News:

Moderation Team: Vette, babywhales, Bob In PA, gregf, bighitterdalama, beaugestus, T200

Owner: MightyGiants

Link To Live Chat

Mastodon

Main Menu

Re: Good (or bad) Movies PART 2

Started by LennG, January 23, 2017, 07:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LennG

Really sorry for your lose JBB and that of your sister. One should never know such tragedies, but in cases like that, I can see how one would question the existence of GOD, even devout believers.

Thanks for the heads up on the book. Myself, I didn't care for the movie, and I'm sure I wouldn't care for the book either, but, I'm sure it could b e a good read for others.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

Last night we watched the latest in an never ending list of super heroes movies, 'Wonder Woman". The movie  just opened and was doing great at the box office and I can see why. It should appeal to just about every teenager in the world who loves these type of movies. Lots of action, lot s of things blown up and a real looker as Wonder Woman. So what did I think--- I could have lived an entire life and never missed this movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0451279/

My take, as I have said many times, I am usually not a fan of these type of super hero type movies. It really has to be something special to make me like it and this one wasn't. I don't know if there have been other Wonder Woman movies, but I certainly remember Lynda Carter as Wonder woman on TV. She was a God to many of us growing up. Myself, I don't know if there is a particular story of how Wonder Woman started, like superman or Batman, there is a specific story as to how they became their characters. In this case there is a story of how she became Wonder Woman so I'll leave it at that. Story wise, (????) we are in the final stages of WWI, Germans are about to sign the armistice, but wait, certain Germans are developing a new weapon that can save German and win the war. So Wonder Women, believing that this 'mad' German is really the God of war--Ares, who she has vowed to slay, figures if she kills him, the German will surrender and the war will be over. Got all that. Obviously, you know how it will end, so now half the kids in America will believe Wonder Woman actually won WWI. (as they did believe Captain America won WWII). And we wonder why kids know nothing about history.

Anyway, for ME, the movie was just plain silly. Lot's of Special effects, some are dazzling, but just too many explosions and no substance. After all, it was made for kids and teens and it is a summer blockbuster, so of that's what they want to see, give it to them. It surely is made for the entire family, even for young kids. No scary creatures, just a silly plot and good looking people..
If I had to rate it, 2 stars, just for some real great special effects. If there is ever a Part II, I pass.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

THANKS for the review, Lenny!  I wouldn't have seen it anyway but this is just another sign that everything in the movies today is "special effects." :boooo:

For a change of pace from this crap, this past week I watched "Treasure of Sierra Madre," "Magnificent Seven," "Man for all Seasons," "High Noon" & "Singin' in the Rain;" REAL MOVIES!!!!!!!!!

LennG

Jim

I watched a movie the other day, 'Truth', starring Robert Redford as Dan Rather and Cate Blanchett as a producer on 60 Minutes. It is the true story of how 60 Minutes ran a story about George Bush and how he apparently got out of his military duties. Turns out some of the facts weren't right and it ultimately led to the retirement of Rather and the firing of this producer. Redford was terrific as Rather, even looked something like him. For me, I just love these true to life stories that I really remember, but have forgotten many of the subplots. If you haven't seen this movie, get it and watch it. Just a very entertaining watch.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3859076/

BTW, I am rewatching 'A Man For All Seasons', and I just recorded 'Z', which I haven't seen in many, many years.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on June 17, 2017, 12:30:04 PM
Last night we watched the latest in an never ending list of super heroes movies, 'Wonder Woman". The movie  just opened and was doing great at the box office and I can see why. It should appeal to just about every teenager in the world who loves these type of movies. Lots of action, lot s of things blown up and a real looker as Wonder Woman. So what did I think--- I could have lived an entire life and never missed this movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0451279/

My take, as I have said many times, I am usually not a fan of these type of super hero type movies. It really has to be something special to make me like it and this one wasn't. I don't know if there have been other Wonder Woman movies, but I certainly remember Lynda Carter as Wonder woman on TV. She was a God to many of us growing up. Myself, I don't know if there is a particular story of how Wonder Woman started, like superman or Batman, there is a specific story as to how they became their characters. In this case there is a story of how she became Wonder Woman so I'll leave it at that. Story wise, (????) we are in the final stages of WWI, Germans are about to sign the armistice, but wait, certain Germans are developing a new weapon that can save German and win the war. So Wonder Women, believing that this 'mad' German is really the God of war--Ares, who she has vowed to slay, figures if she kills him, the German will surrender and the war will be over. Got all that. Obviously, you know how it will end, so now half the kids in America will believe Wonder Woman actually won WWI. (as they did believe Captain America won WWII). And we wonder why kids know nothing about history.

Anyway, for ME, the movie was just plain silly. Lot's of Special effects, some are dazzling, but just too many explosions and no substance. After all, it was made for kids and teens and it is a summer blockbuster, so of that's what they want to see, give it to them. It surely is made for the entire family, even for young kids. No scary creatures, just a silly plot and good looking people..
If I had to rate it, 2 stars, just for some real great special effects. If there is ever a Part II, I pass.

I haven't seen it (and won't unless it's on TV someday and my grandkids want to watch it), but I read an interesting tidbit on the movie concerning Gal Gadot, the Israeli actress who played Wonder Woman. She was 5 months pregnant with her second child while doing some of the most intense battle scenes. She had quite a baby bump so the producers put a green triangular cloth on her protruding belly so they could doctor the scenes via computer trickery after the shoot was done.

Having had a wife who gave birth to my four children, I can honestly say that I think that is amazing in itself. I don't think I could watch the movie without thinking about that every time she was in a scene.
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

How times have changed    :what: :what: :what: :what:

Remember when my wife was pregnant, she didn't it around and knit little booties, but she sure wouldn't go around doing acrobatics. I really surprised a women that far pregnant would risk doing stunts like that, but, as I said, different world today.

Charlie Weiss

Jolly Blue Giant

Quote from: LennG on June 19, 2017, 08:37:23 PM
How times have changed    :what: :what: :what: :what:

Remember when my wife was pregnant, she didn't it around and knit little booties, but she sure wouldn't go around doing acrobatics. I really surprised a women that far pregnant would risk doing stunts like that, but, as I said, different world today.

LOL - neither did mine. When my wife was 9 months pregnant with our first, she went down to the local park where they have really high swing sets and would swing quite high and then leap out of the seat and fall about 10 feet. I told her not to do that because she was going to get hurt, but she refused to listen. She was tired of waiting for the baby to come out and thought maybe that would make it start. It didn't. She was extremely active (still is), very athletic, and young. She weighed 116 lbs before getting pregnant, put on less than 10 lbs during the pregnancy, had a 9 lb baby boy, and left the hospital at 116 lbs in the same tight jeans she was wearing before she became pregnant. One poor nurse who was helping with the delivery was 6 months pregnant and bigger than a barn having retained gallons of water. When my wife gave birth, he stomach went down to nothing and without a single stretch mark. The nurse kept looking at her and said, "I simply hate you...", lol. But I should note that with each subsequent pregnancy, she became less careless and by the fourth one, she was pretty much idle through most of the later stages. Lucky for me, she never gained weight from any of the kids and never got a single stretch mark. She was a rare kind of baby maker! I suspect Gal Gadot has a similar set of genes to be able to do what she did in the movie.
The joke I told yesterday was so funny that,
apparently, HR wants to hear it tomorrow  :laugh:

LennG

Been away for a couple of weeks but did get a chance to watch one new movie, 'Berlin Syndrome'. This is an Australian movie so I knew no one as stars.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3335606/

So let's see if I can describe some of it without giving too much away. It is supposed to be a thriller type movie, which I found a bit less than thrilling.
A young girl meets handsome guy. They hook up start a relationship and then sleep together. He goes off to work the next day and she tidies up and then wants to leave, but she can't. All ways of leaving the apartment are blocked. he comes home and the4y fight and she ends up sort of becoming his sort of slave. He ties her up, he unties her, they seem to have a stupid type of relationship even as she tries every which way of escaping.
Personally, I found the movie to be less than thrilling, and \this plot line ahs been done several other times, last in "The Collector'. I won't say what happens at the end, but I really think she could have found a way to escape, or at least, if it were me, I would have tried a bit harder. The young girl did look pretty good naked, and that might add an extra star, but alas, even that didn't help me enjoy this that much. I did stick it pout to the end though, just to see what does happen.

Again, 2 stars and definitely not for young teens.

Charlie Weiss

LennG

We have been a fan of animated movies from my childhood days watching classics from the Disney collection. We continued while our kids were growing up and now with our grandchildren. That said, when they aren't around, we still enjoy many of the movies of this genre being made today. Companies like PIXAR and what they produce, are a joy to watch and enjoy. You don't have to be a child to enjoy these types of movies.

So, yesterday we got to watch the latest in the Despicable Me series,' Despicable Me 3"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3469046/. I have been a fan of this now trilogy since it started several years ago. It is cute, smart and funny and for the most part, endearing to all. And, of course, the Minions are back and cute as ever.
Story wise, Gru is fired from his anti villain job and learns he has a long lost twin brother. They get together to 'fight' the new villain, who is also, sort of cute. Who really cares, the kids are as cute as can be and, for me, it still remains an enjoyable watch. I still say the first in the series was the best, and this one and the last, were beneath the original, but that is not to say they are bad. They are very enjoyable. So if your kids want to see it, your grandchildren want to see it, anyone you know wants to see it, or if YOU just want to see it, go for it. The kids will love it and so will you. Highly recommended as a family outing.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

This month, TCM is running a series of Alfred Hitchcock movies.  One of them is his personal favorite; "Shadow of a Doubt," made in 1943.  I watched it on my DVR this afternoon.  It's been a number of years since I've watched it.  Joseph Cotten plays the villain, a killer known as the "Merry Widow Killer."  Since it's been so long since I've watched it, I forgot what the killer's name is.  It's Charles Oakley!  Sound familiar???????? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LennG

It is also one of my fav Hitchcock movies. I saw it on TCM but forgot to copy it. I have a copy around the house some where, so I'll try and dig it out.

Joseph cotton was one of my favorite actors. Didn't know much about him until I saw 'The Third Man' which is one of my all time favorite movies (just love that Zither score). After that I made a point of watching as many of his movies as I could. Just a great actor who could play any sort of role.
Also did scores of TV work from the 50's till the early 80's.

Charlie Weiss

jimv

Who is the wise guy who changed the name of Alfred Hitchcock? :suspious:  And, I can't modify my own post to put it back right again. ~X(

LennG

I see that also??????????????/

I guess some one doesn't like Hitch's name or movies.    :boooo: :boooo: :boooo: :boooo: :boooo:

Charlie Weiss

jimv

I had never seen the movie "Deliverance."  But, I had much about it including the dueling banjos.  Well I just watched it for the first & last time Wednesday afternoon.  I found it to be an ugly movie with ugly characters and not a shred of redeeming virtue.

LennG

WOW Jim. Personally, I have always liked that movie and have seen it several times. I know the missus also doesn't like it, but as we say, to each his own.

Charlie Weiss