Author Topic: Question for those who live in the tri-state area.  (Read 175 times)

squibber

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 19
    • View Profile
Question for those who live in the tri-state area.
« on: May 30, 2017, 03:02:17 PM »
My son is starting to grow weary of Texas.  He's starting to wish he was within a reasonable drive of New York City.  So I would like to pitch a city/town in either Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut or NE Pennsylvania.  That would put him much closer to us.  He probably would want an area that is fun for a young person, a good job market, decent cost of living and fairly safe.

Any suggestions?

LennG

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 493
  • My Man YA
    • View Profile
Re: Question for those who live in the tri-state area.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 07:56:46 PM »
I live on Long Island, and to be honest, there are many 'safe' places here, bu they ain't cheap. PLUS, the cost of living may be close to the highest in the nation. Homes are expensive, apartments are probably worse. Really not the best place for a single young man to live.

You might find some places in the boroughs of Queens or Brooklyn, bu I'm no too familiar with the 'safer' neighborhoods and apartments are expensive even there. You have to understand people cannot afford Manhattan, so they try to get as close to Manhattan as they can and live a bit cheaper. The further away from Manhattan you go, living will probably get cheaper.

I'm sure some of our posters from Jersey can chime in about what it is like 'just over the bridge'.
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

squibber

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 08:07:24 AM »
Thanks, Lenn.  I was thinking the lower hudson valley(Orange County? Rockford County?) might be good for myself at least if me and my wife decide to move where he is.  I don't have a feel for the job market or social scene in that area though.

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 464
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 08:17:33 AM »
What is his price range for a home and the taxes?
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

squibber

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 11:09:00 AM »
Sorry guys.  I misunderstood what my son meant.  He was saying how better the NYC area is to Dallas in some regards and he needs a break from Texas but he is likely to stay in Dallas.

So please delete this thread.  Thanks.

squibber

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 08:18:19 AM »
Update:  My son is home visiting right now.  He took a day trip to a body building gym in Syosset, Long Island.  He loved it.  It looks like the NYC area bug has returned.  He is contemplating a move withing commuting distance of that gym.

I looked at the real estate in Syosset.  Wow!  Nothing under 500K if I were to move there with him some day.  Huntington and Levittown might work but I'll have to see what he is going to do.

Jim143

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 39
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 10:35:04 AM »
I was thinking the lower hudson valley(Orange County? Rockford County?)

Did you mean Rockland County?  I grew up in Orange and my Dad worked in Rockland.  I am of no use for this information though.  It's been 36 years since I left there and sadly, I've only been back 3 times.

One of these days, I will get back to the "Original" OC. . . .
"I'm just a nobody looking to stand in GOD's shadow" and try to live up to what is right and moral, I'm not Left or Right or any position, I believe in in the power of the holy spirit and prayer. I am not an angel, however I try to be as true to the rules of GOD and his son."

squibber

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2017, 11:47:25 AM »
Did you mean Rockland County?  I grew up in Orange and my Dad worked in Rockland.  I am of no use for this information though.  It's been 36 years since I left there and sadly, I've only been back 3 times.

One of these days, I will get back to the "Original" OC. . . .

Yes.  I must have been thinking of "The Rockford Files".

LennG

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • My Man YA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 08:45:23 PM »
I agree about Syosset, there aren't many cheap places there and if he is looking to buy a house, be prepared for property taxes of over 10Gs. Don't know about rentals. Syosset is about an hour train ride to Manhattan on the LIRR. If he is to work in Manhattan, then add a hefty fare for a monthly ticket on LIRR, and forget driving. It would be a nightmare. Syosset may not seem far out as LI goes, but it is out there and the only way is the parking lot called the Long Island Expressway. Huntington is further out, so the cost factor in commuting wouod be worse. There are cheaper parts of Huntington, but the neighborhood changes as does the price. Levittown is a bit closer and could be a bit of an easier commute, but not by much. Levittown would be cheaper than Syosset, by how much, I could tell, but it is also a very desirable location and the prices reflect that. Excellent baseball in Levittown though. I know that doesn't mean anything to you, but to me, as an umpire, I love doing gmes there.  :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:
I HATE TO INCLUDE THE WORD NASTY< BUT THAT IS PART OF BEING A WINNING FOOTBALL TEAM.

Charlie Weiss

squibber

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 08:56:40 AM »
I agree about Syosset, there aren't many cheap places there and if he is looking to buy a house, be prepared for property taxes of over 10Gs. Don't know about rentals. Syosset is about an hour train ride to Manhattan on the LIRR. If he is to work in Manhattan, then add a hefty fare for a monthly ticket on LIRR, and forget driving. It would be a nightmare. Syosset may not seem far out as LI goes, but it is out there and the only way is the parking lot called the Long Island Expressway. Huntington is further out, so the cost factor in commuting wouod be worse. There are cheaper parts of Huntington, but the neighborhood changes as does the price. Levittown is a bit closer and could be a bit of an easier commute, but not by much. Levittown would be cheaper than Syosset, by how much, I could tell, but it is also a very desirable location and the prices reflect that. Excellent baseball in Levittown though. I know that doesn't mean anything to you, but to me, as an umpire, I love doing gmes there.  :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

Thanks for the info, Lenn!  I think my son will need to find someone looking for a roommate.  He only graduated college a year ago.  I hope he can find a job right in Long Island.  I may be easier on him.

LennG

• Mod. Emeritus
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • My Man YA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2017, 09:14:23 PM »
There is plenty of work on LI, depending on his field. Working on LI would be the best thing, avoiding all the commuting and traffic.

Charlie Weiss