Author Topic: What do you hate to see in this draft?  (Read 392 times)

XNYrnLA

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 26
    • View Profile
What do you hate to see in this draft?
« on: April 20, 2017, 01:59:27 AM »
Every year (except somewhat the past couple of years) there has been disappointments. We have our favorites that we would love to see in blue; but there are moves we worry about or hate to see.
Mine:
1- If the Giants again fail to grab a fine OT early, as the need is so obvious
2- If Dallas gets Jabril Peppers, since the kid is so good with leadership and contagious positive attitude
3- If we fail to get a tough and dangerous TE in this draft which is deep at the position, a player who will help both the run and the pass.

What's yours?

Jolly Blue Giant

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 214
    • View Profile
Re: What do you hate to see in this draft?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 09:43:11 AM »
Things that I don't like:

1) the Giants drafting to fill a specific hole in the first round. Example: DT was a big need in the 2003 draft, but the top 5 DTs were off the board when the Giants got on the clock so in desperation they grabbed William Joseph even though it was well known that he was a bit lazy and a big dropoff from the previous ones picked. Meanwhile, players like Boss Bailey, Nick Barnett, Larry Johnson, etc., were still on the board but we were solely focused on filling the DT position.

2) listening to Kiper drone on about how bad the Giants' picks are and his stupid hair

3) I hate, hate, hate that ESPN (and sometimes NFL Network) seem to always cut to an advertisement when the Giants clock is running out and they are about to walk up to the podium to announce their pick. Thankfully, the internet has made it possible to keep up with the picks even though the main TV networks seem to run their advertisements at the exact time the Giants are to announce their pick. I sometimes think that is done on purpose as they know a million people will be glued to the TV set making it a marketing ploy

4) for the most part, I hate that teams use up their entire clock time even though they know exactly who they are going to take. I think if the team knows who they want - get out there and announce the pick

bamagiantfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 265
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 10:50:59 AM »
Hate is a little strong. I would be disappointed to see a CB or DE or drafted in Rounds 1 or 2. I don't care if he makes the Pro-Bowl 5 times, I do not believe it will make the team better in the next two years because other needs, far more pressing needs, will have been ignored in order to select him.
Go Giants!

beaugestus

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 88
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 02:18:20 PM »
I am starting to get the feeling that they are going to take an OT but the earliest will be the second round. IMO, they have to bring in a legitimate prospect that will make the roster and practice with the other regulars and learn and offer some competition in the OL. We don't know how they feel about the name guys or will they be available in the first round.

I hope Dallas takes Peppers. I think I am the only one, but he is not what people make him out to be.

I don't think TE is a priority with them because of the Ellison and Marshall signings and they seem to like Adams. Of course if Howard is available(highly unlikely).

Jolly, EA was the GM in 2003. JR is pretty good with the first picks. TV is the tail that wags the NFL. I think that there are a lot of the draft rooms talking trades we just don't hear about the ones that don't get made.

I think that CB should be drafted this year. Just to take advantage of it's depth. We witnessed what happened in the playoffs when DRC got injured. I understand they will not be able to fill all their needs but they could use a DE to spell JPP and OV. DT will probably be a priority.

Jaime

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 193
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 04:39:45 PM »
I hate watching Goodell act like he's some kind of significant presence in the NFL. This year's draft is being held outside. So maybe a bird will take a dump on his head? =))
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 12:54:45 AM by Jaime »

Cid in Dupont

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 108
  • Best SB ever!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 04:41:07 PM »
I agree "hate" is a strong word.  That said, I would be beside myself and may even throw the remote at the TV if we draft Cam Robinson.

He's Flower's clone & I don't want another Flowers.

IMHO...Cid
Even a fool when he holds his peace is considered wise; when he closes his lips he is esteemed a man of understanding.

XNYrnLA

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 06:57:17 PM »
I agree "hate" is a strong word.  That said, I would be beside myself and may even throw the remote at the TV if we draft Cam Robinson.

He's Flower's clone & I don't want another Flowers.

IMHO...Cid

I'd strongly disagree with that Cid... very different players imo... Robinson has performed very well against top D linemen and pass-rushers... Flowers had obvious flaws imo.

Hadron

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 68
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 07:18:34 PM »
1. Reaching for need.
2. Drafting solely on athleticism.

Jolly Blue Giant

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 214
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 07:35:16 PM »
One of the things that sticks in my craw is when writers and analysts try to summarize a player by comparing him to a professional from the past. This guy is the next Dirk Norwitski, or this guy is the second coming of Don Mattingly, or this guy is another Barry Sanders, etc. Pretty much all sports writers and talking heads do it and it drives me crazy.

Every player is a unique person with a unique mind, a unique body, unique skills, etc.

I don't know if Cam Robinson will be a stud or a dud. But he's not Erick Flowers. The only person that is Flowers and will become Flowers is Flowers. And when we drafted Flowers, the analysts raved about him and fawned over him saying he's the top tackle in the draft and strong enough to move the whole pile. The arguments on most boards was about "who do we take with the 9th pick?" Some wanted Scherff and many wanted Andrus Peat.

Interestingly, Scherff (taken number 5 overall) was listed as the top OT in the draft by just about every publication and talking head. But he ended up being moved to guard and after struggling, was ranked by PFF as 31st best guard in the country.

Andrus Peat was also considered one of the top OTs in the draft. Mike Mayock appraised Peat on national TV fawning over him and said, "He's got dancing feet with that lower body, it's unbelievable. Look at that body. Look at that bubble butt." After being drafted with the 13th overall pick, he has split time as a guard with New Orleans and has been unable to win the starting job.

I could also point out in the 2003 draft when Robert Gallery was "the best lineman to come out of college in years" and the first lineman to get a perfect 9.0 score as a tackle. He was taken number 2 overall right behind Eli Manning earning a huge salary. He flamed out as a LT, moved to RT where he wasn't any better, and ended up as a left guard in the NFL. He never lived up to the hype as a can't miss left tackle. At best, he became an adequate guard. A very, very expensive adequate guard.

The point: everyone is different and have their own unique shortcomings and unique plusses. Who knows what Cam Robinson will become. One thing is certain, he will become Cam Robinson and not Erick Flowers. We have to trust the brain trust in the front office to have a good idea of where Robinson would fit in if drafted.

Painter

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 238
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 07:36:29 PM »

Kiper vs. McShay: Three-round head-to-head mock draft
Our two NFL draft gurus traded off picks for three rounds, making the selections as if they were running each of the 32 teams.

XNYrnLA

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 12:42:03 AM »
Kiper vs. McShay: Three-round head-to-head mock draft
Our two NFL draft gurus traded off picks for three rounds, making the selections as if they were running each of the 32 teams.

I really don't get the notion of Mock Drafts and it's perceived popularity... it's one thing to have preferences for certain players or even a value board if you do your own research, but to have so many people and media pick for all teams is the funniest s**t...

COGiantFan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 360
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 02:31:32 AM »
The thing I would hate would be picking someone who is unlikely to make a significant contribution this year.

I think a great unappreciated story of this past season was how close the Cowboys came and the question of whether a 2nd round quality player who could get on the field might have been that bit extra they needed.  Compared to making the big splash by drafting a guy who had no chance of playing in 2016, and maybe never.

I would hate to see a #1 pick holding a clipboard while we fall just short.  One player can make a difference.
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist