Author Topic: Thoughts about the schedule  (Read 204 times)

Bob In PA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 310
    • View Profile
Thoughts about the schedule
« on: April 21, 2017, 02:53:33 AM »
Tough schedule for the Giants, but I suppose a good team doesn't care much about such things.

They play four games against teams coming off byes.  However, in the Week 9 game (hosting the Rams), both teams are coming off their respective byes... I don't remember ever seeing that before.

The other three are: Week 6 (at Broncos); Week 7 (Seahawks); and Week 10 (Chiefs).  They also play a Week 14 game against a team coming off 10 days' rest (Cowboys).  At least the three against playoff teams are at home, but that's small consolation. 

As for the game in Denver, the Broncos not only have an extra week off, but the game is in a low-oxygen environment, and it requires the long plane ride, and it's on Sunday night.  Maybe the league should also assign the officiating crew that despises Beckham to that game, just to level the playing field a bit.  LOL

Bob
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 02:57:09 AM by Bob In PA »

joeyfootball

• Mod Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 94
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts about the schedule
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 04:56:07 AM »
good teams over come these.

key is that the giants stay healthy.

DesG89

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 06:02:45 AM »
The other key is the D picking up where it left off last year. Anything less and this season could be dicey

AP44

• All-Pro
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 50
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 08:36:55 AM »
Every team in our division has quirks about their schedule. No excuses. If you have SB aspirations, scheduling should not be an issue. Lets get it done.

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 976
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 09:48:53 AM »
Tough schedule for the Giants, but I suppose a good team doesn't care much about such things.

They play four games against teams coming off byes.  However, in the Week 9 game (hosting the Rams), both teams are coming off their respective byes... I don't remember ever seeing that before.

The other three are: Week 6 (at Broncos); Week 7 (Seahawks); and Week 10 (Chiefs).  They also play a Week 14 game against a team coming off 10 days' rest (Cowboys).  At least the three against playoff teams are at home, but that's small consolation. 

As for the game in Denver, the Broncos not only have an extra week off, but the game is in a low-oxygen environment, and it requires the long plane ride, and it's on Sunday night.  Maybe the league should also assign the officiating crew that despises Beckham to that game, just to level the playing field a bit.  LOL

Bob

I have to confess these points anger me.  I remember a similar situation last season as well.  Statistically, the team should be facing only one team coming off its bye week and maybe 2 teams coming in on 10 days rest (I am not sure if it's a 1 or 2 game limit for Thursday night games0.    So clearly the league schedulers had their thumb on the scale against the Giants.
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

TDToomer

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 10:02:50 AM »
4:30 game on Christmas Eve absolutely sucks.  The NFL should be ashamed of themselves.  Play the games on friggen Saturday! 
"It's extra special against Dallas. That's absolutely a team I can't stand. I've been hating Dallas ever since I knew anything about football." - Brandon Jacobs

uconnjack8

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 107
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 11:32:02 AM »
My thoughts:

1) Also hate the fact we have to play so many games against teams coming back from their bye.  I think it happened last year as well
2) Disappointed that all 4 of our west coast games are separate trips
3) Its pretty nice having 3 of your last 4 at home and all of those 3 being in division
4) In 1 of those 3 home games, we play the Eagles.  It is the last of a 3 game road trip for the Eagles and a stretch of 4 road games out of 5. Can't help but like that.
5) In terms of our Thursday game, I wish it was earlier in the season, but we get a short trip after a 1 PM home game.  It also gives us a few extra days before we head to Oakland.  Overall I think we got a good set up there.

Our schedule is tough, but it is largely because we play in a tough division and are playing two tough divisions. 

tonyt830

• Reserve
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 11:55:01 AM »
I'm just tired of seeing Dallas on opening day again.  What makes it worse, they play Sunday night on NBC.  I can't stand waiting all day for Giants football and I can't stand Collinsworth and all of the damn commercials the Sunday night game seems to have.  Then week 2 they play on Monday night vs Detroit.  I don't know, I am just a fan of the afternoon games on Sunday.  When you have to work at night or get up for work early in the morning, those night games are brutal.
"Remember, the mind is your best muscle.  Big arms can move rocks, but big words can move mountains."