News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Re: Good (or bad) Movies PART 2

Started by LennG, January 23, 2017, 07:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimv

Well, Lenny, I never saw the movie but your review tells me not to try & watch it.  I did know about the chain smoking but none of the other stuff.  If you remember, in the "The Man Whot Shot Liberty  Vanance," the reporter says, "When reality differs with legend, print the legand."  For those of us who lived in those days, I think most of us prefer the legend.

I can rememberr, as most of us can, exactly what I was doing wwhen the assassination took place.  It was followed by a terribly sad weekend.  BTW, it is tradition tobury the President the way JFK was buried.

LennG

Jim

Not to give parts of the movie away, but Jackie wanted the whole possession to march down, from the Capital, to the church. The Secret Service was vehemently against this as they didn't know if JFK's assassination was a plot and there were others out there. Plus there were about 100 figures of state from all over the world attending the funeral, and they feared for their safety. They also feared for Johnson, and anyone else who would be marching those 8 blocks from the Capital to the church. Jackie wanted it this way as this was what they did when Lincoln was assassinated and buried.  Jackie changed her mind several times on this, but ultimately it went the way SHE wanted, not because of any tradition. She insisted on certain bagpipe players among other things in the possession. 

Don't get me wrong here, I think you might enjoy the movie, if just for the details they put in it. They had many clips, of when Jackie did her TV tour of the White House. I am glad I watched it, and I think, if you can, you should give it a shot and see what you think. It really got mixed reviews, from boring and slow to outstanding drama and it gives us a peek into an area that we know completely nothing about--what happened behind closed doors from the assassination to when he was buried. As I said, no one really knows the absolute truth but this gives you a pretty good detail.

I know one part, when they asked Jackie if she wanted to change her clothes, the one outfit she wore with all the blood on it. She replied, 'No, let them all see what they have done" and I know that is a true statement. She did say that.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Last night we watched a very interesting movie, "Lion" starring an entire Indian cast except for  Nicole Kidman, Rooney Mara and a couple of other sort of unknowns. As I said, it was a very interesting movie, that I am still wondering about.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3741834/

It is an Australian made movie about a 5 year old Indian boy who goes off with his brother and gets lost on a train that takes him 1500 miles away from home. Thru a series of events he goes to an orphanage and is adopted by Kidman and husband in Australia. He grows up and 25 years later, and after some prodding, he wants to find his family in India. BTW it is a true story.

Myself, I found the movie a bit boring at the beginning, but it does pick up steam in the second half. You have to understand there is NO action, no fights, nothing being blown up, just a sort of human interest story that sort of grabs you and doesn't let go. In the end, I liked it and my DW more than me. It is a bit slow and sort of depressing in parts, but if you hand in there you will be rewarded with a real heartwarming movie.

I would recommend this movie to all, but young children just will not understand what is going on. It is suitable for older children and up. A good watch especially for adults.

PS  It is named Lion as that is what the main characters name translates to.

I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Quote from: LennG on April 08, 2017, 12:03:36 PM
Last night we watched a very interesting movie, "Lion" starring an entire Indian cast except for  Nicole Kidman, Rooney Mara and a couple of other sort of unknowns. As I said, it was a very interesting movie, that I am still wondering about.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3741834/

It is an Australian made movie about a 5 year old Indian boy who goes off with his brother and gets lost on a train that takes him 1500 miles away from home. Thru a series of events he goes to an orphanage and is adopted by Kidman and husband in Australia. He grows up and 25 years later, and after some prodding, he wants to find his family in India. BTW it is a true story.

Myself, I found the movie a bit boring at the beginning, but it does pick up steam in the second half. You have to understand there is NO action, no fights, nothing being blown up, just a sort of human interest story that sort of grabs you and doesn't let go. In the end, I liked it and my DW more than me. It is a bit slow and sort of depressing in parts, but if you hand in there you will be rewarded with a real heartwarming movie.

I would recommend this movie to all, but young children just will not understand what is going on. It is suitable for older children and up. A good watch especially for adults.

PS  It is named Lion as that is what the main characters name translates to.

I saw this too. I enjoyed it and yes it is slow moving.
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

jimv

This evening I watched "U.S.S. Indianapolis,,,"  I knew about the tragic story of the ship & its crew but not the details.  I'm not  a fan of Nicolas Cage who's the star but he did OK.  The true story is compelling.   And, not knowing the entire story, the ending was shocking to me.  I recommend it.

Ed Vette

Quote from: jimv on April 15, 2017, 11:23:35 PM
This evening I watched "U.S.S. Indianapolis,,,"  I knew about the tragic story of the ship & its crew but not the details.  I'm not  a fan of Nicolas Cage who's the star but he did OK.  The true story is compelling.   And, not knowing the entire story, the ending was shocking to me.  I recommend it.
How can a ship be out of touch with communications for four days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

jimv

Quote from: Vette on April 17, 2017, 10:26:45 AM
How can a ship be out of touch with communications for four days?

You have to watch to understand how it happened.  It's a really sad story.

squibber

I saw a quirky movie called Paterson.  It was filmed in Paterson, NJ and the lead character's name is also Paterson.  I thought I would mention it because some BBH members may be from there and also because there are a lot of thinking men on this site.  If you like poetry and a thinking man movie, you might like this slice of life movie.  It's about a bus driver who deals with the daily drudgery of his job and life by writing poems.  His wife is flaky and loveable but directionless.  A slow moving movie but after it was over, I thought about things a lot.

LennG

Last night we watched an interesting movie, "The Founder" starring Michael Keaton as Ray Kroc, the supposedly founder of McDonald s.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4276820/

This is the true story of how Ray Kroc (Michael Keaton), a struggling salesman from Illinois, met Mac and Dick McDonald, who were running a burger operation in 1950s Southern California. Kroc was impressed by the brothers' speedy system of making the food and saw franchise potential. It details how Kroc maneuvered himself into a position to be able to pull the company from the brothers and create a billion-dollar empire. The film also stars Laura Dern as Ray Kroc's first wife Ethel;

My take, I found the movie pretty good. Can't say exactly how true to detail it was, but I did learn a lot about Kroc and how he became the head honcho of McDonald's. Micheal Keaton was excellent in this role. I really thought it was Oscar worthy. One thing I did learn was that Kroc was not a very nice man overall, as many become once power and money enter their lives. I see that this movie wasn't a huge box office success, but I would recommend it. Obviously this movie didn't appeal to kids and teens, but it could be a decent enough family movie, but I would say it is more of an adult type movie.

see it just for the extraordinary performance by Keaton.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

Quote from: LennG on April 22, 2017, 12:56:45 PM
Last night we watched an interesting movie, "The Founder" starring Michael Keaton as Ray Kroc, the supposedly founder of McDonald s.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4276820/

This is the true story of how Ray Kroc (Michael Keaton), a struggling salesman from Illinois, met Mac and Dick McDonald, who were running a burger operation in 1950s Southern California. Kroc was impressed by the brothers' speedy system of making the food and saw franchise potential. It details how Kroc maneuvered himself into a position to be able to pull the company from the brothers and create a billion-dollar empire. The film also stars Laura Dern as Ray Kroc's first wife Ethel;

My take, I found the movie pretty good. Can't say exactly how true to detail it was, but I did learn a lot about Kroc and how he became the head honcho of McDonald's. Micheal Keaton was excellent in this role. I really thought it was Oscar worthy. One thing I did learn was that Kroc was not a very nice man overall, as many become once power and money enter their lives. I see that this movie wasn't a huge box office success, but I would recommend it. Obviously this movie didn't appeal to kids and teens, but it could be a decent enough family movie, but I would say it is more of an adult type movie.

see it just for the extraordinary performance by Keaton.
I saw this movie. Very good and Linda liked it more than I did.

~ Coach Tom Coughlin

LennG

I watched another very new release yesterday, 'Life' another in a seemingly endless trend of modern SciFi movies. Personally, I like SciFi movies very much,a s long as they are well done and not just trying to capitalize on this 'new' trend.

Anyway, Life  stars Jake Gyllenhaal and a bunch of others that I never heard of. Overall Life is just another in a long line of 'Alien' remakes with just a few different twists to it. Gosh, you could even go back to 'The Thing' and the plot is still about the same. -- Space craft in outer space, comes across a form of Alien life, tries to manage it. it escapes and gets the crew one by one until there is either no one left or they get the alien.
IMVHO Alien and Aliens was done much better, but if you don't mind the repetitions and like SciFi flixs, you should like this one also.

In this movie, the space craft has a bunch of scientists who are trying to find life on Mars. They recover a capsule which contains a microscopic organism from mars and the world celebrates the first time finding of an alien life form. But, you know, all cannot be rosy, and soon the alien life form needs food--you guessed it--humans are it's specialty. 

Again, if this isn't your cup of tea, don't bother, but if you like things like this, give it a watch. It isn't gory with very little blood and even the 'alien' isn't bad to look at.

But, for the life of me, when 'scientists' (smart people) know that they must keep something like this quarantined, why does some one always feel the need to open something up to let it out. OK, if not there would be no movie.

Overall, for everyone, but young kids may be scared of the alien form and very eerie music.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Last night we sat down to watch 'Hidden Figures' starring Kevin Costner and 3 lovely African American women who I really never heard of before.

This is the 'true' story of 3 African American women who work at NASA and each, in their own way helped the United States Space program get off the ground. Each are superior minds (maybe even genius's) and the movie goes into great detail their trials and everyday working environment in the early 60's. Since NASA was based at Langley AFB at that time which is in Hampton, Virginia, the 'Negro' is still a second class citizen. My own personal take on this is that they sort of went a bit over the top basically making every white person in the movie, a racist, who did whatever they could to make Blacks feel inferior. But, I'm sure much was true,a s for the conditions these young ladies had to endure, being Black in a 1960's southern area.

Each woman, in their own right, did ground breaking work for NASA and to improve the racial conditions where they worked. How much of this is really true to life, we won't know, but the woman handled whatever was thrown at them with class and with dedication to their job despite overwhelming odds.

We did enjoy the movie, but again, we were very disappointed that they made EVERY white person a basic racist. Myself, I really can't believe that could be the case. But beside that, I would recommend this movie to one and all. It is a great story of the courage of these women and how they helped our space program get off the ground. It is for all to see,. Children might be bored but even on an educational level, it should be seen by young and old alike.

A good watch

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4846340/

PS--I have to add a followup. I did a bit of research to see if some of the 'facts' in the movie were what really was. In the movie, one of the ladies was shown to have to run 1/4 of a mile, from where she worked, to use a colored only bathroom. I found an interview with Ms Johnson on UTube who said this was just not so. It never happened like that. She was basically accepted into her work environment as the space mission was more important than racial differences. Leave it to Hollywood to take a great story and make a racial issue out of it, for sympathy towards one race. I understand there were many problems, but why make stuff up when you advertise a movie as 'TRUE'.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

I never heard of the movie, Lenny.  Thanks for the review AND comments.  I think I'll skip it.

LennG

Jim

This was one of the 'big' movies of 2016 and knowing you, I believe you would like this movie. Do try and see it. It got great reviews and it is very entertaining.

Charlie Weiss

Ed Vette

I liked that movie a lot. Lenn, I'm sure they took liberties in the script but think of where the setting was. You grew up in NY. Much different down there in that decade. Now they just whisper.

~ Coach Tom Coughlin