News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Favorite or most intriguing Movie Characters

Started by Ed Vette, March 31, 2022, 10:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolly Blue Giant

She was pretty for sure. From all I've read, she liked her co-stars and they liked her
I always knew I'd get old. How fast
it happened is a surprise, though  :crazy:

Ed Vette

The site should be PG friendly keeping in mind that anyone under 18 and women have access. We also have female members.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Ed Vette on May 24, 2022, 10:23:31 AM
The site should be PG friendly keeping in mind that anyone under 18 and women have access. We also have female members.
Fair enough

GIANTS1

Napolean Wilson played by Darwin Joston in assault on precint 13. if you saw this film you wouldnt forget him. " Gotta Smoke"

ralphpal

Ed Vette

Quote from: ralphpal on June 10, 2022, 07:47:21 PM
Scarface
The wicked witch
Scrooge
Dark vader
The WW is a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: Ed Vette on June 10, 2022, 09:49:44 PM
The WW is a good one.

As a kid, the Wicked Witch of the West from Oz was the most terrifying person to me and my first introduction to horror on TV. What's really funny though, is that in real life she was 5 feet tall and 90 lbs. She loved kids, was a Kindergarten teacher and a Sunday School teacher and was known as being very sweet. But she scared the living crap out of me as the meanest, most terrifying witch ever  :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

Ed Vette

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on June 11, 2022, 08:36:34 AM
As a kid, the Wicked Witch of the West from Oz was the most terrifying person to me and my first introduction to horror on TV. What's really funny though, is that in real life she was 5 feet tall and 90 lbs. She loved kids, was a Kindergarten teacher and a Sunday School teacher and was known as being very sweet. But she scared the living crap out of me as the meanest, most terrifying witch ever  :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:
Margaret Hamilton was the perfect actress for that part with that screeching laughter.

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

Quote from: Ed Vette on June 11, 2022, 08:54:34 AM
Margaret Hamilton was the perfect actress for that part with that screeching laughter.

You said it, she was perfect for that role. She almost died doing it also, when her costume caught on fire when she disappeared the first time in Munchkin Land. She did get burned.

Funny though, it WAs an iconic role but most people ended up knowing her from those Maxwell House commercials, as Cora

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRTyLbUTiMA

PS, the red-headed 'kid' is David Caruso

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Without going thru this thread again, here are a few more 'characters' that made good movies great and great movies, outstanding. As we have already said, sometimes it's not the star, but another character that people remember that made that movie great.

Joe Pesci--My Cousin Vinnie
AND you also have to add Maria Tomei and Fred Gywnn as co-stars who, without them, the movie never would have been what it was.

Daniel Day-Lewis (in basically anything he ever did) but I want to site Bill 'The Butcher' Cutting in Gangs of New York. Whenever he was on screen the movie just seemed to amp up another notch

John Travolta as Tony Manero in Saturday Night Fever

Peter Finch as Howard Beale in Network (You know, I'm mad as hell)

Samuel Jackson as Jules Winnfield in Pulp Fiction

Dustin Hoffman as Ratso Rizzo in Midnight Cowboy

Robert Shaw as Quint in Jaws (Just a perfect example of a guy that sort of steals the movie)

Sidney Pointier as Virgil Tibbs in --In the Heat of the Night  (also add t that Rod Steiger as an equally great performance)

Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates in Psycho

Bela Lugosi as Dracula (Could there ever be a better Dracula?)

Jack Nicholson (again, one of many) as the Joker in the first Batman. To me, the movie dragged except when he was on screen. What a tour-de-farce for him.

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

QuoteGood points!

Joe Pesci--My Cousin Vinnie
AND you also have to add Marisa Tomei and Fred Gywnn as co-stars who, without them, the movie never would have been what it was.

No doubt the movie would never have been the same without Marisa and Fred - both fantastic supporting roles. It really launched Marisa Tomei's career. I read a recent article (maybe from this board...IDK) that Fred regretted playing Herman Munster. After all, he was a Harvard graduate and had prepared for Shakespearean roles on stage. Regardless, he was incredible as the judge on My Cousin Vinnie (one of my favorite movies of all time)

QuoteSamuel Jackson as Jules Winnfield in Pulp Fiction

Jackson was great, superb even...but I thought Travolta was as good or better in Pulp Fiction. Travolta's nonchalant attitude during bloody killing scenes and that stoic expression of a dumb hitman...and his dance with Uma really made the movie

Jack Nicholson was a good Joker in one of the earlier Batman movies. The other movies you shared I have never seen before[/font]

LennG

Quote from: Jolly Blue Giant on June 11, 2022, 05:17:05 PM
No doubt the movie would never have been the same without Marisa and Fred - both fantastic supporting roles. It really launched Marisa Tomei's career. I read a recent article (maybe from this board...IDK) that Fred regretted playing Herman Munster. After all, he was a Harvard graduate and had prepared for Shakespearean roles on stage. Regardless, he was incredible as the judge on My Cousin Vinnie (one of my favorite movies of all time)

Jackson was great, superb even...but I thought Travolta was as good or better in Pulp Fiction. Travolta's nonchalant attitude during bloody killing scenes and that stoic expression of a dumb hitman...and his dance with Uma really made the movie

Jack Nicholson was a good Joker in one of the earlier Batman movies. The other movies you shared I have never seen before

My friend Ric, I am truly amazed that you have never seen the original Dracula, Saturday Night Fever, Midnight Cowboy, In The Heat Of The Night,and even Psycho. You have a lot of catching up to do.   =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on June 11, 2022, 05:27:11 PMMy friend Ric, I am truly amazed that you have never seen the original Dracula, Saturday Night Fever, Midnight Cowboy, In The Heat Of The Night,and even Psycho. You have a lot of catching up to do.   =))  =))  =))  =))  =))  =))

Yeah, people tell me all the time that there are huge movie hits that I never watched and there's something wrong with me (which is true)...Jaws, Hannibal, Silence of the Lambs, any of the Rocky movies, not to mention The Godfather. None of the genres really intrigue me

Bill Brown

Ric. If you are thinking of watching any of those that Lenn suggested I would recommend In the Heat of the Night and The Godfather. Amazing performances in both films.

Bill
""The Turk" comes for all of us.  We just don't know when he will knock."

ozzie

"I'll probably buy a helmet too because my in-laws are already buying batteries."
— Joe Judge on returning to Philadelphia, his hometown, as a head coach

"...until we start winning games, words are meaningless."
John Mara