Author Topic: Nightmare Formation to defend  (Read 510 times)

bamagiantfan

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 265
    • View Profile
Re: Nightmare Formation to defend
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 09:48:11 AM »
It isn't the personnel that creates the issue for me, it is the system. Gilbride liked to use the WRs to widen the field and create space in the middle for TEs, slot WRs, and RBs out of the backfield. MacAdoo's offense creates more congestion in the middle forcing Safeties to step up and tackle on crossing routes, where TEs try to sneak up the numbers or run short out patterns. Green Bay (McCarthy) does the same thing. The problem as I see it is that squeezing the LBs in and pulling at least one of the safeties up just kills the running game and makes a team more one dimensional. One dimensional offenses are not hard to defend, I don't care who they run out there.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 10:06:12 AM by bamagiantfan »
Go Giants!

Dennis

• Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 88
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 10:07:21 AM »
Pat Triana wrote this yesterday
The Giants Are Going to Be More Diverse on Offense
https://insidefootball.com/new-york-giants-what-we-learned/?jps=full_post

It was part of a post minicamp report entitled "What we learned about the Giants"

The body of her comments is just another take on this topic
Not only can you expect to say good-bye to seeing defenses successfully deploy Cover-2 to stifle the giants passing game, you can also probably say goodbye to the constant presence of 11-personnel on offense.

That’s all due to the addition of tight end Evan Engram and receiver Brandon Marshall. If healthy, those two players, along with the anticipated contributions of tight end Rhett Ellison and the improved running game, should take the Giants offense which last year was as one-dimensional as a crude cartoon drawing to a whole other level.

“I think that the personnel groupings are at a point now where we can have more multiplicity,” said offensive coordinator Mike Sullivan.

“We were at a high percentage of the Zebra personnel–11 personnel, with 3 wide receivers, 1 tight end and 1 back, as people call it. With those additional tight ends and with having a couple of fullbacks that we’re taking a look at, just to have those different groupings gives the defense more to prepare for and in terms of trying to do things that will give us that balance that we want, we have a few more options.”

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 469
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2017, 07:21:49 AM »
Actually that is either 10 or 01 personnel

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin

Vette

• Administrator
  • Hall of Fame
  • Offline Offline
  • Liked: 469
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2017, 07:28:16 AM »
Where is the RB stated in this? What if Ellison is an inline blocker or chipper. I would love to see Eli alone in the backfield a couple of snaps a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"There is a greater purpose...that purpose is team. Winning, losing, playing hard, playing well, doing it for each other, winning the right way, winning the right way is a very important thing to me... Championships are won by teams who love one another, who respect one another, and play for and support one another."
~ Coach Tom Coughlin