Author Topic: Talent show opera  (Read 134 times)

JDSmith

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 29
    • View Profile
Talent show opera
« on: April 26, 2017, 07:26:23 PM »
For any opera fans, my eldest Xana singing Mi Chiamano Mimi from La Boheme at the high school talent show on Friday.

https://youtu.be/-wHTq2yes4U

She also did a duet from some musical, but I'm trying to get pictures to turn it into a video. I messed up the video recording, but I have audio. I know one of her friends was taking pictures for the school so I'm getting some stills from her so I can make it into a 'video' and youtube will accept it.

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 425
    • View Profile
Re: Talent show opera
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 08:13:37 PM »
Wow, what a lovely voice. Did she win? She should have. Is she a Senior?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

JDSmith

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 08:27:48 PM »
Wow, what a lovely voice. Did she win? She should have. Is she a Senior?

Thanks, we thought she did really well. She's been taking voice lessons for 3 years now and we're really happy with the way her voice has matured. She didn't even place, never mind win. And yes, this was her last high school talent show. In 4 tries she got one second place, last year for Ave Maria. But when we listen we can hear how much her voice has developed, and although we think she should win every year we know that for whatever reason opera doesn't get much respect in high school talent shows. On the plus side, I've seen her make grown men cry with her singing (other grown men, I'm expected to cry).

LennG

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 470
  • My Man YA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 08:45:11 PM »
Excellent JD. She was wonderful and that is from some one who doesn't know anything about opera.

I can understand why she didn't even place. As far as these HS talent things go, if they do not recognize the song they lose interest very fast. As you said, Ava Maria got her a 2nd place. She has to sing what she is most comfortable with, but if you want to score 'points' in a HS talent show you have to keep the audience and the judges interested.

She does get my vote though.    :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

JDSmith

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 08:56:19 PM »
Excellent JD. She was wonderful and that is from some one who doesn't know anything about opera.

I can understand why she didn't even place. As far as these HS talent things go, if they do not recognize the song they lose interest very fast. As you said, Ava Maria got her a 2nd place. She has to sing what she is most comfortable with, but if you want to score 'points' in a HS talent show you have to keep the audience and the judges interested.

She does get my vote though.    :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:

Thanks.  I don't know anything about opera either, don't like it at all unless I personally made the singer.

Yeah, we knew going in that it's tough to win with opera. In fact I was actually most proud of my daughter for her answer when my wife asked her about switching from opera. Last year my wife said,"You're not going to win with opera, so do you want to win the talent show?" And my daughter said,"Not if I can't sing my songs." So she sings opera.

It's still tough though because she's clearly upset when she doesn't win, and we all think she did an amazing job. But it would be easy for her to do a broadway song and likely win - her voice coach thinks she's better at belting than singing opera, but she has no interest in it. So I give her a lot of credit for doing what she wants, rather than what is more likely to win.

But a little recognition would be nice IMO.

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 425
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 10:09:31 PM »
This passion for Opera can take her places others will never go. It's not a race, it's a marathon. She could perform an Carnegie Hall someday.

"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

JDSmith

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 05:22:34 PM »
I finally got around to getting the pictures from the duet and making a slideshow of her other performance that night.

https://youtu.be/qpnH5P1Z5i4

Xana hated it, she said she's never singing 'pop' again. It's pretty much the least pop song I've heard, but what do I know? I thought it was nice to hear her sing something different. My mother is still insisting that she has to sing Blue Bayou for her some day, but that's a tough sell.

LennG

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 470
  • My Man YA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 08:39:04 PM »
Blue Bayou, now that I would like to hear also. :ok: :ok: :ok: :ok:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss