Poll

With ten days left, can we predict who the Giants will take?

T Garrett Bolles
4 (6.7%)
OLB Tyus Bowser
1 (1.7%)
DE Taco Charlton
5 (8.3%)
ILB/OLB Jarrad Davis
6 (10%)
TE OJ Howard
1 (1.7%)
RB Christian McCaffrey
4 (6.7%)
TE David Njuko
8 (13.3%)
T Ryan Ramczyk
9 (15%)
ILB/OLB Haason Reddick
1 (1.7%)
T Cam Robinson
9 (15%)
Someone else (name them in your response)
12 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: April 28, 2017, 08:03:56 AM

Author Topic: Ten days until the draft. So who is our 1st round pick?  (Read 2284 times)

bamagiantfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 265
    • View Profile
Re: Ten days until the draft. So who is our 1st round pick?
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2017, 09:23:51 AM »
Maybe I missed it, but was there any issues with the sample other than the dilution? Are they saying they couldn't tell because it was so diluted?

This may not be much of an issue at all and could explain his upset with a medical technician at the combine. If I knew I was clean and somebody tried to tell me I failed a test because I drank too much water and it could affect the career I've spent years preparing for, I would be upset. I don't think I would go as far as he did but I would be absolutely livid!
Go Giants!

UKGiantsFan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 239
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2017, 10:16:06 AM »
Maybe I missed it, but was there any issues with the sample other than the dilution? Are they saying they couldn't tell because it was so diluted?

This may not be much of an issue at all and could explain his upset with a medical technician at the combine. If I knew I was clean and somebody tried to tell me I failed a test because I drank too much water and it could affect the career I've spent years preparing for, I would be upset. I don't think I would go as far as he did but I would be absolutely livid!

'Bama, I get that you're a Crimson Tide homer but puh-lease!

Foster getting 'out in front' of the failed test when it wasn't even known about by the media smacks of Randy Gregory's attempt to paint his failed test three years ago with an entirely different narrative. You'll recall that Gregory claimed his failed test was from such heavy smoking a few months prior to the Combine that it remained in his system  :jawdrop: And he'd given up and wouldn't ever be smoking weed again =))

Foster doesn't really hit out at all, raging against the machine that will cost him millions and threatening all and sundry with law suits... Rueful indignation that he got caught and his story having more holes than Edam is about as strong as I'd classify his defence.

The medical technician incident happened whilst he waited for X-rays. And he wasn't notified of the failed test until long after he'd been booted out of the Combine for acting like an entitled XXXXX.

NB: I think he's a terrific player - the best LB in this draft and one with a potential All-Pro future - but clearly he's got some 'splaining to do about the way he conducts himself off the field and who he hangs around with.

bamagiantfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2017, 10:22:07 AM »
Just for clarity, in my ignorance after moving to Birmingham I figured I would just refer to myself on this board (actually a previous board at first) as bamagiantfan, not knowing that would immediately make me appear to be a Crimson Tide homer. My wife taught at Auburn and UAB and I have never been a fan of the Tide. In fact, the arrogance of their fans is nearly intolerable.

Therefore, I haven't followed the Foster or Williams stories beyond the fact that I know they screwed up. That's why I asked the question. I'll just Google it next time.
Go Giants!

Bob In PA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 422
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2017, 11:12:18 AM »

bama: The answer to your question... Foster's test was disqualified (technically he did not fail the test... he took the test improperly).  His test was treated as though he "failed" (i.e., as though he had a banned or illegal substance in his system) even though they did NOT find anything.  Why did they do that?  Because that is what the "rule-book" says you do when the player provides a sample that is not "test-able." He had recently drunk so much water that a legitimate test result was not possible using the sample he provided.  It was so "watered-down" that even if there were banned or illegal substances in his system, they were not detectable because they had been overly diluted by water.  That does not mean he had done anything wrong, but it smells really bad. LOL

« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 12:03:02 PM by Bob In PA »

Painter

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 239
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2017, 11:28:08 AM »
For what little it may be worth, this is about as close to consensus as it likely will get given that 14 players have gotten at least one wet finger in the air from the 73 informed sources. But then we can't expect all the Giants' scouts, coaches, coordinators, and front office types to agree on everything. I wonder which ones are getting it straight from Jerry. In any case, I hope it doesn't turn out like the Republican Primary. 

http://www.bigblueview.com/2017/4/21/15379168/nfl-mock-draft-tracker-2017-offensive-tackles-new-york-giants-bolles-ramczyk-njoku-robinson

Cheers!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 11:30:00 AM by Painter »

AP44

• All-Pro
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 73
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2017, 11:30:05 AM »
FWIW, I am hearing Nkjiou and Robinson are off the Giants draft board.

Jolly Blue Giant

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 214
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2017, 11:57:54 AM »
Unless there is an obvious player on the board at 23 (McCaffrey or Howard), I suspect the Giants will surprise all of us with a player we did not expect and maybe hadn't even considered.

UncannyGfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2017, 12:15:15 PM »
Raanan seems to think the pick will be Jarrad Davis, who hasn't generated much discussion on our board.  How would you react to the Davis pick?

If he can perform like Pierce, I would be happy with the selection. 

LB is not the most pressing need for next season and I think team is in a win now mode so a LB in the first round might cause some frustration.  However, if you view the championship window over the next 2 or 3 seasons then I think drafting a LB in the first round is fine.

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 1081
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2017, 12:31:13 PM »
Raanan seems to think the pick will be Jarrad Davis, who hasn't generated much discussion on our board.  How would you react to the Davis pick?

If he can perform like Pierce, I would be happy with the selection. 

LB is not the most pressing need for next season and I think team is in a win now mode so a LB in the first round might cause some frustration.  However, if you view the championship window over the next 2 or 3 seasons then I think drafting a LB in the first round is fine.

The player is a great choice.  He would add a great coverage type LB to match up against all those great TEs coming out and a player that could shadow mobile QBs.  He could be a playmaking in the Jessie Armstead mold (I see him as most likely a WILL LB).

My only concern is his injury history.  My first impressive was it was extensive.  Having done some research I think it's more borderline in terms of being a real injury prone player.
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Jolly Blue Giant

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 214
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2017, 12:44:36 PM »
I know I sound like a broken record, but I really, really want the Giants to focus on offense. Our defense is solid and it is back mostly intact along with the addition of a healthy Darian Thompson. And picking up another LB just means a delay in giving a top LB a chance like BJ Goodson.

Last year, our games were won by the defense. It's time we put some emphasis on the offense to give the defense some rest during a game. I'd much rather win games 28-9 or 24-3, than 10-9, 7-6, 3-0, etc.

Whatever it takes to add more life to the offense should be our focus. I agree that it's a good idea to draft for depth on the defense, but we need more punch in the offense with a RB that compliments Perkins and perhaps a great TE or whatever. That is just my opinion and I am not a professional scout, just an avid fan with too much time on my hands since I retired

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2017, 12:55:12 PM »
I know I sound like a broken record, but I really, really want the Giants to focus on offense. Our defense is solid and it is back mostly intact along with the addition of a healthy Darian Thompson. And picking up another LB just means a delay in giving a top LB a chance like BJ Goodson.

Last year, our games were won by the defense. It's time we put some emphasis on the offense to give the defense some rest during a game. I'd much rather win games 28-9 or 24-3, than 10-9, 7-6, 3-0, etc.

Whatever it takes to add more life to the offense should be our focus. I agree that it's a good idea to draft for depth on the defense, but we need more punch in the offense with a RB that compliments Perkins and perhaps a great TE or whatever. That is just my opinion and I am not a professional scout, just an avid fan with too much time on my hands since I retired

JBG,

There is an interesting debate to be had.  Do you take the good very solid defense and make it elite with a couple of additions or do you try and balance things out and add to the offense?
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Cid in Dupont

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 108
  • Best SB ever!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2017, 02:07:44 PM »
As you know I've been on the Malik McDowell band wagon for a while now.  I would still love to get him.  However, I (unlike most of the folks here) really get a seriously bad feeling in my gut when I read JPP's tweets, messages, etc.

For that reason only, I would change my 1st round pick to Barnett DE from Tennessee or Taco Charlton (my 2nd choice).  I simply don't believe that JPP will be ready for the start of the year, I don't believe he'll play more than 12 games, and I really believe that we need to start rotating more DE's in & out to preserve our great defensive ends.  Barnett & Charlton would allow us to rotate in without dropping off much.

I know that we've just spent a ton of $$$ on OV & JPP, but I think it's time to start protecting our investment...because right now if either of them get hurt...we're in a world of trouble.

IMHO...Cid

Oh and yes..."You can never have too many pass rushers"
Even a fool when he holds his peace is considered wise; when he closes his lips he is esteemed a man of understanding.

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2017, 02:39:57 PM »
Malik McDowell - DL - Spartans
CBS Sports' Rob Rang relays that "multiple scouts" were disappointed in the interviews of Michigan State DL Malik McDowell at the Combine.
We have heard this refrain before. One scout told Rang that McDowell's interviews were "far from ideal," which is relatively tame language compared to the "awful interview" and "worst interview we did" quotes which were rolling in from evaluators after festivities in Indianapolis concluded. Despite his widely-panned interviews, the 6-foot-7, 290-pounder has enough athletic potential that a team could take a leap with him as early as the back-half of Round 1. A Round 2 selection is probably more likely.
Source: CBS Sports Apr 20 - 8:51 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/132996/malik-mcdowell

bamagiantfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2017, 02:41:23 PM »
I've removed my pick for McCaffrey. I simply don't believe he will be there.
Go Giants!

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2017, 02:42:14 PM »
I've removed my pick for McCaffrey. I simply don't believe he will be there.

Everything I have heard is his ceiling is like 5 or 6 and his floor is pick 15