days left, can we predict who the Giants will take?

T Garrett Bolles
4 (6.7%)
OLB Tyus Bowser
1 (1.7%)
DE Taco Charlton
5 (8.3%)
ILB/OLB Jarrad Davis
6 (10%)
TE OJ Howard
1 (1.7%)
RB Christian McCaffrey
4 (6.7%)
TE David Njuko
8 (13.3%)
T Ryan Ramczyk
9 (15%)
ILB/OLB Haason Reddick
1 (1.7%)
T Cam Robinson
9 (15%)
Someone else (name them in your response)
12 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Voting closed: April 28, 2017, 08:03:56 AM

Author Topic: Ten days until the draft. So who is our 1st round pick?  (Read 2678 times)

Cid in Dupont

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 121
  • Best SB ever!!
    • View Profile
Re: Ten days until the draft. So who is our 1st round pick?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 01:09:31 PM »
I selected "Someone else".  I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm really hoping that Malik McDowell falls to us @ 23.  He'd be almost perfect as our 3 Tech, and with Snacks, JPP, Vernon "inspiring" him I wouldn't be surprised to see him play at an almost "Aaron Donald" level.  He can be that good.

O.K. go ahead and throw the remotes now.  ;)

Cid
Even a fool when he holds his peace is considered wise; when he closes his lips he is esteemed a man of understanding.

bamagiantfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 285
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 01:25:13 PM »
I selected "Someone else".  I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm really hoping that Malik McDowell falls to us @ 23.  He'd be almost perfect as our 3 Tech, and with Snacks, JPP, Vernon "inspiring" him I wouldn't be surprised to see him play at an almost "Aaron Donald" level.  He can be that good.

Cid

I won't throw the remote. DT is one of our top needs and McDowell is one of the top options.
Go Giants!

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 1175
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 01:33:45 PM »

Cid

Cid,

While nothing is certain in the NFL draft, I think McDowell being there for the Giants at 23 could be as close as one comes to it.   From what I have been hearing it wouldn't be surprising if he drops to the second round.
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

AP44

• All-Pro
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 90
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 01:38:52 PM »
In my opinion, there are only two positions where the Giants would be nuts to take a player in Round 1;
CB - where Janoris Jenkins and Eli Apple are signed thru 2021
DE - where Vernon and JPP are signed thru 2021

So if the Giants were to select Barnett, where and when is he going to play?

I disagree with this 100x over.

First, corners and DEs you use the saying - you can never have enough. Yes, they have OV and JPP - however I think in 2007 and 2011 we had THREE awesome DEs to make the other offenses cringe. JPP and OV played over 90% of the snaps last year. That is something you need to consider as well. Plus, JPP is always hurt. OV played hurt last year. You need 3 DEs in todays game.

Corners are even more important. Remember when DRC got hurt and we stumbled Wade out there against GB in the playoffs.... so does Aaron Rodgers and he abused him. DC most likely will be a cap cut after this year a well. So you will need a corner anyways. This draft if LOADED with CBs and DEs.

You dont pass on a better player for a lesser player because you need it. You take the best player (unless you are set at RB and QB) and find a role for them. Our defense is predicated on getting to the QB and shutting down WRs. You cant have too many DEs and CBs. 

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 01:53:45 PM »
Just my opinion, but the only way I see the Giants drafting a DE or CB is if they are clearly a tier above all the other players left on their draft board.   This draft is deep, really deep, in CBs and so they can get another potential starter in later rounds.   The same with DEs there will be some more available day 2 and early day 3 that can provide more pass rush as well.   
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

AP44

• All-Pro
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 02:07:57 PM »
Just my opinion, but the only way I see the Giants drafting a DE or CB is if they are clearly a tier above all the other players left on their draft board.   This draft is deep, really deep, in CBs and so they can get another potential starter in later rounds.   The same with DEs there will be some more available day 2 and early day 3 that can provide more pass rush as well.   

Lets assume the Giants do a 1-100 scale for players.

You have the 23rd pick, would you take the 5th best corner with an 85 rating or lets say the 2nd best RB with a 79 rating or an OL with a 75-76 rating? I dont know about any of you, but give me the better player every time. Now, if at 23 we have two players with basically the same value, you choose need.

The Giants lack depth EVERYWHERE. And remember we were basically healthy last year.

Jolly Blue Giant

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 211
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 02:13:52 PM »
Since we are picking at the back end of the first round at 23, I have to think that a lot of guys listed by various sources as "second round material" will be in discussions and consideration since the Giants will not get a shot at some of those players when they are finally back on the clock at 53. If there is a player rated in the 32 - 50 range that they really, really like - I could see them surprising everyone by grabbing that player they believe fits what they want in a player. Who knows? I guess we'll know next week and then we get to listen to blowhard talking heads spouting off that we took that player "way too early" and "could've had him later" (Osi jumps to mind when the announcers went nuts and called the Giants stupid)

Philosophers

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 155
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2017, 02:25:04 PM »
AP44 - There's a serious flaw in your reasoning in that while you put on a scale (0-100) the prospects you need also to put on a scale the Giants player at the position in which he would be replacing.  For example, if an OLT draft prospect is lowest at a ranking of 75 however, Ereck Flowers' ranking is 40 whereas the other Giants players at other positions are ranked higher (say 70 or more) and their draft position prospects are ranked at 80, then drafting the lower ranked draft prospect might yield the greatest bang as it would be replacing a player on the roster with the lowest ranking thereby making up the greatest gap (75-40) instead of (80-70).

AP44

• All-Pro
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2017, 02:31:33 PM »
AP44 - There's a serious flaw in your reasoning in that while you put on a scale (0-100) the prospects you need also to put on a scale the Giants player at the position in which he would be replacing.  For example, if an OLT draft prospect is lowest at a ranking of 75 however, Ereck Flowers' ranking is 40 whereas the other Giants players at other positions are ranked higher (say 70 or more) and their draft position prospects are ranked at 80, then drafting the lower ranked draft prospect might yield the greatest bang as it would be replacing a player on the roster with the lowest ranking thereby making up the greatest gap (75-40) instead of (80-70).

You're not looking to replace, you are looking to add. The Giants prioritize certain positions. They are WR, DE, and CB. We have depth at WR and zero at the other 2. We need a 3rd DE and and a 4th CB.

RoadtoGlory

• Starter
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2017, 03:44:29 PM »
My thoughts on these selections:

T Cam Robinson

Why we like him-  He could be what the Giants hoped they were getting when they drafted Flowers

Why we don't-  He could be what the Giants got when they drafted Flowers

=))

RoadtoGlory

• Starter
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2017, 03:54:49 PM »
My thoughts on these selections:

T Garrett Bolles

Why we want him-  He has very good foot movement skills and a nasty on-field attitude.    Could be a good backside pass protector manning the LT position. 

Why we don't-  Will be a 24 year old rookie.   Still has major strength issues (he said his pec was strained so he didn't bench) which is a major red flag when you're an older player.   Has issues with players crossing his face and had 17 penalties in his single season of top end college football.

OLB Tyus Bowser-

Why we like him-  He has nice measurables and there is a belief Jerry Reese likes to have a rush LB type even though the team plays a 4-3 defense.   

Why we don't-  Not a particularly effective pass rusher and only a part time off the ball LB

DE Taco Charlton

Why we like him-  He would be a nice addition to Vernon and JPP sharing many of the same traits.  JPP and Vernon were over worked and adding him would make the NASCAR package go

Why we don't-  After locking up JPP and Vernon long term for big money how do you justify a first round pick on another DE?

ILB/OLB Jarrad Davis-

Why we like him-  A really great off the ball LB who could play Will and Mike positions.   Really athletic and great in coverage

Why we don't-  He is an injury waiting to happen.   Has a poor injury history and struggles to stay on field

TE OJ Howard

Why we like him-  All round great TE

Why we don't-  He will be drafted by another team long before the Giants pick

RB Christian McCaffrey

We we like him-  A small versatile playmaker who can run the ball, play slot and be a return guy.  Tiki Barber with more versatility

Why we don't-  With the exception of returner the Giants already have Perkins and Sheppard who can do what Christian can do

TE David Njuko

Why we like him-  He is an athletic freak who would add a real receiving threat from the TE position

Why we don't-  More potential than production and may not develop into the blocker the Giants like to see in their TEs

T Ryan Ramczyk-  

Why we like him-  Solid LT prospect who could be an instant upgrade over Flowers

Why we don't-  One year wonder, real questions about passion for the game and he hurt his hip requiring surgery after only one season at the top college level

ILB/OLB Haason Reddick

Why we like him-  Very athletic and productive undersized DE who is projected to be a 3-4 rush LB

Why we don't-  Best suited to the 3-4 rush LB role and has no pass coverage experience

T Cam Robinson

Why we like him-  He could be what the Giants hoped they were getting when they drafted Flowers

Why we don't-  He could be what the Giants got when they drafted Flowers

My guess on their short list with some comments:

Pat Mahomes- the Qb is the trump card. Oodles of talent and seems to have the 'it' factor.
Cam Robinson- has the size/Arm length Giants love. However his feet don't look good and I don't know if his technique will clean up enough to be an above average LT.
Lamp-Hoping for him as he is a near slam dunk to play as a pro bowl caliber OG and RT. But only want him if they also believe he can play above average LT.
Dawkins- Long Arms and 7.3 3-cone. Sick athlete. If he can play LT he needs to be in play at 23.
Jordan Willis- top freak DE of the draft under Garrett. Slightly lighter than what Giants look for but he will be a rotational guy for passing downs.
TJ Watt- Could be closest 'Floyd clone' this draft with maybe even better pass rush ability.
Tyus Bowser- Another guy for that hybrid LB/DE role. With top notch sack to play ratio\
Cunningham-Reese went to see him. just dont know if he offers pass rush upside which is what type of impact Giants usually want from an LB in round 1.
Cory Davis- too much value if he slips.
OJ Howard- stud two way TE from day 1 without the growing pains of the other guys (NJoku,Sheehan etc.)
McAffery- all purpose Tiki Barber like back. Vision, cutting ability,pass catching like a WR. Hes got it all except superior size.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 10:17:58 PM by RoadtoGlory »

Philosophers

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 155
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2017, 03:54:58 PM »
What is more important, a #4 CB who plays less than 100% of the time a defense is out on the field (and replaces a starting CB when injured) or a starting OLT who plays 100% of the time the offense is on the field?  We need starters first and depth second.

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2017, 04:13:23 PM »
My guess on their short list with some comments:

Pat Mahomes- the Qb is the trump card. Oodles of talent and seems to have the 'it' factor.
Cam Robinson- has the size/Arm length Giants love. However his feet don't look good and I don't know if his technique will clean up enough to be an above average LT.
Lamp-Hoping for him as he is a near slam dunk to play as a pro bowl caliber OG and RT. But only want him if they also believe he can play above average LT.
Jordan Willis- top freak DE of the draft under Garrett. Slightly lighter than what Giants look for but he will be a rotational guy for passing downs.
TJ Watt- Could be closest 'Floyd clone' this draft with maybe even better pass rush ability.
Tyus Bowser- Another guy for that hybrid LB/DE role. With top notch sack to play ratio
Cory Jones- too much value if he slips.
OJ Howard- stud two way TE from day 1 without the growing pains of the other guys (NJoku,Sheehan etc.)
McAffery- all purpose Tiki Barber like back. Vision, cutting ability,pass catching like a WR. Hes got it all except superior size.

Pat Mahomes-  I seriously doubt he will make it to 23
Lamp-  I think his best positions are C and LG and could play LT in a pinch.  I don't think he is big/strong enough to play the right side
Jordan Willis- 23 may be a bit high for him, but you're right he is a special rusher and in the Giants mold
TJ Watt- got to love the blood lines, the question is can he get big enough to play DE
Cory Jones- ???

AP44

• All-Pro
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2017, 04:20:49 PM »
What is more important, a #4 CB who plays less than 100% of the time a defense is out on the field (and replaces a starting CB when injured) or a starting OLT who plays 100% of the time the offense is on the field?  We need starters first and depth second.

So reach for another ereck flowers? Sorry, I'll pass...

Jaime

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 210
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2017, 04:38:53 PM »
Patrick Mahommes all dah way baby!!!  :Chestram: :nanner: :goteam: :dance: