Poll

Which of these do you think will describe our O-Line this year?

Far better than last year
1 (3.6%)
Somewhat better than last year
21 (75%)
Same as last year
6 (21.4%)
Somewhat worse than last year
0 (0%)
Far worse than last year
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: What do you think about our O-Line?  (Read 412 times)

Cid in Dupont

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 101
  • Best SB ever!!
    • View Profile
What do you think about our O-Line?
« on: May 19, 2017, 01:35:33 PM »
Personally I'm in the "Somewhat better camp".  In order to get there tho, here's my starting O-Line for this season...Wheeler, Pugh, Richburg, Jerry, Fluker. 

I think that Wheeler can and (and really hoping he) will beat out Flowers for the starting OLT.  But I know that's a long shot.  If he doesn't I still think that the O-Line will be somewhat better with Fluker over Hart @ ORT...and Bisnowaty pushing for the backup role.

Another important note for our O-Line, is that the depth this year will be much better wrt "high quality" backups.  Dunker, Bisnowaty, Hart, Wheeler (if he doesn't start).

Cid
Even a fool when he holds his peace is considered wise; when he closes his lips he is esteemed a man of understanding.

UncannyGfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 10
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think about our O-Line?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 01:56:53 PM »
I think health will ultimately be the biggest determinant on their average performance over the course of next season.  If the starters play all season they'll be better then the last couple of years.   Pugh (14 starts in 2015, 11 in 2016) & Schwartz/Newhouse on the right side missed significant time in 2015 & 2016. 

I'm not suggesting they would have been a top offensive line had they'd been healthy, but on average the unit would have performed better. 

UKGiantsFan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 01:59:47 PM »
I also went 'somewhat' based on the progression of Flowers and return to health of Richburg.

RT is still a mystery to me. Hoping Fluker wins the job rather than gets handed it

Uni

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 89
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 02:03:20 PM »
The OLine will be better with the addition of Ellison. None of the TEs on the roster last year could block worth a lick, and Eliison can block inline and from the fullback spot. That will immediately help the running game and he's an even better pass blocker.

I think the line will end up: Flowers-Pugh-Richburg-Fluker-Bisnowaty. I don't think Flowers is going anywhere if he shows even a little improvement.

bamagiantfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 238
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 02:34:10 PM »
I would love to have a thought, but I still don't know what it looks like yet. I think Center is set and I'm 90% sure who will be at Guard, but even that is open to competition. The Tackle situation has a lot of new bodies competing for spots, including a former 1st Round pick.

So, I think there has been a significant upgrade to depth with the addition of Fluker and the various interchangeable parts. I also agree with Uni that if a DE starts terrorizing Flowers or the ORT, Ellison can be lined up next to the tackle and that will put an end to that. However, the starting 5 names and performance as a group will remain an unanswered question. I don't see how we can answer that one.
Go Giants!

Zombo

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 02:40:37 PM »
somewhat better for me too

and that's a damn low bar to set...

Jaime

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 178
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 02:51:03 PM »
Cid, from what I've been able to glean, Bisnowaty is The Rook most likely to see snaps early. Wheeler has a downplayed injury history that could be problematic. He also lacks NFL core strength and struggles with speed on the edge. There was mention that he would evolve into a guard, to be determined? Bisnowaty is a totally different story. He's described as a very good athlete, good NFL core strength, very quick and light on his feet. Jerry's going to have his hands full no doubt about that at Right Guard. If Fluker can stay healthy, I think he takes over at right tackle. So depending on how the brakes go, we could have a new  Right Guard and new right tackle in the opening game.

Flowers is the Joker here. If he can't show at least minimal improvement over last year, the OL might have to be reshuffled? I think we have enough moving parts  to handle that happenstance.  but I sure wouldn't want to. So I'm a "Somewhat" guy for now. :yes:

4thand17

• All-Pro
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 05:12:49 PM »
I went "Somewhat" simply based on the hope of Pugh and Richburg staying healthy.  Less push up the middle then.

I don't get Fluker at RG. He's graded out terribly there. Like him much better at RT.

I think there is potentially more depth at backup this year.

Don't have high hopes for Flowers. I remember watching him do the drills at the combine and thinking he was the worst guy out there.

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 417
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 05:40:45 PM »
Somewhat with the Jury still sitting in the box. I'm not so sure that Fluker is an improvement over Newhouse. I am cautiously optimistic that the off-season work by Flowers will help him to transition into a better player. I think Ellison is a huge addition in pass protection with Adams also now in his second season and the addition of a legit weapon at the TE position in Engram. The second season of Perkins and the addition of Gallman is a plus but there is a concern of the lack of a true successful Veteran at that RB position. 

The success or failure of the O-line is multi-faceted so a couple of items are now checked off the list. Don't get your hopes up too high for an undrafted FA and a 6th round pick to step in and start. It's not happening, Cid.   
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

todge

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 210
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 05:55:16 PM »
I went "Somewhat" simply based on the hope of Pugh and Richburg staying healthy.  Less push up the middle then.

I don't get Fluker at RG. He's graded out terribly there. Like him much better at RT.

I think there is potentially more depth at backup this year.

Don't have high hopes for Flowers. I remember watching him do the drills at the combine and thinking he was the worst guy out there.

Flowers did not participate in the positional drills at the Combine. Bench Press and 40x only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Painter

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 206
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2017, 07:20:52 PM »
I don't expect Flowers to be any worse than last year, rather I expect some improvement in his play. Otherwise, someone else will be playing OLT and that in itself should mean an improvement. I don't know to what extent Richburg's hand injury affected his performance last year but now being 100 percent is better than not being.

Every bit as important will be a healthy season from Justin Pugh who missed 6 games with a knee injury, last year. Both Bobby Hart and Brett Jones filled in for him at OLG. I think that's how those two will fit the roster this year as versatile backup/ rotational players; Hart OG/ORT; Jones OC/OG.

I expect Jerry and Fluker to be the starters on the right side at OG and OT, respectively.  Fluker should be at least as good in pass protection as Newhouse, and will be a hell of a lot better run blocker. Jerry's pass blocking has been decent. His weakness as a run blocker may be compensated by having Ellison lead blocking in the run game. And of course, Ellison may be called upon to do some pass blocking if there are problems at OLT. But let's hope not.

As Ellison is not a runner, it will be interesting to see how often the Giants go with 21 personnel which otherwise limits them to 2 WRs and a TE.  Of course, they have a TE in Engram who is more WR than TE and with Ellison at HBack, they may not need a "TE".

As for who backs-up/ challenges Flowers: Bisnowaty, or one of the UdFAs, it can be seen as a step forward over last year's non-functioning Beatty, I would think.

I chose "somewhat better" and, if it is, that should be good enough.

Cheers!

beaugestus

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 83
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2017, 08:41:13 PM »
I am somewhat confused about my perception of JRs attitude regarding the OL and the obvious OT positions. Is he seeing something we are not? Is he thinking that even if there is only a little better performance at those positions, is it enough? I think most of us believe this team can go a long way this season if the OL can come up with at least an average season. We taking for granted that they did win 11 games last year? Are we being too negative about them? I think the overall depth of the unit is better. There is a couple of new people who might make the roster and compete. I have given JR the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the draft was not much better than they had or at least for this year. I just feel that Jerry has made a big bet on them. I know we all hope he is right.

Doc16LT56

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 39
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2017, 09:06:20 PM »
Flowers did not participate in the positional drills at the Combine. Bench Press and 40x only.

Flowers did positional drills at the Combine. He also did most of the drills at Miami's Pro Day. A lot of us watched his kick slide and thought he should be moved to guard.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000477729/Ereck-Flowers-2015-Combine-Workout

todge

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2017, 10:28:17 PM »
Flowers did positional drills at the Combine. He also did most of the drills at Miami's Pro Day. A lot of us watched his kick slide and thought he should be moved to guard.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap3000000477729/Ereck-Flowers-2015-Combine-Workout

At the Combine - Flowers declined to participate in the 3 Cone Drill which is considered to be the most important positional drill for OLs because it reveals footwork. He also declined to participate in the Vertical and Broad Jumps as well as the 20 Yard Dash.

You are right in that he did some of the drills. But he was clearly counseled by his advisors to avoid the drills that would have exposed his weaknesses.

Just about every Scout saw that Flowers did not have the feet to play OLT at this level. But the stubborn Giant contingent thinks they are smarter than anyone else and are dead set on proving to everyone that they are right.

If anyone can produce a Scouting Report that said Flowers could be a Franchise left tackle, I would love to see it. As an amateur draftnik, I poured through a ton of reports and almost universally they assessed that Flowers projected to ORT or G at the next level. One scout said Flowers had the worst feet of any tackle prospect he had seen in the last five years and was stunned by the Giants grading him so high.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 10:52:03 PM by todge »

todge

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 10:45:45 PM »
I am somewhat confused about my perception of JRs attitude regarding the OL and the obvious OT positions. Is he seeing something we are not? Is he thinking that even if there is only a little better performance at those positions, is it enough? I think most of us believe this team can go a long way this season if the OL can come up with at least an average season. We taking for granted that they did win 11 games last year? Are we being too negative about them? I think the overall depth of the unit is better. There is a couple of new people who might make the roster and compete. I have given JR the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the draft was not much better than they had or at least for this year. I just feel that Jerry has made a big bet on them. I know we all hope he is right.

It has become pretty apparent beau that this Scouting Staff has issues with evaluating offensive linemen. I don't know how anyone can even argue this point to the contrary.

Did you see JRs comments on Bisnowaty? He repeatedly said that "we think he is a tackle". Jerry - did you see any of the Senior Bowl week tapes? Your tackle was an embarrassment getting beaten so bad play after play that the coaches had to move him inside so as to not get his QB injured. Yet you think this kid can play tackle at this level after seeing that? What are you looking at?!

« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 11:28:43 PM by todge »