Author Topic: Answering Bama's Q About Michigan's DL Players And Scheme  (Read 324 times)

Philosophers

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 152
    • View Profile
Answering Bama's Q About Michigan's DL Players And Scheme
« on: April 21, 2017, 09:55:30 AM »
There have multiple posts about Michigan's DL players (Taco Charlton, Chris Wormley and Ryan Glasgow) being potential Giants draft picks or wishes by some on board here that I thought I'd summarize Michigan's defensive scheme, where they played and what I think of each.

Coach Don Brown, the DC, came over from Boston College where he ran the #1 defense in the country in 2015.  He runs multiple fronts but his philosophy is an attacking 1 gap system.  He wants to:

1) attack the LOS and disrupt blocking schemes;
2) get off the ball and stay on the edge of a blocker
3) stop the run on the way to the QB
4) rush the passer on run downs

Coach Brown's DL Position Nomenclature:
Anchor (A) - this is the strongside end known as the SDE or 5-Tech.  This is where Chris Wormley and Rashan Gary typically play.  It's a featured role in the defense.  The A lines up inside the TE in what Brown calls a 6 - Technique.  The Anchor takes the C gap, but first his job is to plant the TE on his ass. Occupying the TE and OT like that is meant to keep the SAM (Jabrill Peppers) free from big blockers coming down on him.

Tackle (T) - Willy Henry/Maurice Hurst/Rashan Gary/Matt Godin play this position.  Thisis the standard 3 Tech or DT usually responsible for the B gap and usually blasting the guard into the backfield.

Nose (N) - Ryan Glasgow/Bryan Mone play this position.  Usually has that backside A gap and often asked to not let the guard or center get downfield.

End (E) - Taco Charlton - This is the WDE or rush end or Buck or RE.  Here is where Charlton shined as Brown typically rotated players here in at BC, however Charlton gave him more versatility so he stayed on field more.  Typically the E is setting the backside edge, rushing the passer, or defending the backside of zone read.  He stunts on a lot of blitzes and 4 man pressures.  He rarely drops into coverage.

In his 4-3 schemes, Coach Brown runs two basic 4-3 schemes which he calls 70 fronts -- 71 and 72.  The basic difference is where the N and E line up.  In the 71, the N lines up over the center on his left shoulder while the E lines up on the OLT on his left shoulder.  The 71 is stronger against inside runs.  In the 72, the N lines up over the LG on his right shoulder while the E lines up outside the OLT.  The 72 is stronger against pass plays as it gives an easier path to pass rush or play a zone read.  In either the 71 or 72, the A plays over the TE's left shoulder on the right side of the LOS and the T plays over the RG over his right shoulder.

As one gap penetrators, Michigan's DL players are generally lean and not very big including Glasgow who is only 6'2" 294 and plays N.  They are responsible for quick blocks to stop OL momentum then to attack gaps.  Glasgow plays with tremendous low leverage, however, at his size, I think he needs to get bigger to play a comparable 1 tech nose in the pros.  I can see him sliding over to play a 3 tech in the NFL.

Wormley played mostly a 5 tech at Michigan but he slid over to play 3 tech occasionally.  He was NOT the primary DT (3 Tech) at Michigan so all this talk about him playing 3 Tech in the pros is more about what they think he can do, not what he has done primarily at Michigan.  Taco is a pure weakside DE who rushes the passer and sets an edge.

I generally consider Michigan's DL and Alabama's DL to have been the best in the country in 2016.  The biggest difference is that I do not believe Michigan had a player who was of the caliber of Bama's Jonathan Allen, however, I thought Michigan's DL had more depth of better caliber players so they rotated something like 7 deep.  The best player to come out of it IMHO will be Rashan Gary, the #1 recruit in the country and 1st year last season.  He's something like 6'5" 290 and ran a 4.53 I think in the Spring. 

Hope this helps.

MightyGiants

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Online Online
  • Liked: 1133
    • View Profile
    • Giants Fans
Re: Answering Bama's Q About Michigan's DL Players And Scheme
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 10:21:05 AM »
This is an outstanding post and ample evidence of why I think this is the best Giants board on the internet

Well done  :ok:  =D>
"THE 2007 and 2011 GIANTS WERE NEVER PERFECT, NOR MEANT TO BE.  THEY WERE FIGHTERS, SCRAPPERS, NOW THEY CAN BE CALLED SOMETHING ELSE....WORLD CHAMPIONS!"

Bob In PA

• Global Moderator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 428
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 11:16:03 AM »
Really, if there were a Hall of Fame for posts here, this one would be nominated for induction. LOL

Great work.

Philosophers

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 152
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 12:50:47 PM »
Thank you.  Figured it might help others here.  Happy to do it.

I think this is the best board regardless of Giants affiliation.  So many great, knowledgeable fans here who are generally very respectful to each other.  This board is great.