Author Topic: What if Reuben Foster is available when Giants pick at 23?  (Read 656 times)

Philosophers

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 150
    • View Profile
What if Reuben Foster is available when Giants pick at 23?
« on: April 20, 2017, 05:25:29 PM »
The guy is immensely talented -- a true top 10 type pick who may be dropping now due to a "diluted" urine sample.  Todge please don't repeat the "Giants only draft choir boys in the first round" post as we all know that to be true in the past, but maybe not going forward. 

Would you draft him and why? 

UKGiantsFan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 239
    • View Profile
Re: What if Reuben Foster is available when Giants pick at 23?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 05:33:11 PM »
No.

Jordan Raanan talked in last night's podcast about the Giants allowing 'one thing' (negative) in as top pick be that inexperience, injury or character.

Well, Reuben just had his third strike with the failure of piss test to go with injury and character questions.

My worry is that this pushes up Davis. My 1,2,3 was Howard, Davis and Bolles and now it could be that all three are gone  ~X(

Bob In PA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 05:39:30 PM »
This year's version of the gas mask. 

uconnjack8

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 10:13:08 PM »
This is an interesting one.  A specimen is generally considered "dilute" if the creatinine is below some threshold.  That could be a medical issue but since he said he felt dehydrated and drank a bunch of water it brings up more questions.  The fact he was sent home after a dispute with a hospital worker only casts more suspicion on this.

yatQB

• Regular Groups Two
  • Reserve
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 11:49:53 PM »
I can't see us taking him given the rotator cuff issue and this latest issue.  He's also lighter than expected.

Philosophers

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 09:27:06 AM »
Word is that he is the best LB to come out of Saban's Bama team in a very long time.  A Navarro Bowman type talent.  It's interesting because I always thought of Bowman as a physically huge LB because he played that way.  Never seemed to get pushed back on a tackle.  Yet, he was 6'0" and 242 pounds.  Foster is 6'0" and about 232 pounds.  Pretty darn close.

bamagiantfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 275
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 09:47:29 AM »
We talk a lot about "System Quarterbacks" but don't often apply that to other positions. On the whole, Sabin's players have underperformed at the next level, particularly the RBs, Safeties, and LBs. I don't know why that is, but with few exceptions, it has pretty much been the case.  Conversely, Georgia and LSU players typically exceed expectations at the next level. The Pro Bowl rosters bear that out.

Maybe the wealth and depth of talent for the Tide helps everyone look good in the Alabama system. Foster is very good. Would he be as good without Allen and Tomlinson in front of him,Williams and Anderson on either side, and against better talent? That's the question everyone is trying to answer.
Go Giants!

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 1115
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 09:49:47 AM »
We talk a lot about "System Quarterbacks" but don't often apply that to other positions. On the whole, Sabin's players have underperformed at the next level, particularly the RBs, Safeties, and LBs. I don't know why that is, but with few exceptions, it has pretty much been the case.  Conversely, Georgia and LSU players typically exceed expectations at the next level. The Pro Bowl rosters bear that out.

Maybe the wealth and depth of talent for the Tide helps everyone look good in the Alabama system. Foster is very good. Would he be as good without Allen and Tomlinson in front of him,Williams and Anderson on either side, and against better talent? That's the question everyone is trying to answer.

Didn't Landon Collins play safety for Sabin?
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

bamagiantfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 10:12:33 AM »
Didn't Landon Collins play safety for Sabin?
Yup. So did Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix (Green Bay). Hightower, Mosley, and others have done well, but it seems like there are a lot more misses than hits. That's why the Buccaneers traded Mark Barron, and St. Louis (at the time) moved him to a new position. Rashad Johnson was never much more than a Special Teams player. Trent Richardson, Rolando McLain, Dee Milliner, and others never seem to live up to the hype.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:16:20 AM by bamagiantfan »
Go Giants!

JoeP

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 34
  • I wanted to take a knee.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 10:16:29 AM »
There are a lot balls up in the air with Foster. Just as with Tunsil, the Giants will pass.
That being said, the SOB is one heck of a footballer. He can be in my foxhole anytime. Spags might die and go to heaven.

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 10:33:56 AM »
Yup. So did Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix (Green Bay). Hightower, Mosley, and others have done well, but it seems like there are a lot more misses than hits. That's why the Buccaneers traded Mark Barron, and St. Louis (at the time) moved him to a new position. Rashad Johnson was never much more than a Special Teams player. Trent Richardson, Rolando McLain, Dee Milliner, and others never seem to live up to the hype.

I think on the defensive side of the ball players can sometimes look better than their talent because of the synergy of the positions.  For example, a MLB can look better if his DTs are keeping the blockers off him and he is free to make the tackles.   A CB can look better if the D-line is putting quick pressure on the QB.   The defensive line can look better if the secondary is covering well and giving them more time to get to the QB.

So I don't think it's a system issue rather than a general issue that good defenses tend to raise the level of play of everyone in them.
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Philosophers

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 12:57:59 PM »
Bama - in some ways, I wonder if the greatness of Alabama and Saban is the ability to produce great teams rather than great players (ala LSU), much like Duke basketball in the 1990s.  Duke's players rarely were major stars in NBA yet they were unbelievable as a team and won a lot.

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 01:21:01 PM »
I can't see us taking him given the rotator cuff issue and this latest issue.  He's also lighter than expected.

The shoulder issue could be an issue or non-issue depending on what the Giants team doctors think.  Not all medical staffs see things the same way.  Although, it does seem the Giants medical staff is more conservative than most.

Jaime

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 199
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 09:25:18 PM »
Too many grey areas for me as a first-round selection.  :no:

bamagiantfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2017, 09:42:11 PM »
Too many grey areas for me as a first-round selection.  :no:

You never know. Drug rumors. Anger Management issues. An unrealistic sense of self importance. It could be like drafting Lawrence Taylor all over again.  ;)
Go Giants!