Author Topic: Evolving Offense in Green Bay  (Read 254 times)

MP21WAYS2PAY

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 162
    • View Profile
Evolving Offense in Green Bay
« on: April 19, 2017, 12:08:23 PM »
Obviously with McAdoo, our offense is very closley related to what McCarthy is doing in Green Bay.  In a recent article, Aaron Rodgers describes a shift away from '11' personnel 3 Wr/1 TE, to running more  '12' personnel 2 WR/2 TE, and 4-5 WR sets.

Green Bay resigned Lance Kendricks and added Martellus Bennett in free agency for their 12 personnel package.

As it relates to the Giants, Ellison, the TE we signed, could be a key part of introducing multiple formations, including more two TE sets, and help fix some of the predictability we saw on offense.

“I think we saw a shift last year,” Rodgers said, “as we shifted away from really an ‘11’ personnel — three receiver, one tight end, one running back exclusive personnel — to really mixing things up, and Mike did a great job of that, of really evolving the offense and trying to get more people involved as we saw it was going to be important that we didn’t just stick in one personnel group.”

In that regard, the spat of injuries to Lacy and fellow tailbacks James Starks and Don Jackson catalyzed changes that dragged the Packers out of a malaise dating to last season. Their struggles, encapsulated by an offense that ranked 24th in 2015, were often accompanied by the perceived stagnation associated with McCarthy’s cherished "11" personnel.

It stands to reason that the offensive explosion attached to last year’s eight-game winning streak will carry with it certain after effects, primarily the incorporation of additional personnel groupings. The Packers tormented opposing defenses with four- and five-wide receiver sets that placed a premium on Rodgers’ quick release, and it sounds as if the quarterback will lobby for them again this season.

“We got Ty (Montgomery) opportunities, we got Christine (Michael) opportunities, we got Randall (Cobb) opportunities in the backfield, we got Geronimo (Allison) on the field as well,” Rodgers said. “We’re going to be evolving in that manner.”

Among the evolutions, according to Rodgers, will be the reintroduction of “12” personnel, an alignment that features one running back, two tight ends and two wide receivers. It’s something the Packers haven’t utilized much since they paired Jermichael Finley and Andrew Quarless in 2013.

The additions of Bennett and Kendricks, coupled with the incumbent Richard Rodgers, who is entering his fourth season, afford McCarthy an opportunity to play more than one tight end at a time.

“I think we’re going to have a lot more flexibility in that package,” Aaron Rodgers said. “(The) ‘12’ personnel is more of a run-pass balanced personnel and it has been throughout the league and for us the past few years. The opportunity to put two guys on the line of scrimmage and have an opportunity to run right, run left and then run all of our vertical passing game is going to be something that could definitely change and be more difficult to stop.”

Interestig article:
http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/04/18/packers-evolving-offense-intrigues-rodgers/100602842/

Bob In PA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 434
    • View Profile
Re: Evolving Offense in Green Bay
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 12:24:31 PM »
MP:

Clearly, the Packers were very familiar with Ellison and Bennett, both of whom were TE's in their division last year. 

The Packers signed Bennett. 

Hmmm.....

Bob

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 1175
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 12:28:43 PM »
For the Giants to want to run more 2 TE sets one of two things would have to happen:

Adams improves over year one and becomes a solid TE

The Giants draft a TE

I see Ellison as one TE for the Giants.  I am not seeing a scenario where it's worth benching Shepard for Will Tye.
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Jolly Blue Giant

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 211
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 01:21:58 PM »
For the Giants to want to run more 2 TE sets one of two things would have to happen:

Adams improves over year one and becomes a solid TE

The Giants draft a TE

I see Ellison as one TE for the Giants.  I am not seeing a scenario where it's worth benching Shepard for Will Tye.

Agree - not that I don't like Will Tye, it's just that he's not the receiver that Shepard, OBJ, or Marshall is. Now, if we end up having Howard fall in our lap - now you're talking a whole new ballgame.

Tye is a serviceable backup, but is not a game changer by any stretch of the imagination

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 1175
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 01:27:03 PM »
Agree - not that I don't like Will Tye, it's just that he's not the receiver that Shepard, OBJ, or Marshall is. Now, if we end up having Howard fall in our lap - now you're talking a whole new ballgame.

Tye is a serviceable backup, but is not a game changer by any stretch of the imagination

Not only that but Tye is a terrible run blocker so you negate the advantage of having two TEs
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Painter

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 240
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 09:14:02 PM »
I don't expect to see the Giants employing "12" personnel as their base alignment or anything close to it. Rather, I anticipate a lot of "21" with Ellison in the backfield (as lead blocker/ pass protector) and Marshall effectively serving a WR/ TE dual role. That's not to suggest that we wont still see plenty of "11" personnel alignments

With Ellison's versatility not to mention Vereen's, the Giant should have lots of scheme flexibility. Let's hope the Oline performs well in support of whatever personnel groupings are out there.

Cheers!

beaugestus

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 07:29:49 AM »
I am not an Xs and Os guy but I think smart coaches build their schemes around their personnel. In the case of the Gmen not many teams have the quality of WRs that they possess and will take advantage of their abilities. But with the acquisition of a TE or two and/or the development of Adams I can see where they could go in that direction.