News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Long Posts

Started by Ed Vette, May 01, 2017, 09:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you feel about them

You may only select up to 3 options.

Ed Vette

You can vote up to three items and guests can vote.

Comments?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

babywhales

For me it depends on the poster. 
"The biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has been accomplished."– G.B.S

Ed Vette

I added it, Chris. Thanks.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

I know that I am guilty of making long posts. I am "concision challenged". If someone asks me the time, I explain the concept of time and how a watch works. If someone asks the score of last night's baseball game, I tend to recap every inning. I apologize in advance for droning on more than I should. Everyone tells me I should have been a teacher because I explain my every thought. Or maybe they are hinting that I'm boring, who knows
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

quacker

I start reading longer posts and, if the commentary is insightful or compelling, I read the whole thing. If the commentary is boring or lacks compelling arguments I skim it. It doesn't really matter who the poster is.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on May 01, 2017, 09:47:09 AM
I know that I am guilty of making long posts. I am "concision challenged". If someone asks me the time, I explain the concept of time and how a watch works. If someone asks the score of last night's baseball game, I tend to recap every inning. I apologize in advance for droning on more than I should. Everyone tells me I should have been a teacher because I explain my every thought. Or maybe they are hinting that I'm boring, who knows

I can't speak for the others, but in my mind this poll is not in any way a condemnation of long posts.  Bob
If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Ed Vette

Quote from: Bob In PA on May 01, 2017, 10:01:15 AM
I can't speak for the others, but in my mind this poll is not in any way a condemnation of long posts.  Bob

Of course not. Some long posts have excellent content. Just gauging the members and letting everyone read the sentiment. It's certainly not directed at JBG.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

bamagiantfan

If we are going to try and limit this to 140 characters, there is already a forum for that.

I read many but not all of the long posts. Some days I might not read any. Other days when I have more time, I like to read the perspectives of others, often regardless of how long they embellish. I will also say that long rants about the latest thing somebody doesn't like, has no interest for me. I am more interested in what someone thinks or doesn't think far more than what they like or don't like. Those are not always separable, but I find a well thought out a reasoned discussion is interesting, regardless of length, even if I don't agree.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Ed Vette

I would think that someone would want to know how many people may avoid their long post or just skim through it before deciding to put that much time and effort into their work.
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Hadron

I stopped drafting long posts because I felt people either didn't read'em, skimmed'em or took one line entirely out of context.

bamagiantfan

Quote from: Vette on May 01, 2017, 10:19:25 AM
I would think that someone would want to know how many people may avoid their long post or just skim through it before deciding to put that much time and effort into their work.

I think we need to remember that some are reading posts when we really should be working. Some long posts get sidestepped for that reason. not me though.  :smug:

I understand the reason for the poll. I certainly have experienced the disappointment of a carefully constructed post that no one responded to, quite possibly due to its length.
I know you believe you understand what you think I wrote, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant - Robert McCloskey (if he were on this Forum)

Ed Vette

Quote from: Hadron on May 01, 2017, 10:21:49 AM
I stopped drafting long posts because I felt people either didn't read'em, skimmed'em or took one line entirely out of context.

Yeah, Bob does that to me all the time.  :P

(kidding, Bob)
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

coggs

For me, it also depends on the topic and for how long the topic has been discussed.  I don't read every thread, as sometime the topic just doesn't interest me and if it is the 4th/5th thread on a topic in a week or in a day, then I am less likely to read it. 

MightyGiants

I only care about the quality of the posts.   I find most longer posts tend to be of high quality here at BBH and are well worth the read.
SMART, TOUGH, DEPENDABLE

Hadron

Quote from: Vette on May 01, 2017, 10:24:18 AM
Yeah, Bob does that to me all the time.  :P

(kidding, Bob)

That Bob!