News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Experts react to Giants' 2017 draft picks

Started by MightyGiants, April 30, 2017, 07:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MightyGiants

SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Jolly Blue Giant

I think Avery Moss is going to surprise a lot of people. He would have gone a lot higher in the draft if not for some dumb things he did early in his career. I've watched some video of him discussing how he changed his life and he seems very sincere. He certainly has the size and the tools to be a highly disruptive and nasty DE. We should probably be happy that he screwed up as a kid or he might have been off the board by the 2nd round. I think he is going to be really good.
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

Uni

Painter

It would be nice to know what they really think.  <:-P We won't find other sources (forget "Experts") quite so friendly.

Cheers!

Uni

Quote from: Painter on April 30, 2017, 09:55:28 AM
It would be nice to know what they really think.  <:-P

Cheers!

The round ups all contradict each other - some said Engram is a great pick while others say he's a reach. This guy thinks Tomlinson is a steal, the other guy says it's a draft killer. So taken as a whole, the analysis is folderol. But the Giants.com round up was... slanted.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

uconnjack8

Quote from: Uni on April 30, 2017, 10:10:09 AM

The round ups all contradict each other - some said Engram is a great pick while others say he's a reach. This guy thinks Tomlinson is a steal, the other guy says it's a draft killer. So taken as a whole, the analysis is folderol. But the Giants.com round up was... slanted.

That's why I laugh when I read these things.  For some reason though, I still read them.

Uni

The dumbest thing I read was one pundit saying the Giants could have "easily traded up to take Howard". This is not an automatic thing that just happens. The Jimmy Johnson draft value board is antiquated as it was created before the salary cap and made even more outdated in light of the rookie salary cap (it's also created out of whole cloth based purely on intuition and was just accepted as gospel because of Johnson's success in team building). So the asking price to move up is quite high in comparison to the JJ value board in the first round, and you have to find a suitor willing to take your offer. It is foolish and poor cap management these days to lose your second or third round pick to move up a few spots, assuming that is even possible. This is something you do for a foundation player, not a TE.

Mr. Matt

The big question of any draft is how many of these kids will be hits v. misses. Fans and the media get caught up thinking about a team's immediate needs, and get attached to perceptions and predictions that are necessarily flawed. If most or all of these players turn out to be NFL-caliber, as was the case with last year's draft, but was not the case from 2011-2013, the draft will be successful, regardless of which positions were prioritized or which holes were filled.

Time to start rooting for the six kids who are now Giants and stop worrying about what might have been. Draft predictions and grades given a day after are a total exercise in futility.
"If there are going to be endless echoes, choose the good ones." -Eli Manning

AZGiantFan

Good points.  Drafting for need doesn't avoid the high failure rate the draft embodies. 
I'd rather be a disappointed optimist than a vindicated pessimist. 

Not slowing my roll