Author Topic: I would be surprised if during the Draft  (Read 324 times)

state_property

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 12
    • View Profile
I would be surprised if during the Draft
« on: April 18, 2017, 09:04:50 PM »
The Giants draft a wide receiver or corner
The Giants don't draft a TE or DE

beaugestus

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 69
    • View Profile
Re: I would be surprised if during the Draft
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2017, 09:44:34 PM »
I agree about WR. CB, due to the depth of the position I think they will even if it is in a lower round. Another factor is DRC's contract expires after this year. TE, I am not so sure due to the signing of Marshall and Ellison. I also think they like last years pick Adams.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 09:46:16 PM by beaugestus »

Bob In PA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 310
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 09:47:31 PM »
state: The Giants need another cornerback. 

They "lost" two during free-agency and so far have only signed one replacement.

So I would be surprised if the Giants did NOT draft a CB (or get at least one un-drafted free agent after the draft is over).

Bob

Jaime

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 176
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 11:06:04 PM »
CB is so deep that you can get a second round talent in the fifth round. Just don't see how we're not going to not capitalize on that kind of depth.
Also, TE is a tad overrated. Plenty of undersized TE pass receivers that struggle in the run game. Just look at how many r under 6' - 4" 250 lbs.
I'd go for a late Rd. DE. :ok:

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 976
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 07:08:52 AM »
The Giants draft a wide receiver or corner
The Giants don't draft a TE or DE

I would actually be surprised if the Giants don't draft a CB.  This is a great CB draft class.   The Giants have 3 good CBs and one of those 3 is very injury prone.   The Giants need another solid CB so when DRC goes to the bench the defense doesn't suffer.  Plus I think this is DRC's last year with the team.
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

bamagiantfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 211
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 08:03:35 AM »
I think they may draft a CB, but don't believe it will be before Saturday.
Go Giants!

President Rick

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 69
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 08:40:29 AM »
we NEED another corner or slot corner.  I have been in favor drafting one all along, two if we find a second guy on the third day.  You need four just to defend some teams on passing downs.  five are vital.  six can be a smart move.  I see us with three plus an untried FA [valentine?] so yes, CB.  Go Giants.
Author of: Potomac, Knightime, Conspiracy of Terror, Rogue State, The Neutrality Imperative, Joey Jupiter - Super Sleuth [childrens books], Vigilance and Virtue, Peaceful Warrior, more.

Jolly Blue Giant

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 121
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 08:58:45 AM »
I can honestly say that nothing will surprise me. Well....if they took a kicker or punter in round 1, yes - that would surprise me. And piss me off to no end.

I expect the Giants to pick a CB to replace mediocre Wade and as a future replacement for DRC. This is a solid CB class, and even though there are 20 - 30 good prospects, only 5 or 6 will be in the upper echelon - the crème de la crème if you will. And if one of those premier CBs are still on the board in the 2nd or 3rd, I can certainly see the Giants grabbing one.

And it would not surprise me at all that the Giants would snag another receiver. This is a talented class of WRs and many of them even have excellent height compared to most drafts where the spattering of top receivers are under 6 feet.

I think fans make the mistake of analyzing and predicting what the Giants will do solely on what we see as "need" picks, which obviously comes into play, but it might not be nearly as persuasive an indicator to the front office staff as we think it is. The FO thinks long term whereas fans tend to think short term.

As an analogy, the Giants are a business. In normal business operations and corporations there are three phases of planning and each phase is the responsibility of different layers of management who are expected to submit their management plan at the beginning of each business year.

The first phase is 1) operational or executional (supervisors submit short term [ie., 6-month to one year] plans on how to correct problems "this year").
Then the second, 2) Tactical (mid-high level managers 1-3 year plans that not only fix problems, but sets course for longer improvement in other areas).
And finally 3) Strategic (CEO and Executive management preparing long term plans which are 5 years and out that will take the company to long term success). Likewise, there are different phases of planning in the military that are not all that different than today's corporations. And never forget, football is a business just as much as it is a sport. The owners aren't playing fantasy football, they are running a business.

In short: fans think at the operational level, coaches think at the tactical level, and the front office thinks at the strategic level. Interpretation: don't be surprised when the Giants take a player that won't fit in the scheme until 2019 or 2020. They don't think like us fans.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 09:42:09 AM by Jolly Blue Giant »

state_property

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 01:47:17 PM »
state: The Giants need another cornerback. 

They "lost" two during free-agency and so far have only signed one replacement.

So I would be surprised if the Giants did NOT draft a CB (or get at least one un-drafted free agent after the draft is over).

Bob

I think they will take a UDFA before drafting one...imho

Bob In PA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 310
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 02:03:42 PM »
I think they will take a UDFA before drafting one...imho

State: That's not far-fetched.  If the draft rolls out a certain way, they could find themselves without a CB... suppose there is a CLEARLY better player available each time they are on the clock... it could happen.  Bob

Jolly Blue Giant

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 121
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 04:50:37 PM »
When you look at the draft value board posted earlier by another poster (but can be seen here if you missed it: http://draftboardguru.com/valuedef/), there are a crazy number of draft worthy CBs

1st rd worthy: 6 CBs
2nd rd worthy: 7 CBs
3rd rd worthy: 6 CBs
4th or 5th rd worthy: 6 CBs
6th or 7th rd worthy: 7 CBs
Priority UDFAs: 7 CBs

That's 39 CBs who are rated as NFL worthy

Not sure it makes much sense to burn an early pick on a CB and if no one has taken Sidney Jones after 2 or 3 rounds, it would be crazy NOT to take a chance on him.

state_property

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 08:00:49 AM »
When you look at the draft value board posted earlier by another poster (but can be seen here if you missed it: http://draftboardguru.com/valuedef/), there are a crazy number of draft worthy CBs

1st rd worthy: 6 CBs
2nd rd worthy: 7 CBs
3rd rd worthy: 6 CBs
4th or 5th rd worthy: 6 CBs
6th or 7th rd worthy: 7 CBs
Priority UDFAs: 7 CBs

That's 39 CBs who are rated as NFL worthy

Not sure it makes much sense to burn an early pick on a CB and if no one has taken Sidney Jones after 2 or 3 rounds, it would be crazy NOT to take a chance on him.

The only reason I say I would be surprised if they draft a corner is because they hve obvious needs at DT, DE and LB.  This draft is way too rich in corners to be drafting one...especially when corner is arguably the richest position in FA in terms of finding one.  you would be more hard pressed to find a functional DT or DE than corner.