News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Long Posts

Started by Ed Vette, May 01, 2017, 09:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you feel about them

You may only select up to 3 options.

Bob In PA

Quote from: Vette on May 01, 2017, 10:24:18 AM
Yeah, Bob does that to me all the time.  :P

(kidding, Bob)

Quote from: Hadron on May 01, 2017, 10:42:06 AM
That Bob!

Ed and Hadron:  Picky is my middle name !!

If Jeff Hostetler could do it, Daniel Jones can do it !!!

Mr. Matt

If someone's post is primarily informational, the longer the better. I enjoy reading facts or analysis by many posters here.

There are also some posters whose writing style I find entertaining, so if I have free time that day I will read those long posts as well.

When posters find excellent articles and want to share them, or spend a long time compiling information on draft picks, or free agents, or a historical story, or X's and O's, I think that BBH should follow a policy of archiving those on the history and chalk talk and draft boards so that we can read them later on our own time. Topics fall off the main board relatively quickly, and more than I few times I've found myself scrolling through a few days later trying to find something I didn't have time to read when it was posted, but was interested in.
"If there are going to be endless echoes, choose the good ones." -Eli Manning

Ed Vette

Quote from: Mr. Matt on May 01, 2017, 11:15:09 AM
If someone's post is primarily informational, the longer the better. I enjoy reading facts or analysis by many posters here.

There are also some posters whose writing style I find entertaining, so if I have free time that day I will read those long posts as well.

When posters find excellent articles and want to share them, or spend a long time compiling information on draft picks, or free agents, or a historical story, or X's and O's, I think that BBH should follow a policy of archiving those on the history and chalk talk and draft boards so that we can read them later on our own time. Topics fall off the main board relatively quickly, and more than I few times I've found myself scrolling through a few days later trying to find something I didn't have time to read when it was posted, but was interested in.

Would you be interested in following up with that?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Mr. Matt

Ed, I would be interested in helping out if I can in any of a few ways: archiving good posts, selecting posts for re-posting as articles, or receiving and editing articles for use on the front page. I'd just need some assistance from you guys figuring out what your platform can do.
"If there are going to be endless echoes, choose the good ones." -Eli Manning

tucker115

Quote from: Mr. Matt on May 01, 2017, 03:25:37 PM
Ed, I would be interested in helping out if I can in any of a few ways: archiving good posts, selecting posts for re-posting as articles, or receiving and editing articles for use on the front page. I'd just need some assistance from you guys figuring out what your platform can do.

I already sincerely appreciate that this has become my primary stop for Giants info. If you guys pull this off, personally,  I think that would make this very, very good site, a great one. Much thanks to all that invest their time and effort!!!!  :ok:

Ed Vette

Quote from: Mr. Matt on May 01, 2017, 03:25:37 PM

Let me discuss it with Rich and see how we think this may work and we'll get back to you later in the week. Thanks for volunteering!
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

tucker115

Back to the main topic, I'm with Bama - if it's a rant, I will move on. Opinion pretending to be fact should be kept short or it becomes tedious pretty quickly. Well reasoned, fact supported? Write as long as you like. That has value because it adds to the discussion. I think opinion pieces have their place in the Front Page section, because that's the section geared towards those type of posts.

Doc16LT56

I'd say there are three main reasons I might skim or skip a long post:

1. When a post seems to be a little too far-fetched I try to move on. There are times when folks get excited about the team and maybe present their opinions in a way that seems to be a little... tendentious. If you're making a case that every player is an All Pro or on the verge of becoming an All Pro, I think that's great, but I probably won't spend much time on it.

2. Some posters stick to certain topics and keep repeating themselves. Nothing wrong with that but there are only so many ways to repackage the same points. If the first paragraph of a post sounds too familiar, I will often skip it and move on.

3. This site takes pride in being polite and civil but is not always welcoming and friendly to strangers. Some threads seem to be intended for the main group of "insiders" only (i.e. everyone else is ignored). When I come across those threads, I've learned to move on and leave them alone. I know of a couple guys who have moved on from this site because the other sites can be a bit more welcoming to strangers, even if they aren't as polite (i.e. they're willing to engage with strangers). There are a handful of regular posters here who are willing to engage but otherwise, I don't think that's always the case. So when it comes to long posts, I try to stick to threads from some of the friendlier posters like MG, Bob, Tucker and a handful of others.

Having said all that, I find some excellent content in the longer, well thought out posts on this site. Between this site and one other board, plus twitter, I can usually find enough quality Giants content to keep me happy. It beats the old days when I had to wait for the next weekly to come out.