Author Topic: Reese's comments about drafting a TE  (Read 123 times)

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 944
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
Reese's comments about drafting a TE
« on: April 21, 2017, 09:19:27 AM »
Admittedly reading the tea leaves on this one, but it doesn't sound like Reese is going in feeling the need to draft a TE

Q: How has the role of the tight end changed since this team picked one in the first round with Shockey?

A: I think it is whatever your offensive coordinator is, what your head coach’s philosophy is, and I think that is what determines what your tight end role is. You look at different teams and tight ends are a big part of what they do and you look at us and we haven’t been a two tight end kind of offense under Ben. But we do feel like a tight end could come in and help us. We brought (Rhett) Ellison in to be part of that equation of helping the run game, and I think he is a very capable receiving as well, so there are some good tight ends in the draft, we believe. I like a lot of different positions, but it just depends on what the offensive coordinator thinks and how much he wants to use a tight end.
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Philosophers

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 99
    • View Profile
Re: Reese's comments about drafting a TE
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 09:21:33 AM »
I understand why you think that, however, my interpretation is that he thinks we may be less of a two TE set than other teams, but he hints that one good TE is something they like and it is not like he gave Rhett a ringing endorsement.  Think they can still draft one early.

COGiantFan

• Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 315
    • View Profile
Re: Reese's comments about drafting a TE
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 11:20:16 AM »
Admittedly reading the tea leaves on this one, but it doesn't sound like Reese is going in feeling the need to draft a TE

Q: How has the role of the tight end changed since this team picked one in the first round with Shockey?

A: I think it is whatever your offensive coordinator is, what your head coach’s philosophy is, and I think that is what determines what your tight end role is. You look at different teams and tight ends are a big part of what they do and you look at us and we haven’t been a two tight end kind of offense under Ben. But we do feel like a tight end could come in and help us. We brought (Rhett) Ellison in to be part of that equation of helping the run game, and I think he is a very capable receiving as well, so there are some good tight ends in the draft, we believe. I like a lot of different positions, but it just depends on what the offensive coordinator thinks and how much he wants to use a tight end.

I wonder which of our 2 OCs he is talking about?
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist