Author Topic: Information Overload  (Read 214 times)

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 464
    • View Profile
Information Overload
« on: April 20, 2017, 08:36:35 AM »
The Draft really has become a circus more so than ever and there are thousands of opinions out there doing or not doing research. All to culminate in an instant. Then it all comes down to which players make it and which picks become epic flops.

Kudos to all of you here putting in all the time and research and I trust your opinions far more than those who take on the entire draft from the entire league perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 1077
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
Re: Information Overload
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 09:08:11 AM »
Ed,

The way I look at it, fan's approaches to the draft are very similar to fan's approaches to games.  Some fans never bother to learn the Xs and Os and just enjoy the action on the field.  Other fans take the time and effort to learn and develop a greater appreciation of the chess game that is going on behind the action.   Both approaches are good and neither has any effect on the outcome of the game.

I see the same thing with the draft.  You can take the time to learn about scouting players and learn about the prospects and really appreciate the draft and draft strategy to its fullest or you can simply enjoy the new players that the team drafts.   Both approaches are good in my opinion.

For draftniks who the Giants pick in the first round is more than just the player.  It's how the player fits in with the team, it's considered in light of where other players can be taken in the draft.  It's also about finding hidden gems.  It's pretty satisfying to find a relatively unknown or not highly talked about player and say they will be good and then go on to see your prediction come true. 

The only real downside I can see with being a draftnik is not falling into the trap of forming such a strong opinion on a prospect during the draft that you feel the need to defend that position for the player's career with the Giants or are unwilling to change that view as more and better data comes in from their time on the NFL playing fields.
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Bob In PA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 421
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 09:22:02 AM »
I hate the pre-draft "season" more than the off-season.

But one of my favorite pastimes is analyzing the ACTUAL draft picks after the draft is over.

Also interesting to me is which players the Giants passed over in making their selections.

Bob
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 09:25:06 AM by Bob In PA »

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 464
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 09:39:38 AM »
I hate the pre-draft "season" more than the off-season.

But one of my favorite pastimes is analyzing the ACTUAL draft picks after the draft is over.

Also interesting to me is which players the Giants passed over in making their selections.

Bob

Me too. To do that much research over a temporary situation that I have no control over is not time I want to spend. The information overload refers to the many varying opinions which have no actual NFL Draft experience and who don't know what is discussed behind closed doors and many who just read and regurgitate someone else's work.

Those fans who do their own research like Ceri (UKGiantsFan), Rich, RTG, Phil, Bama etc... are more important to how this draft relates to the Giants because in my opinion they know more than 99% of the noise out there. I'm not interested in reading anything else except the Huddle Report which I have appreciated over the years.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Bob In PA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 421
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 10:06:04 AM »
Me too. To do that much research over a temporary situation that I have no control over is not time I want to spend. The information overload refers to the many varying opinions which have no actual NFL Draft experience and who don't know what is discussed behind closed doors and many who just read and regurgitate someone else's work.

Those fans who do their own research like Ceri (UKGiantsFan), Rich, RTG, Phil, Bama etc... are more important to how this draft relates to the Giants because in my opinion they know more than 99% of the noise out there. I'm not interested in reading anything else except the Huddle Report which I have appreciated over the years.

Ed: Oh, in my note I forgot to mention my TOTAL AGREEMENT with your remarks about the people who contribute here, and add my appreciation for their time and effort regarding the draft. Thanks, guys. Bob
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 10:51:12 AM by Bob In PA »

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 10:06:31 AM »

Ed,

I remember one of Greg Gabriel's sayings-  "put 6 scouts in a room and have them watch the same tape on the same prospect and you will get 6 different reports on the guy".     Part of the challenge of a GM is figuring out which scout or scouts to listen to.    For what it's worth I like the choices you made in terms of who to listen to.   :D
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2017, 10:14:02 AM »
Oh and sometimes all the research will continue to pay dividends.  For example, here is Ceri's report our the Giants newest offensive lineman

DJ Fluker, Alabama (6’4 5/8”, 339lb’s, 36 ¾” arms, 21 BP reps) is an absolutely huge man with the longest reach of any player in this draft. Three year starter at RT.  Junior entry. Smart in the classroom – graduated in three years. Will be just a 21 year old rookie. Good character guy who is exuberant on the field too. Weighed in at the Senior Bowl at 355lb’s before getting injured in practice. Considering that was only two weeks after the BCS National Championship game it suggests that was his closer to his playing weight. Best run blocking Tackle in the entire draft by a long distance. Heavy footed. Lumbers on the edge in pass protection. Uses his arm length well and has a heavy punch but if beaten off the snap around the outside he doesn’t have the foot speed to recover and he struggles to redirect on inside moves. Only allowed 4 sacks as a junior but his deficiencies were masked somewhat by the fact the RB often was asked to chip his man and the TE often stayed in to help. Play-action passing will help hide that weakness but is he quick enough to get out on the edge consistently and protect his passer without the benefit of help? I’m not sure. Will undoubtedly open huge holes in the running game though. Needs to ensure he controls his weight in the pro ranks. Some suggestion his best position may be G. Projects best to a power running based offense. Need to keep his weight down in order to maximize his potential. Ranks 15th overall on my board but may go slightly higher if rumours are correct. 

bamagiantfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 265
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 10:46:37 AM »
The more I look at the opinions, mock drafts, pre-draft analyses and other information, the clearer it becomes that no one knows what will happen after the 7th overall pick in this draft. For me, the draft really starts with Carolina because if they do not take a RB, the shuffling will begin in earnest. If they take a TE, who is willing to move up and draft the other stud TE?

There is no way to know, but it makes for good conversation.
Go Giants!