Poll

With ten days left, can we predict who the Giants will take?

T Garrett Bolles
4 (6.7%)
OLB Tyus Bowser
1 (1.7%)
DE Taco Charlton
5 (8.3%)
ILB/OLB Jarrad Davis
6 (10%)
TE OJ Howard
1 (1.7%)
RB Christian McCaffrey
4 (6.7%)
TE David Njuko
8 (13.3%)
T Ryan Ramczyk
9 (15%)
ILB/OLB Haason Reddick
1 (1.7%)
T Cam Robinson
9 (15%)
Someone else (name them in your response)
12 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: April 28, 2017, 08:03:56 AM

Author Topic: Ten days until the draft. So who is our 1st round pick?  (Read 2254 times)

Philosophers

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 137
    • View Profile
Re: Ten days until the draft. So who is our 1st round pick?
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2017, 04:45:33 PM »
Not Flowers as he'd be a 40.  It would be someone rated 70 so presumably better.

RoadtoGlory

• Starter
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2017, 04:49:25 PM »
Pat Mahomes-  I seriously doubt he will make it to 23. You may be right but this is a crazy draft and depends on how developmental other teams think he is. Giants are in the unique situation of don't need a guy next year but can afford to groom for a couple years.
Lamp-  I think his best positions are C and LG and could play LT in a pinch.  I don't think he is big/strong enough to play the right side . Yes this is the question. i want a guy with at least average LT projectibility in case Flowers fails. Lamp may be good enough to play avg LT in case Flowers flops. If he doesnt flop then you have a potential probowl OG.
Jordan Willis- 23 may be a bit high for him, but you're right he is a special rusher and in the Giants mold Lot of pub lately saying he is one of those late risers.
TJ Watt- got to love the blood lines, the question is can he get big enough to play DE- part time on rush downs only with some blitzing from the second level on other downs-Spags is ultra creative . Same deal with Bowser
Cory Jones- ??? Senior moment- Corey Davis!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 04:52:30 PM by RoadtoGlory »

todge

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 233
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2017, 05:56:03 PM »
You're not looking to replace, you are looking to add. The Giants prioritize certain positions. They are WR, DE, and CB. We have depth at WR and zero at the other 2. We need a 3rd DE and and a 4th CB.

I understand your rationale.  However, the Post says "1st Round" pick.  The Giants just finished dumping $200 million into the defense with good results. They are not going to spend a 1st Round pick on:  another CB who will be a nickel/dime at best; and, another DE who will be a rotational player along with Okwara and Odiggy.  In a hard salary cap league, the Giants are not going to sink 1st Round money into either of those positions thus leaving them with a disproportionate amount of money allotted to the defense.

It is conceivable the Giants could spend a mid and late Round pick on either of those positions, but I would put the odds of a 1st Rounder slim and next to none.  Especially considering that the offense stunk up the field last year, not the defense.

Jolly Blue Giant

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 214
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2017, 06:00:06 PM »
Most interesting poll results: Nary a single vote for super-TE OJ Howard or LB Haason Reddick

sooners56

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2017, 06:01:38 PM »
In my opinion, there are only two positions where the Giants would be nuts to take a player in Round 1;
CB - where Janoris Jenkins and Eli Apple are signed thru 2021
DE - where Vernon and JPP are signed thru 2021

So if the Giants were to select Barnett, where and when is he going to play?
With how the game is now and with DRC possibly leaving next year along with the injury history, the Giants could do a lot worse than adding another talented CB in the draft. If you remember how good the Seahawks d was when they were known as the legion of boom, it wasn't their pass rush that was dominating it was their secondary that was. As we seen last year with the Giants D, an elite secondary can transform a defense to elite status even with a lackluster pass rush. So imo if a stud CB or a stud FS was available in Rd 1 I wouldn't be upset if the Giants selected them. Honestly unless Howard, Allen or Fournette are available at pick 23, the bpa may be a secondary player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here's to you and here's to me, and I hope we never disagree. But, if that should ever be, to HELL with you, here's to ME!

todge

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2017, 06:04:32 PM »
Most interesting poll results: Nary a single vote for super-TE OJ Howard or LB Haason Reddick

That is probably because no one expects Howard to fall to #23.  Reddick is a fine prospect, but he does not fit the profile of what the Giants want in their LBs as he is "undersized".

bamagiantfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 265
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2017, 06:06:19 PM »
With how the game is now and with DRC possibly leaving next year along with the injury history, the Giants could do a lot worse than adding another talented CB in the draft. If you remember how good the Seahawks d was when they were known as the legion of boom, it wasn't their pass rush that was dominating it was their secondary that was. As we seen last year with the Giants D, an elite secondary can transform a defense to elite status even with a lackluster pass rush. So imo if a stud CB or a stud FS was available in Rd 1 I wouldn't be upset if the Giants selected them. Honestly unless Howard, Allen or Fournette are available at pick 23, the bpa may be a secondary player.

I see some of you want another Kiwanuka, where we spent 3 seasons trying to figure out how to get him on the field. Not me.
Go Giants!

sooners56

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 25
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2017, 07:33:16 PM »
I see some of you want another Kiwanuka, where we spent 3 seasons trying to figure out how to get him on the field. Not me.
I don't see how adding a top notch CB or FS has any correlation with Kiwi and his situation. Kiwi just wasn't very good which is why the Giants had trouble with him. A top notch CB or FS would be better than a subpar Olineman. Now it is doubtful the top notch CB or FS I speak of will be around at 23 but if they are and the Giants draft one it would be better than drafting an olineman from this draft class.

Here's to you and here's to me, and I hope we never disagree. But, if that should ever be, to HELL with you, here's to ME!

UncannyGfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2017, 09:40:22 PM »
Kiwi was drafted while they had Strahan, Osi, and Tuck which was isn't really comparable to the present situation unless you think Okwara or Odighizuwa can play at a similar or good enough level. 

I think if the Giants do go DE we'd hope for a solid three DE again like both recent superbowl wins.

I'd be equally happy with a starting caliber OL, a top notch pass rusher, or a TE that forces Defenses to change their formations. 

Philosophers

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 137
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2017, 09:43:10 PM »
Everyone not advocating an OL need to remember this post when in October Eli is running forbhis life and we are scoring 10 points a game

todge

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
Ten days until the draft. So who is our 1st round pick?
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2017, 10:10:20 PM »
I cannot believe all the Kiwi bashing going on. "Not very good"?! For a stretch of time, he was the Giants' best overall defender and spent his career here as primarily a starter. Good run stopper, decent pass rusher and was moved to the "joker" role to find a way to keep him on the field. You guys either have bad memories or weren't even around during Kiwi's career here. If he wasn't any good as some of you claim, then why did the Giants continuously resign him? Players who aren't very good, get cut very quickly into their careers.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 10:12:50 PM by todge »

Painter

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 238
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2017, 10:26:27 PM »
So who is our 1st Round pick? Are we answering the question as a prediction or as a preference?  As it would be hard to find any other enterprise of such interest and effort where the prediction of outcomes is so dismally inaccurate, it might be best to avoid the former. In any case, it no doubt would be hedged with an array of ifs, ands, and buts.

On the other hand, preference is a choice, our choice not a guess at someone else's. And it can be reasonable without having to be rational as long as it can be accommodated, and can find its happiness in confirmation bias.

My preferences always arise from need, my perception of it in any case. And in most cases, it involves more than one area of need; two, maybe three which can make the team better where it might otherwise become worse. As long as there are players in those areas of need who I think will meet or exceed value at the Giants slot, I'm comfortable 

I like the list in the poll. Good for need; good for value although LBs and DB are not on my top needs list. And neither would  anyone described as being needed for depth or as rotation. As for picking for the future, I will let the future take care of it self. We can't predict next week much less next year. For me, the future is now.

I have no idea who the Giants will take at 23 but I hope it will be an OLT; Ramczyk if he's there. I really believe that Edge Rushers today are so much quicker and more athletic with more stemming and stunting than in the past that you must have a really quick, very athletic, and very smart player at OLT. I see that in Ramczyk; I don't see it in anyone currently among the Giants Oline.

What troubles me some is the thought that JR is not ready to accept that they need better than Flowers at OLT, and instead focus on replacing Hankins at the 3-TechDT. Still, the more I think of that, the more I imagine Malik McDowell terrorizing opposing QBs to the great benefit of J P-P and OV and all who play behind them. Snuck that one in, huh?  Redfaced

Cheers!

AP44

• All-Pro
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 72
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2017, 10:32:11 PM »
Everyone not advocating an OL need to remember this post when in October Eli is running forbhis life and we are scoring 10 points a game

Much like the QBs in this draft.... these OL are not 1st round worthy. If Robinson, Ramcyzk, or Bolles were a future OLT..... then they would be talked about in the top 10. Robinson is already seen as a guard. Bolles stock is falling and he is older. Ramcyzk is dealing with a major injury and pkayed just 1 year of high level competition.

You are absolutely correct saying we need OL. However, these guys arent the answer. Believe it or not, Lamp maybe the only one I consider in the first, and that is a huge stretch too. Give me as many of the best players as possible and then figure out what to do with them later.

COGiantFan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 359
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2017, 12:47:49 AM »

I think a big part of that is the general expectation that neither will still be there at 23.  The question was framed that way.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist

MP21WAYS2PAY

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 155
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2017, 04:39:38 AM »
If OJ Howard can be got for a 1&3rd, I support trading up.  If not Im on board with Lamp, Jordan Willis or Taylor Moton, in order of preference.