Author Topic: 7 Current NYG Players who could be driving this draft  (Read 564 times)

bamagiantfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 285
    • View Profile
7 Current NYG Players who could be driving this draft
« on: April 20, 2017, 10:26:06 AM »
Sometimes it is the need that decides who teams pick in the draft. Other times, it is who you have. I think the Giants' draft will be at least partially driven by the players on the roster below.

Ereck Flowers – everything to date points to Ereck Flowers joining TJ Fluker and Justin Pugh as Giants players drafted to play tackle but appear destined to finish out their careers playing Guard. While I still believe his run-blocking is underappreciated, there is no denying that his pass blocking simply hasn’t been up to NFL standards. The tools are there so what is it? Is he uncoachable, a question that came up in college? Was there some undisclosed injury he played through last season? Is the “want to” factor simply not there? Whatever the reason, the Giants may for the 3rd time in 5 years be looking for a Tackle on Day 1 of the draft.

Paul Perkins – the question I would love to have the answer to is whether the Giants believe he is the new starter or not. Perkins is a decent all around back who improved during the 2016 season. He came in and took over the starting position from Jennings late in the season and was more productive. More importantly, he could stay healthy and Vereen and Jennings couldn’t. So, do the Giants want him to be the 15-20 carry back for the future, or is the future starting RB not on the roster yet? I believe it is the latter, but I could be wrong.

Romeo Okwara – yes, Okwara. When JPP was out against Dallas, it was Okwara, not Odigizawa, Wynn, or Maponga that stepped in as the starter. The undrafted free agent out of Notre Dame has apparently showed he could stay healthy and expanded on his immense raw ability. The former LB turned DE no longer looked stiff and out of position but had several tackles, a sack and a pass defended against the Cowboys. He was rewarded with additional snaps in the remaining games to give Vernon and JPP some much needed rest in the final games going into the playoffs. Does that continue in 2017? Is the needed  help at DE on the roster or not?

Jay Bromley – The DT has done next to nothing for the Giants, getting his first sack as a Giant midway through his third season in 2016 – against the much-maligned Rams O-line. With the departure of Hankins, a huge opportunity has opened up for him. I’m not sold that he will be anything other than a rotational player, and even if he does show well, he is a free agent next year. There is no guarantee he will be around after the 2017 season under any circumstances. His lack of development, pending free agency status, and the departure of Hankins has turned the DT position from a want in this draft to a need.

Aldrick Rosas – If you are asking yourself “who?”, therein lies the problem. Aldrick Rosas is currently the only kicker on the roster. Day 1 or 2? No. But a Day 3 selection is a near certainty.

Honorable Mention:
Eli Manning – as brother Peyton showed, no matter how good you are, when your arm starts to go it can go quickly. Only the Giants know just where Eli is physically now and regardless of where they see him, the clock is going to keep ticking. I don’t believe the Giants will pull the trigger on a QB in Round one this season but top QBs are drafted in the first 20 picks. If Trubisky slips and starts coming into range, or if MaHomes is still hanging around into the middle of Round 2,  the Giants could try to move up. Of course, wanting to move up and actually be able to do it can be quite different.

DRC – like Manning, DRC has played very well of late, but how many good years he has left is a mystery. I don’t believe CB is an issue, but certainly there are those that do. The departure of depth at CB makes a 3rd Day selection likely, but we could see them pull the trigger on a CB sooner if someone they like falls into their lap. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 10:29:06 AM by bamagiantfan »
Go Giants!

Bob In PA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 434
    • View Profile
Re: 7 Current NYG Players who could be driving this draft
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 10:35:32 AM »
Nice job. 

On a side note, whether it was intentional or not, I believe you have listed the "issues" roughly in their order of importance.

One more thing:  Bromley.... I think he's up to the task.  I re-watched all of last year's games... there was definite improvement over his 1st year... if he makes a similar leap this season he will do fine, IMO.

Bob

AP44

• All-Pro
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 90
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 11:21:23 AM »
I would throw Darian Thompson in there too.

If a guy like Peppers is sitting there at 23, that would be really tough to pass up.

beaugestus

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 01:18:47 PM »
For the life of me, I don't understand the regard that Peppers has with the fans and the media. Sure, it's impressive that he can play a number of places with their scheme. But, if you look at him on an individual basis at each position, he's definitely not going to play LB at the next level. He does not have any ball skills in the defensive backfield, not a very good tackler in space. He's a box S but is a good return man.

Jaime

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 210
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 04:45:47 PM »
bama, superb analysis! I too am very optimistic about Romeo Okwara as well. He's very young very Raw and very smart. He had just switched positions from linebacker to DE when we signed him. A full offseason of weight training and coaching will be very interesting to see what kind of effect it has on his play? :ok:

Painter

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 240
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 07:27:42 PM »
That is an excellent way to look at it and, I'd say, an accurate one, Mitch.

The only comment I would make has to do with Eli's age and Peyton loss of arm strength as it might encourage Eli's succession sooner rather than later. When Peyton retired after winning his second Lombardi, he was not just 5 years older than Eli  but he had recently had two serious neck surgeries. So, I would rather they go all out to protect (and support) Eli than to spend much of any capital looking for a potential successor at this time.

Cheers!

AP44

• All-Pro
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 08:40:53 AM »
For the life of me, I don't understand the regard that Peppers has with the fans and the media. Sure, it's impressive that he can play a number of places with their scheme. But, if you look at him on an individual basis at each position, he's definitely not going to play LB at the next level. He does not have any ball skills in the defensive backfield, not a very good tackler in space. He's a box S but is a good return man.

As a die-hard Michigan fan, there is a lot wrong with this post.

1. He is an EXCELLENT tackler in space. Probably better than any other defensive player in this draft.
2. He does have ball skills, he just wasnt thrown at a lot. He blitzed a lot. Played cover corner, and also the slot. He was never a true safety as far as playing centerfield.
3. Today's defense are not that of 30 years ago. With the amount of throwing and gimmick looks that are in the NFL now, you need a guy with speed, who can hit, and that can cover. Peppers could play safety on one down, and then the Deon Grant LB role in nickel or dime coverage.
4. Harbaugh has stated that he is one of the smartest players he has ever coached. Making him a true FS will be an easy transition.
5. He instantly becomes our return man and a threat every time he touches it.

Lot of perks to drafting this kid.

bamagiantfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 285
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 09:11:22 AM »
Nice post AP44.

It is my observation that some of the best players in the history of the NFL were guys that didn't fit neatly into any box. Was Lawrence Taylor a LB or an edge pass rusher? Was Ronnie Lott best suited for CB or Safety? Doug Plank was a tackling machine that was too small to play LB so Buddy Ryan created the "46 Defense" named after Plank's number, and Plank led the team in tackles as a rookie. Sam Huff was frustrated as a Lineman and even left camp. Lombardi talked him into coming back and Tom Landry stood him up and created a position called "Middle Linebacker". Where the hell was Randy Gradishar going to line up on the next snap? No one ever knew.

Give the coaches a guy who can play, and if they cannot find a place for him they will create one. Peppers can play.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 09:13:09 AM by bamagiantfan »
Go Giants!

AP44

• All-Pro
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 09:25:51 AM »
Nice post AP44.

It is my observation that some of the best players in the history of the NFL were guys that didn't fit neatly into any box. Was Lawrence Taylor a LB or an edge pass rusher? Was Ronnie Lott best suited for CB or Safety? Doug Plank was a tackling machine that was too small to play LB so Buddy Ryan created the "46 Defense" named after Plank's number, and Plank led the team in tackles as a rookie. Sam Huff was frustrated as a Lineman and even left camp. Lombardi talked him into coming back and Tom Landry stood him up and created a position called "Middle Linebacker". Where the hell was Randy Gradishar going to line up on the next snap? No one ever knew.

Give the coaches a guy who can play, and if they cannot find a place for him they will create one. Peppers can play.

Agreed. Now if a guy like Cook is available, he would be tough to pass on as well. One thing about sports.... more often than not, talent wins out. Give Mcadoo, Spags talent and let them figure it out.

todge

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 257
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 10:41:35 PM »
Agreed. Now if a guy like Cook is available, he would be tough to pass on as well. One thing about sports.... more often than not, talent wins out. Give Mcadoo, Spags talent and let them figure it out.

Cook is an easy pass. If you look closely at the drafts of the past five years, the Giants draft only Boy Scouts in the top Rounds. There are too many character issues for him to even be on the Giants' Board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hadron

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 01:18:17 AM »

Cook is an easy pass. If you look closely at the drafts of the past five years, the Giants draft only Boy Scouts in the top Rounds. There are too many character issues for him to even be on the Giants' Board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add in ball security issues (which might be correctable) and three shoulder surgeries? Nope.