Author Topic: A very odd comment from Jerry Reese  (Read 399 times)

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 1079
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
A very odd comment from Jerry Reese
« on: April 21, 2017, 09:08:46 AM »
It's my understanding that the NFL generally engages in quality improvement principles.   In this case, it's always been my understanding that teams regularly review their draft performance to gain lessons learned from both mistakes and hits.   Yet when asked about what he thought about the team's draft performance he told the press "that's not his job".   How does one get better at one's job if you don't evaluate how you did and learn from your past performance?

Q: How do you personally evaluate this team’s draft performance over the last three or four years?

A: It is not my job to do that. You guys can do that. We go in every year and do our best to draft the best players available and try to develop the kids that we get on the roster, so if you win, it is a good draft and if you don’t win, then it is a bad draft. You guys can evaluate that. I am not here to talk about how we are evaluating what the drafts are.
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Philosophers

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 137
    • View Profile
Re: A very odd comment from Jerry Reese
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 09:19:36 AM »
Not a fan of the comment.  Maybe it's a good draft and you drafted the wrong players.  Maybe it's a good draft and your coaching staff did not develop the players you drafted.  He seems to deflect rather than take responsibility for the draft's results.

todge

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 233
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 06:14:24 PM »
It's my understanding that the NFL generally engages in quality improvement principles.   In this case, it's always been my understanding that teams regularly review their draft performance to gain lessons learned from both mistakes and hits.   Yet when asked about what he thought about the team's draft performance he told the press "that's not his job".   How does one get better at one's job if you don't evaluate how you did and learn from your past performance?

Q: How do you personally evaluate this team’s draft performance over the last three or four years?

A: It is not my job to do that. You guys can do that. We go in every year and do our best to draft the best players available and try to develop the kids that we get on the roster, so if you win, it is a good draft and if you don’t win, then it is a bad draft. You guys can evaluate that. I am not here to talk about how we are evaluating what the drafts are.

It really isn't his job. From a supervision standpoint yes, but Ross and his 12 Scouts are the ones who scout the players, assign the grades then run the entire Draft. So if a team wants to improve their process, they need to fine tune the process of just how they scout players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yatQB

• Regular Groups Two
  • Reserve
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 07:44:00 PM »
Hard to imagine that they don't do self-evaluation.  Perhaps Reese is just being Reese and not regurgitating that for the media.

Cid in Dupont

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 108
  • Best SB ever!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 08:24:47 PM »
Hard to imagine that they don't do self-evaluation.  Perhaps Reese is just being Reese and not regurgitating that for the media.

He seems to deflect rather than take responsibility for the draft's results.

You are both correct.  Standard JR here...Teflon, Teflon & more Teflon.  Something I think he excels at...dodging questions with answers that don't really answer the question.

Cid
Even a fool when he holds his peace is considered wise; when he closes his lips he is esteemed a man of understanding.

Painter

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 238
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 08:33:59 PM »
You are right, Rich. Actually, odd wouldn't have been quite so generous a term in my mind.

He didn't like the question, didn't want to deal with it, that we can understand. But what can't be understood is such a vacuous answer. If you don't judge yourself, how can you dare judge anyone else? Thus, it's almost as if his unwillingness to judge the team's draft performance, in which he is the central figure. reflects a distaste for being judged by anyone including himself. Yet he has to know that leadership is all about self-analysis, self-criticism.

In any case, however you view it, the easy answer is the boilerplate: I think overall we did quite well with the opportunities we had. I think we have a more talented team now than we have had in the past several years due to some of the success we have had in the Draft and in Free Agency. Yackity yackity . That goes with the territory.

Cheers!

Jaime

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 193
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 04:31:52 PM »
Methinks they caught JR on an off day. The tone of that answer is so untypical of him. :no:

afan56

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 77
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 04:42:16 PM »
You are right, Rich. Actually, odd wouldn't have been quite so generous a term in my mind.

He didn't like the question, didn't want to deal with it, that we can understand. But what can't be understood is such a vacuous answer. If you don't judge yourself, how can you dare judge anyone else? Thus, it's almost as if his unwillingness to judge the team's draft performance, in which he is the central figure. reflects a distaste for being judged by anyone including himself. Yet he has to know that leadership is all about self-analysis, self-criticism.

In any case, however you view it, the easy answer is the boilerplate: I think overall we did quite well with the opportunities we had. I think we have a more talented team now than we have had in the past several years due to some of the success we have had in the Draft and in Free Agency. Yackity yackity . That goes with the territory.

Cheers!

Painter, he might like you as a PR man, that is without the yakity Yack at the end. Before I read any responses, mine was that he didn't want to indulge in their retrospective with the media. Like little Bill?

Painter

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 238
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2017, 05:06:29 PM »
I take your point, afan. But if that's going to be Jerry's act, we better send him a hoodie.

Cheers!